Let Me Stitch Your Broken Heart

Prologue

September--Freshman Year

Carly was just sitting quietly in Study Hall, minding her own business--trying to figure out her math homework, when he turned around. He was her geometry tutor and friend of about a month and a half.

"Remember when I said I wanted to tell you something last night on the phone? And I forgot?"

"Yeeesss...," Carly answered cautiously.

"Well, I--I didn't forget. I just chickened out."

Carly was confused.

"See, I wanted to tell you that...umm...well...just listen to this."

He put his iPod on her desk and held out his earbuds. Carly took them and pressed play.

Maybe it's intuition
But some things you just don't question
Like in your eyes
I see my future in an instant
and there it goes
I think I've found my best friend
I know that it might sound more than
a little crazy but I believe

I knew I loved you before I met you
I think I dreamed you into life
I knew I loved you before I met you
I have been waiting all my life

There's just no rhyme or reason
only this sense of completion
and in your eyes
I see the missing pieces
I'm searching for
I think I found my way home
I know that it might sound more than
a little crazy but I believe

A thousand angels dance around you
I am complete now that I found you

I knew I loved you before I met you
I think I dreamed you into life
I knew I loved you before I met you
I have been waiting all my life


Carly looked up at him. His back was turned, so she tapped his shoulder. He twisted to face her. The nervousness was obvious on his face. "Me, too." The smile that lit up his face was priceless.

Fast Forward to October 31...Halloween--Still Freshman Year

Carly was watching out her window anxiously as she waited for her ride. He and his friend Scott had invited her over to "do Halloween stuff." She just wore a t-shirt and jeans. They had no plans to trick-or-treat or anything like that. It would just be her, him, and Scott. Finally, they arrived. Nothing special really happened on the way there or for the first hour and a half. However, when the video gaming started, things got a little frisky.

Carly was trying desperately trying to beat him at some Mario Gamecube Space War Thing. She really had no clue what it was or what she was doing. It especially didn't help that Scott was constantly pressing buttons on her controller and trying to tickle her so she'd lose. He was a major flirt.

"Stop it! I'm trying to kill aliens here!"

"Yeah, you're doing a great job of that."

He hit a button then and caused her character to fall into the black abyss.

"Ah! How could you! Murderer! Hahaha!"

Fast Forward A Little Ways

Other events led to her falling as well. Unfortunately, not in the literal sense. Carly fell for Scott and dumped the one she truly loved. She will tell you now that she was simply blinded by abs and couldn't see the love she truly felt for the one whom she was meant to be with.

Eventually, she realized her mistake and broke it off with Scott, who claimed he knew it all along.

However, he was hurt beyond words. Literally. He was giving Carly the silent treatment. Carly tried everything. He wouldn't listen, he wouldn't talk to her, he barely acknowledged her existence. All she could get from him was a brief glance that radiated the agony his heart felt. It wasn't until when she began crying in study hall one day that he spoke to her. Well, sort of. She had been sitting across from him, trying to drown out the world with her iPod when a song came on that triggered the silent waterworks.

The phone starts ringing again I think it's my girlfriend
This time I know that it's finally over
She keeps bringing me down, will this all turn around
Right now I feel like I'm slowly dying

You know I've heard it all before
Now my eyes they run like faucets
Until my tears are dry


That's when Carly's tears started. The thoughts and memories that swarmed in her head made the lyrics hard to hear. Only the most painful reached her ears.

She said we were in love
I take a sip of my water
I guess we'll carry on at last

I'm not so special now, I always knew it somehow
I guess she never had guts to tell me

You want me back?
Well I won't be back

She said we were in love
I take a sip of my water
I guess we'll carry on at last

And I'm nobody at all
She must have thought I was someone else before


He looked at her with a question in his eyes. He made the motion of tears with his fingers by tracing lines down his cheeks. She shrugged and shook her head. Now she was hurt beyond words. There was no going back to the way they used to be. Besides, he had moved on. His new girlfriend from the school across town would probably never leave him. She was probably smart enough not to fall for his best friend.

Carly beat herself up over the whole situation to no end. Most of her friends ditched her because she'd quit talking. Carly practically lived in her head. Over and over, nonstop, she played back memories of him, them, what she'd done. The torture Carly put herself through was slowly eating her alive. I deserve it. The worst kind of guilt trip is the one you put yourself through. There's almost no stopping it.