The Secret Life Of Nerds

They Almost Called Me Toaster, Y'know.

"WAKKKKKE UP!"

"Shut up Audrey! Not all of us are morning people, you know! In fact, I don't know how you can sound like a foghorn this early in the morning!"

Audrey cheekily opened the door, and Ari's ranting became more obvious. Audrey ran over to Ari's bed, and stood over Ari.

"No, Hol, don't you dare."

Audrey was hovering over Ari's bed, looking like she wanted to rip the covers off. Closing her eyes, Audrey started counting.

"One-two-thr-ommph!" As Audrey was hit in the stomach with a pillow, Ari struggled out of bed, looking murderous.

"Get. Out."

Audrey, obviously used to such treatment, shrugged it off and sauntered out of the door.
"We leave in thirty, grincheux (grumpy)!"

A shouted obcinity followed Audrey down the stairs. When she reached the bottom, she stole a piece of toast from her papi's plate, and listened in on her parents discussion. It was the normal: The economy sucked, tenure is fantastic, and students are getting stupider. After munching on toast, and randomly interjecting comments into her parent's discussion, she started to read the Onion.

Just as soon as she was reading about the anti-gay parade in Utah, Ari dashed downstairs, grabbed her backpack off the floor, took an apple from the island, blew a kiss at her parents, and shouted for Audrey.

"Told you I'd beat you to the car, slow poke!" were the last words that Ari said before dashing out the door.

Shaking her head, Audrey hurridly stood up, the Onion now forgotton.

Less then half an hour later, Audrey got out of Ari's car ans started to walking twoards the building where her locker was in.

"Don't forget what I said, Hol!" Ari yelled, still in the car. Audrey waved absentmindly, not even turning around.

"Wait!" A familiar voice sounded right behind Audrey.

Now turning around, she knew that her sister was parking in the lot on the other side of the school; who else could it be?

"You forgot your...pen." Audrey was now face-to-face with Edvard.

"Really?" She asked.

He shuffled awkwardly on the dew laden grass, shrugging. "Yeah. It was in my book bag, and it wasn't mine, so I assumed it was yours..." He trailed off awkardly, seeing Audrey's smirking face.

"That's odd. Because, for one, the only time I saw you -ever- was yesterday, when you didn't have your bookbag with you. Also, may I remind you, that I didn't use a pen, but opted to type out everything you said." She smiled at this point, and confidently contiuned. "So, the only way that my pen got in your book bag is two ways: one, I followed you like a freakish stalker, waited until you were away from your locker, magically broke into it, and slipped a pen into it. Two, you took a pen. They are both unlikley, because I would have noticed if you took a pen, and I have no time to be a freakish stalker. That leaves only one solution."

Edvard shifted his feet, and smiled as if he was laughing at an inside joke. "Oh, really? What is that? Do enlighten me."

Audrey quickly rolled her eyes before continuing. "You selected a random pen of yours and pretended it was mine in a desperate attempt to make a conversation with me."

He emitted a short chuckle. "Of course." Quirking an eyebrow, he continued. "I am so uh, desperate for your attention."

Audrey nodded. "Cool." She said shortly. Turning around abrubtly, she started walking twoards the school. Even before she could take two steps, he grabbed her wrist.

"Wait!"

Audrey rolled her eyes. "Yes?" She snapped impatiently.

He had the decency to blush. "It isn't my pen." He mumbled softly.

"We've gotten over that part. Now you just have to tell me why you wanted to start up a conversation with me."

"I'm lost."

Stupid jocks and their pea-sized brains.

He seemed to sense Audrey's insulting thoughts and hasitly added, "No, no, not like in this conversation but...do you know how big your highschool is? I came from a privet school that had no more then sevendy-five kids in their graduating class!" His speech sped up.

"That...that monstrosity of a building must be sprawled over three or more city blocks! Countries could fit into that!" His rant lost all of its steam. "You seemed to know everything about the school yesterday at the intervew thing, so I thought you could help."

"You managed yesterday." Audrey said cooly.

"I also got lost more then ten times." He retorted shortly, crossing his arms over his chest defensively.

Audrey rolled her eyes and realized that he'd never leave her alone if she shot him down, and that she did have enough spare time to show him around quickly. She quickly slumped her shoulders. "Fine."

Edvard grinned brilliantly, as if expecting her to just melt in it's radiant awesomeness. "Brill. I have physics first, so...where exactly is that? The secratary led me there yesterday. She said something about upper-lever north wing, east side. Whatever that means."

Audrey started walking towards the school, expecting him to follow. "Our school has two layers- the bottom one is more recreational, art, mechanics, gym, etc. The upper floor-"

"That's nice. Explain it to me later, when I'll actually comprehend what you're saying." Edvard said in a cheeky tone. "Your sister called you Hol- which is a short hand for Holly, I do believe. Isn't your name Audrey?"

"I was a preemie. I was born before my parents picked out a name, and when I finally got to go home from the hospital about a week later, they still hadn't picked a name. They were frantic-- they felt 'toaster' was a pretty name, one time. One day, I was apparently screaming, and while my mom was taking care of me, she put on one of her favourite movies; Breakfast At Tiffany's. Almost immediately, I shut up. Hence the name Audrey, after the actress. However, the main character was named Holly- a nickname my sister gave to me that stuck." Audrey finished her monologue, chuckling slightly.

"I wish my name was that interesting. I was named after my grandfather." He said wishfully.

"Grandfathers are nice." Audrey said supportively.

"Mine died. Hey, am I allowed to call you Holly?" Edvard inquired.

Audrey looked up at him, opened the door to the school, gave him a you're-so-stupid-duh look, and said shortly,
"No."
♠ ♠ ♠
Hm...I haven't been planning to continue this story, but...here is a chapter.
Oh, in case you haven't realized, the more comments I get, the more likely an update.
=] I love you, practically-nonexistent readers! =]