A Dangerous Affair

A Dangerous Affair, chapter 19

Tom led Stephanie through the lower deck, down a corridor and past a series of rooms: a lounge, dining room, and finally lower into the boat down a second set of steps. They followed a network of passageways leading to the back of the boat where a staircase led them up again to the higher decks at the far end.

“I wonder what’s up here?” Tom said, walking up another set of smaller steps which led to an individual room at the very top of the boat.

Stephanie followed Tom into the room and closed the door behind her. There were two red leather sofas in the centre of the room and a number of glass cabinets lining the walls, displaying leather bound books, cognacs and cigars.

"I'll give him this, he hasn’t got bad taste,” Tom said, surveying the range of liqueurs and cigars. Stephanie glanced at the books, trailing her fingers along the cabinets as she walked past them. She paused at a table at the end, on which was placed a chess set with intricately carved wooden pieces. She picked a piece up to study it in more detail.

"You play that game?" Tom asked.

She jumped slightly, not realising that he was standing behind her. He had taken a glass from the shelf and poured himself some cognac.

"Yes, I was just admiring these pieces though."

"Some kid at school made me play chess once. The game dragged on for hours, never played again."

She gave him a wry smile. "Well Tom, I'm not surprised. Patience is hardly your strong point."

"Stephie, you wound me with your words," Tom said, mocking her and placing a hand across his heart. "Besides, I haven’t got any choice but to be patient sometimes, eh." He gave her a purposeful grin and she smiled back, seemingly innocently.

"I'm sure you'll survive, you've got broad shoulders."

He watched her eyes move to the shoulders in question and he raised an eyebrow at her. She turned away then and strolled towards another door at the far end of the room which led out onto another small deck at the very top of the boat. She let herself out into the night and Tom followed her.

Music could be heard in the background from the far end of the boat and the mild breeze and scent of the evening air created a warm and relaxing atmosphere. They were both instinctively drawn to the wooden railing at the edge of the boat where they looked out onto the water. A network of small white lights was spread out before them in the distance.

"Beautiful view,” Stephanie said with a sigh.

"Hmm,” Tom replied, but he wasn't looking at the water anymore. "You want to dance?" he asked.

Stephanie turned to him in surprise. "What here?"

"Yeah, why not? We've got the music, the setting, the moonlight,” he said gesturing to the sky.

Stephanie hesitated. "Shouldn't we be getting back? We haven't even spoken to Henry yet. So far we have learnt nothing."

"Stephanie, life isn't all about work. Sometimes you’ve just got to go with the moment. Come on, dance with me."

He took her glass and placed it on the floor with his. Then holding her hand he lead her into the middle of the deck. She put her hand on his shoulder but he pulled her closer into him, putting his hands around her waist and leaving her no choice but to move her free hand to the back of his neck where she clasped her other arm behind his head. They moved to the music.

"You're so tense. You know the best way to completely relax?" he asked.

She looked at him warily. "Do tell."

"Let your mind wander and see where it ends up."

"What?"

"Well if I said for instance 'sky', what would you say?" he put to her.

She frowned. "I don't follow."

"What does your mind come up with when I say the word 'sky'? And no cheating, just say what first comes into your head."

She sighed. "Err, moon."

"Okay, now you’ve got it. Night,” he challenged again.

"Sleep." She closed her eyes.

"Dreams," he supplied.

"Fantasy," she said on instinct.

"Ooh, I like that one.” Tom’s pulse rate began to accelerate. “Excitement."

She opened her eyes and looked at him suspiciously. "Control."

He began trailing his fingers over the exposed skin of her back. "Lack of it."

She pulled back slightly. "Brazen."

"Lips,” he was gazing at hers, fascinated by them.

"Breath,” she said quietly.

He put his lips near to her ear. "Whispers."

She turned her head to whisper back. "Secrets." She looked up at him with intense eyes then. "When does this game end Tom?"

His eyes caressed her face. "When are you going to let me end it?"

There was a tense silence then as they stared at each other. The moment stretched on until Stephanie broke eye contact, looking down with a slight frown. Tom reacted by moving his hands from her back gently up her body to the back of her neck where they slid forward to cup her face. He coaxed her head upwards, forcing her eyes to meet his. Her blue eyes softened as they met his warm brown ones. Then he moved his head so that his lips were hovering by her cheekbone. She could feel his warm breath on her skin. He turned his head slightly to stroke his lips against the side of her face. When was she going to pull away he wondered.

She knew that this was madness but she felt so warm and utterly unable to move at that moment. He slowly inched his lips down the side of her face, nearing her lips. She held her breath, telling herself that she would have to pull away. He moved back slightly but his lips were now directly in front of hers.

God he wanted to feel her lips, taste her. It would be heavenly.

He watched her close her eyes and her mouth opened slightly, allowing her to breathe out. They stood there, their dancing stopped, as they shared each other’s breath, so close to closing the gap.