A Dangerous Affair

A Dangerous Affair , Chapter 31

The casino had a large hotel adjoining it and it was situated in a complex of shops and restaurants. They entered to an atmosphere of energy and excitement and sat at the bar with their drinks. Tom turned on his stool and scanned the room with his eyes. “What’s your game then Stephie?”

“Oh, I’m not sure. I’ve never done any of this before.”

He looked pleased. “Well don’t worry, you’ll be learning from an expert.”

She laughed. “Hmm, and so modest too!”

He stood up then. “Let’s play craps, I think you’ll like it.”

He motioned to the craps table and she looked across at it with uncertainty. The table was crowded with people shouting and cheering and she felt slightly out of her depth.

“Tom, I don’t have a clue how to play you know, think I’ll just watch.”

He placed his arm over her shoulder and gave her a reassuring smile. “I’ll look after you Stephie, come on.”

He led her to the table and cut through the crowds to make space for them. “We’ve got to wait a bit sweetheart until that marker is turned over, then we can get some chips.”

She watched the movement on the table with interest until the counter was turned and Tom threw down some money, shouting,

“Change.”

The dealer gave them some chips and Tom placed them on the rack in front of them.

“New shooter coming up, place your bets,” the man called.

Tom placed some chips on the table and took the dice. “Now we’ve got to get either a seven or eleven to win this one Stephie,” he winked, throwing the dice down the table.

“Seven, front line winner.”

“All right!” Tom shouted.

Stephanie turned to him in surprise. “Hey, you are good at this.”

“You’d better believe it!” He picked up the dice again and threw them.

“Four.”

“Did you loose?” she asked.

“No but now I’ve got to throw a four again before I throw a seven. We don’t want seven this time.”

“No seven, got it.” She closed her eyes, willing the dice to roll a four. He watched her with amusement and threw the dice. After a while she heard the crowd roar and her eyes flew open. “You won again!” she said with amazement.

He beamed at her. “Are you having fun yet Stephie?” She smiled into his eyes. “Let’s go again,” he said, picking up the dice and throwing again.

“Craps. Front line looser.”

She looked at him with a grimace. “Oops.”

“No problem. You throw the dice now Stephie,” he urged.

She looked slightly taken aback but he put the chips down and she reached for the dice. “Seven or eleven, right?”

“Right,” he smiled. As she was about to throw however he touched her arm, stopping her. “Try kissing the dice… for luck.” She laughed and held the dice to her lips, her eyes lifting to his. He winked at her. “Lucky dice!” She threw the dice and waited with a fluttery feeling in her stomach.

“Eleven.”

Jumping, she squealed and turned to Tom, grabbing his arms. “I won!”

“Wayda go Stephie! Must have been the kiss eh.”

Her eyes shone with excitement.

They continued to play craps for a while longer and the chips mounted up on the table. Then they moved to the roulette wheel and he explained the rules. The time passed as they went from table to table placing bets. He couldn’t keep his eyes off her and he thrilled in seeing her face every time they won or when he caught her eyes on him. God he was glad that she had come! Keeping her close, he took every opportunity brush his fingers with hers or caress the skin of her back as he guided her around the room. She couldn’t stop smiling; winning the bets and having him next to her that night filled her with exhilaration.

Finally they changed the chips and went back to the bar to order more drinks. She turned to him. “Champagne?”

“You need to ask?”

She ordered a bottle of champagne and poured two glasses.

“What are we drinking to?” she asked with a smile.

He took the glass and stroked her fingers. “Good times… and many more evenings like this one eh Stephie.”

“I’ll drink to that,” she said, clinking glasses with him. She swivelled on her stool to lean back against the bar and look out into the room. “So do you think anybody is going to win big money tonight?”

“Sure, some will loose big money too.”

She looked across at him then suddenly with an animated face. “What would you do if you won big, big money?”

“What, big, big, money?” he said teasing her.

She laughed. “Yep, millions.”

He smiled. “Hmm, well I’d take you away on my private jet.”

“Private jet!” She looked impressed. “Where would you take me then?”

“Some Caribbean island.” And make love to you, he thought, caressing her with his eyes. She turned around on the stool to reach her glass of champagne on the bar. As she leant forward his eyes moved down her back and noticing his gaze gave her a warm feeling inside. Their eyes met. She sat paused, suddenly unable to think of anything to say. The seconds passed and his eyes were still searching hers. She swallowed, feeling the intensity of the moment but unable to break eye contact with him. Suddenly she found it hard to breathe. She should look away or say something. He eventually broke the silence but kept his eyes on her face.

“Why did you return home so early Stephie?”

The question threw her; she couldn’t clear her clouded mind and all she could come up with was the truth.

“I realised that it wasn’t going to work between me and him and I though it wrong to continue the pretence so I told him and he wasn’t too pleased.”

Tom on the other hand was feeling extremely pleased.

“I would have stayed longer despite that but my father got wind of it all and...well it was better all round that I left there and then,” she finished.

He smiled and touched her cheek briefly before taking another sip of his champagne. “Fate is a funny thing. I guess it turns out that you weren’t meant to be at the party tonight after all!”

She smiled back and her eyes intensified. “I guess I wasn’t.”

He wondered what else the night would bring and his mind also briefly returned to her father. What would he make of him if they met? Unbeknownst to Tom however her father already knew him.