A Dangerous Affair

A Dangerous Affair , Chapter 64

As it turned out there was no ‘latest big story’ as Brick had implied, it was more of an excuse to get Tom and Stephanie back into his office to ensure that A they were working on something to keep Tom’s mind off sex for more than a few minutes and B he could make sure that Stephanie didn’t have any ideas about writing the Carlton article and angering her father to the extent that Brick himself was going to end up jobless!

Stephanie and Tom emerged from the office unimpressed with the story that Brick had instructed them to research and Tom spent most of the day avoiding doing anymore more than was absolutely necessary to make it seem as if they had started on the project. Stephanie attempted to begin work on it but if she was honest with herself she was more focused on how she was going to write the Carlton story and if she could do the whole thing justice. She would have to spend time on that at home however and then broach it with Brick when the time was right, but if it was well enough written then she figured that he would have to consider it.

At the end of the day Stephanie was sitting at her desk getting very little work done and staring into space as she tried to piece together the Carlton story in her head. Tom had been watching her for most of the day and wondering why she was making so much of an effort on this new story, or at least something was preoccupying her. The rest of the office had given up on work hours ago and they had gathered around Barker’s desk, planning Bob’s birthday bash that evening. As always Stephanie was the only one to stay away from the office banter in favour of knuckling down to work. Why did she do that? She rarely socialised with the rest of the team and Tom felt a little disconcerted to see the old Stephanie back again, the Stephanie who was unreachable. Well he’d not let things slip back again, not after all they’d been through! He edged away from the group and approached her desk with another bottle of wine that he’d managed to commandeer.

“Time for a quick top up before the part really begins,” he said, pouring wine into the glass on her desk that she’d left half drunk from earlier on. Stephanie was abruptly pulled out of her reverie and looked up at Tom mystified for a second. “It’s Bob’s birthday bash remember?” he pointed out.

“Oh, I’d completely forgotten,” she said, running a hand through her hair.

“Sure, there’s going to be a party going on at the local pub in...” he looked at his watch and laughed, “well as soon as we can all get out of here!”

Stephanie wasn’t looking as enthusiastic as Tom had hoped. “It’s going to more of a lad’s night Tom and plus I’m really quite tired,” she replied, still preoccupied with thoughts of getting home and making a start on the Carlton story.

“Hey, it isn’t just for the guys. It’s a work’s party and everyone’ll be expecting you there,” he insisted, unable to hide the disappointment in his voice.

“Don’t be silly,” she laughed. “I hardly think they’ll be worried if I’m there or not.”

“Are you kidding? Trust me, everyone’ll want you there and I’ll get all the blame for not insisting that you go. Besides, you’ve got to go, you’re my working partner now.” Tom was beginning to feel a little desperate, “more than a working partner,” he added.

Suddenly the Carlton story was out of Stephanie’s head and she felt quite honoured at the thought that maybe the other reporters really did want her there, let alone that Tom considered her ‘more then a working partner’, whatever that meant.

“I suppose I am being a bit of a stick in the mud,” she reconsidered.

“Damn right you are!” he came back quickly.

She was just warming to the idea when another thought hit her. “Oh but I need to change.”

“What?” he frowned.

Women!

“You don’t need to change Stephie. You look great. You always look great!” he said with exasperation.

“Yes but…”

Stephanie was interrupted by one of the few female reporters in the office who had been leaning against a nearby wall and eavesdropping in on the conversation.

“You’re coming tonight,” she announced decisively, pushing away from the wall and heading for the desk, “I’m not going to be the only female there yet again!”

Stephanie looked taken aback; Leah rarely even talked to her let alone insisted that she socialise with them.

“But really, I can’t go like this,” Stephanie said, looking down at her formal work clothes. She would feel out of place in the pub dressed like that. When she socialised she tended to go to the cocktail parties and grand occasions that her father insisted she attend and so her wardrobe consisted of either office wear or evening dresses. Nevertheless, she wasn't that out of touch not to realise that when the guys went out they dressed casually, and the last thing she wanted was to feel overly formal.

Leah grinned and hooked her arm through Stephanie’s, pulling her out of the seat. “Well it’s a good job that I have clothes here that you can borrow then isn’t it.”

Tom looked delighted but Stephanie was a little unsure. “Why on earth do you have spare clothes here in the office?” she asked as Leah pulled her to the office door, heading for the ladies room where they could change clothes.

Leah laughed, “You really should join in more with the after office parties, I always make sure I have spare clothes to change into.”

**********

Stephanie stood back from the mirror in the ladies room to get a better look at herself in the small mirror.

“I’m really not sure that this is me,” she said, tugging at the ultra figure hugging top and assessing the equally figure hugging black trousers.

Leah looked enviously at Stephanie. Bloody hell she couldn’t even hope to look as good in that outfit as Stephanie looked! She had a figure to die for and the men’s eyes would popping out of their heads when they saw her in that! She was right about one thing though, it wasn’t the kind of thing that she had ever seen her wear; all the more of an impact she’d make then!

“Tom is going to freak out when he sees you in that! You’re sex on legs!” Leah replied.

Stephanie looked horrified. “I’m going to change back!” she said, turning around to find her office clothes again.

Leah dived for her and held her by both arms. “You’re wearing it! You look sensational. I’m green with envy!”

Stephanie turned to the mirror again. “You know who I look like? Bloody Olivia Newton John at the end of Greece when the girls got hold of her!”

“I’d give anything to look like Olivia Newton John did then! You don’t know when you’ve got it good!” Leah came back.

“But I’m a grown woman not a teenager!” Stephanie exclaimed.

“Trust me, you look every bit of a woman in that,” Leah said, pulling her towards the door, “the men are going to go wild!”