Telling the Two Apart

002

Nina was dressed sensibly when she stepped out of her apartment building and into the slightly frigid Chicago air. It was mid-September, and where there were trees, it was beautiful. The wind wasn’t particularly strong. Nina herself had grown up in the weather of the area and was not as bundled up as, say, a tourist or other visitor might be, but she had not been out—really been out—since…well, a long time ago. Her coat seemed to swallow her up as she wrapped her arms around herself and began walking.

It wasn’t so bad. She was treating this like an adventure, when really it wasn’t—she wasn’t socially inept and she was used to society, wasn’t sheltered. She reminded herself that there really was no mountain here to conquer. No illusions of grandeur here.

Nina was one of the many residents of the country—hell, of the world—without the benefit (or burden) of a car. She did have a bicycle. She kept it in her apartment, like any reasonable urban dweller would, but had chosen not to use it today. She really needed to see things again.

She was headed to the business district, where she knew she would find Dr. Kelly Juliana, whose advertisement in the phone book had most caught her eye. She had no idea what to expect. She also had no idea of what it might cost, and whether she needed to worry about it or not, she did.

She wasn’t far from her planned destination. She passed restaurants and apartment buildings, banks and parking garages. Some people looked at her and some didn’t. She peeled her gloves off—hadn’t needed them after all—and wiggled her fingers.

She came to a stop on a busy corner, waiting for the traffic light to change. Unlike some, she was not so adventurous as to jaywalk in Chicago—drivers were not always friendly and she’d become long ago used to news reports of pedestrians being run down. Apparently, she had company on the corner who felt the same.

There was a woman, probably in her late thirties, in a long coat and cowboy boots. Her hair was tinged slightly with gray. She was pretty, with stony gray eyes. There was also a man, and Nina guessed he was young. His jacket sleeves hung over his hands, and he clutched them in fists, obviously chilly. His hair hung in his eyes.

While she inconspicuously studied her crosswalk companions, he noticed her.

“Hello,” he said, and she blinked, unsure whether to be embarrassed. When she said nothing and looked away, he said nothing in return.

The three of them crossed the street and kept walking. The woman was clearly in a hurry, walking briskly away from them on ahead. But Nina and the young man kept the same pace. Soon, Nina felt the awkwardness of falling in perfect step with a stranger.

“Going my way?” he asked her eventually, when they turned the same corner.

She was somehow unsurprised. “Seems that way,” she replied noncommittally.

“I’m sure you’re just following me. After all, I’m devilishly good-looking and all of that.”

Nina looked at him, unsure if he was serious or not, and it must have shown on her face because the young man laughed. “Not my type,” Nina said, seeing the joke. “Sorry.”

“Aw, no date? Didn’t even let me ask.”

“No, no thanks,” she said, now remembering that this was Chicago, and people hit on you here, of course, and they were total strangers and who knew what could happen next, so you should never get too involved. She slightly quickened her pace, and the young man fell behind.

“I wasn’t serious,” he said, just slightly louder so she could hear him. “Just making small talk. Where are you headed?”

For some reason inexplicable to herself or to anyone else, Nina slowed and let the man catch her. “Not really anywhere,” she lied, and the lie was apparent. The young man reminded her that he really wasn’t going to stalk her or anything, and said that she looked a little lost. “I grew up in Chicago,” she said.

“Oh, so you know your way around very well.”

“Well…yes…I’ve just never been to this place before.” She was slightly embarrassed, a Chicago native who didn’t actually know where she was going.

“Which place are you going?” he asked her, for the second time.

“Um, I’m looking for the office of…well, it should be right down here somewhere. Kelly Juliana. Dr. Kelly Juliana.”

“Therapist? Psychologist?”

Nina blushed. She didn’t know why. She reminded herself that therapists were as commonly used as butter knives. “Yes,” she said. The man looked at her in disbelief.

“Small world,” he said wonderingly. “That’s one of my friends. Granted, she’s a few years my senior, but we still get along well.” He grinned. “I can show you where she is, since I’m headed there myself.”

“Your friend is your therapist?” she asked, gawking.

Eyebrows raised, he shook his head. “No.” Then, sheepishly, “She lent me some money a while back and I’m just now getting around to repaying her.” He patted the pocket of his Dickies and shrugged. Nina smiled and let the young man lead her down the sidewalk. He was animated; he asked her where in Chicago she’d grown up and if she’d ever been to Wrigley Field to watch a Cubs game. Nina, sadly, had not been, and the young man admitted that he hadn’t, either.

How simple it had been to walk out into the world and meet someone. Rhea would have been happy to hear about it.

Thinking of Rhea being happy gave Nina a small surge. “You never mentioned your name,” she said to the young man.

“Nor did you yours,” he replied.

“Nina.”

“Gerard.”

“I’ve never met anyone with that name before,” she blurted, thinking that it was indeed kind of an odd name, although it was surely not uncommon in other areas or maybe even other races.

“Well, I’ve never met a Nina, either.” After saying this, Gerard’s eyes rolled up and he squinted in thought. “Well, maybe.” Another grin.

He suddenly came to a stop in front of a tall building—but what buildings around here weren’t tall? “I actually forgot for a second that you had an appointment,” he admitted, gesturing at the placard beside the door. Dr. Kelly Juliana, PhD LMHC. “I was going to ask you if you wanted to grab breakfast.”

Nina looked at the sign, then back at Gerard. “I don’t actually have an appointment,” she told him. “I was just sort of going to…see…”

“Oh, I thought you were already seeing her.”

“No.”

“Oh. Well, in that case, I mean if I’m not really imposing, since I’m starving and you, if I may say so, look positively famished…”

Nina rolled her eyes, the most relaxed action she’d allowed herself this morning. “Thanks. I try.”

“…Maybe we can grab breakfast and you could just call and schedule? She’s usually busy anyway, doesn’t like walk-ins a lot. You know, private practice.”

“I thought we agreed on no date.” Nina smiled smugly.

Gerard looked positively taken aback. “Who said anything about a date?” he replied. He made a clucking sound with his tongue and sighed. “No date here. I was just thinking that maybe two new friends could have a quick outing to get some food.”

“Well…” Nina looked at the placard again.

Who was she kidding?

“I am really hungry. Haven’t eaten yet today.”

“Of course not. It’s only ten. The fashionable wait until at least ten-thirty,” Gerard said, eyes sparkling.

“Good to know. Pancakes?”

“Sounds great.”