A Dangerous Affair

A Dangerous Affair Chapter 16

“I think that we should research that house more and any of Carlton’s connections,” Stephanie suggested to Tom as they pushed open the office door and entered. “And then if he doesn’t contact us we need to rethink our next course of action. Maybe we could go back to the house and keep an eye on it from afar, see who goes in and out so that at least we can get some idea of who we are dealing with if we decide to contact Hugh Carlton again.”

“Hmm, I wouldn’t mind getting out of this office as soon as we get a chance. Being scowled at by Brick all day and having the four walls of this place close in on me isn’t my idea of a fun day,” Tom replied, collapsing into a chair at Stephanie’s desk. He still had the remains of a headache and wasn’t looking forward to facing Brick. Some more fresh air was what he was hoping for. He put his forehead on the desk in an attempt to stop it from throbbing.

Stephanie looked at him and sighed. “You look as if you’re at death’s door.” She crouched down in front of him and placed her hands on either side of his head, lifting it up. “Let me see you,” she said. He was surprised by her action and gazed into the soft blue eyes so close to him. “How many aspirin did you take?”

“Two,” he replied, scrunching up his face in pain.

She sighed. “Well then you can’t take anymore at the moment but I tell you what, in the interest of Brick not skinning you alive and us actually getting some work done today, I’ll get you another coffee and something to eat because you haven’t eaten yet today and if you still have a headache in an hour I’ll risk giving you another painkiller to top up the two you took about,” she looked at her watch, “just over an hour ago.”

“You have some here?” he asked, looking hopeful.

“In my desk drawer, in case of emergencies,” she replied.

“Well this is an emergency,” he said, reaching for her drawer.

She grabbed his hand and held it away. “No you don’t, not until at least an hour! After the coffee and the food.”

“And a kiss,” he added, stroking his thumb over her hand which was still holding his. She pulled it away.

“One, you’re not getting a kiss anyway, and two, if I was to kiss you,” his face lit up, “which I wouldn’t, it certainly wouldn’t be in here!”

Tom accepted the comment but to him it just sounded as if a kiss somewhere else was on the cards.

He grinned. “Sure.”

Stephanie stood up and went to get the coffee and food for Tom. There was always an order of toasties and takeaway breakfasts in the office at that time. She picked up a fairly plain toastie and poured him a mug of coffee, returning to the desk and handing them to him.

“This is the best I can do, pick out what you don’t like from the toastie but eat it!” she ordered.

“Yes mam!” he saluted her. She smiled. She was so cute and he actually loved the authoritative Steph, she was very sexy like that. Cute and sexy, wow, that wasn’t something he ever thought he’d see together in one person. But then Stephanie was definitely a one off!

By the time Tom had finished his coffee and toastie Brick had realised that he was now in the building and a loud bellow came from his office, demanding that he see Tom immediately. Tom rolled his eyes and wearily got up out of his chair, trudging towards Brick’s office.

Stephanie watched him go and prayed that he wasn’t going to come out of the office in the same mood as he’d come out of it yesterday. Fifteen minutes later Tom re-emerged looking extremely glum. Stephanie reached into her desk drawer and pulled out some painkillers, tipping one into her hand.

“Here, you can have this now if it’s going to help,” she said, passing him the pill.

He gave her such a melancholic look and then grabbed her hand suddenly, pulling her towards the door and out into the corridor.

“What is it?” she asked in confusion.

He backed against the wall and leant his head back against it in anguish. “Have you ever just felt as if the whole world is conspiring against you Steph? Just when you are this close to getting yourself back on track, someone comes along and messes everything up!”

She looked at him quizzically. “I suppose, but why would you feel like that? What’s going on Tom?”

He had such a look of pain on his face, both physically and emotionally. “Ah, Steph,” he exclaimed, suddenly pulling her towards him. He held her tightly as if his life depended on it and she was so shocked that she put her arms around his neck and held him back.

“Won’t you tell me what’s wrong Tom?” she asked softly.

He pulled back and looked at her for a long moment before speaking. “You’re an angel you know,” he said, kissing her on the cheek, “and you’re way too good to get involved in this.” And with that he turned and went back into the office.