A Dangerous Affair

A Dangerous Affair, chapter 13

“So, do you cook a lot at home then Steph?” Tom asked as he turned the oven on and transferred the chicken pieces into an oven dish.

She glanced at him from the corner of her eyes. “No,” she said with mock innocence, “I only get as far as chopping the veg.”

“Oi cheeky!” he laughed, digging his fingers into her ribs and moving around her to open a cupboard at her side. His hand remained on her waist as he reached to take a bottle of cooking oil out. It lingered there for a while before trailing across her back whilst he moved to the oven dish again.

“I have been known to produce one or two culinary delights on occasion. No one has keeled over yet from my attempts,” she grinned.

“Better not take the risk and leave the cooking to me eh,” he winked.

“I tell you what,” she put the knife down and leant backwards on the counter, watching him prepare the meat for the oven, “take a risk and leave the potatoes to me. You might be surprised at my talents.”

He turned his attention to her. She looked so sexy in a kitchen. He had no idea why. Maybe it was the way that she was leaning provocatively against the counter top. Well it seemed provocative to him.

“I’d love to experience all your talents Stephie,” he grinned, “be my guest.” He opened a cupboard below him and gestured for her to seek out the potatoes.

She crouched down, holding his gaze with her eyes. They were doing it again. Why couldn’t she resist flirting with him? His eyes moved to her blouse once more as she rooted in the cupboard. He could see the slight evidence of creamy white skin which developed into soft curves under the material. He was becoming obsessed with finding out what was hidden underneath her blouses. Then his gaze moved to the hem of her skirt, which revealed the smooth length of her legs as she crouched, and he discovered another obsession. He’d always noticed her before of course in the office but now he was spending time with her at closer quarters and she was exciting him more and more.

She stood and he returned to his task, finally placing the chicken into the oven. She finished preparing the vegetables, peeled the potatoes and moved around him to the sink to wash them. On her way an impulsive mood hit her and she put her hand on his hip, moving him aside. He turned in surprise, looking down at her hand, and his eyes widened. A smile played at his lips. They stood for a moment, watching each other with amusement until she spoke.

“You’re in the way. I need to get to the sink,” she said, her eyes moving purposely to the sink and back.

He smiled and moved aside, watching her washing the potatoes. Her silvery blonde hair fell across her flushed cheek and he would have loved to have known what she was thinking at that moment.

After slicing the potatoes thinly she raided his cupboards and fridge, pulling out butter, bacon, seasonings and spices. Tom placed the vegetables on the hob to cook and went to work on preparing a creamy sauce for the chicken whilst Stephanie stood next to him frying the potatoes. It occurred to Stephanie then that for two people who could have such fierce arguments they seemed to make a fantastic team. There appeared to be an undercurrent of competition between them that was always threatening to surface but despite this in many ways they were equal, or similar at least.

Eventually the potatoes and vegetables were ready and they only needed to wait a few minutes for the chicken to finish cooking. Stephanie returned to the sink to wash her hands and Tom decided to butt in too, knocking her hands out of the way playfully to move his under the tap. She narrowed her eyes at him and pushed his hands away at which point he decided to see how far he could push her by flicking his hands under the water and splashing her. The water spilt onto her blouse and face and she stood there glaring at him. He couldn’t quite work out her reaction though so he went on to tease her further.

“Come on Steph, you can take on Carlton but you’re not up to taking on me?”

She thought for a moment before reaching for a cup, half filling it with water and throwing it over him. His eyes searched hers in delight and he grabbed the cup off her.

“Okay,” she said nervously, “now we’re even so put the cup down Tom.” He filled it to the top and slowly approached her with a wicked glint in his eye. “Come on now, give me the cup,” she urged, holding out her hand, more for protection than anything else. He made a sudden movement and she grabbed for the cup, spilling the contents over both of them. There followed a frenzy of grabbing, pushing and laughing as they fought to spill the remains of water over each other until he eventually caught her around the waist and lifted her up onto the counter top. They both stopped then, panting for breath and wondering how she had ended up on there. His eyes flicked to the wet transparency of her blouse and took in the outline of her lacy bra underneath it. He was hit then with a desire for her so strong that it shocked even himself. Suddenly the air crackled with electricity but he was so busy picturing them naked and steamy on the counter top that he only noticed the spark in her eyes when his gaze moved to her face. His fingers began to stroke circles on her waist where his hands had remained and his eyes burned into hers. He was daring her, or she was daring him, it wasn’t clear which. His eyes fell to her mouth and he began to edge towards her but something snapped in her head and she pushed him backwards. He sighed but smiled.

“My god, you’re a temptation Miss white,” he said.