My Stepson, My Brother

5

“Candy! Tell me!” Frank demanded.

Ever since I let that comment slip earlier Frank had been demanding that I tell him how I knew him when I was little, and he wasn’t letting up this time, no matter what I threatened.

“I lived with you for a while ok?! When I was younger, I lived with you! Happy now?!” I practically screamed at him.

Suddenly his face dawned with knowledge.

“CC!” he squealed.

I groaned at the mention of my old nickname.

When I was thirteen I got myself into a bit of a….predicament, and Linda took me in.

Frank was only three and for whatever reason couldn’t pronounce my name.

So seeing as my name is Candy Carter, he took to calling me CC and apparently it’s stuck ever since.

“Oh my god! I can’t believe it’s you! Where have you been all these years? How come you never came back till now? Why didn’t you answer any of our letters? What-” Frank rambled before I cut him off.

“Enough! I can’t handle all these questions right now!” I snapped at him.

“But candy! I missed you so much when you left! I waited for you to come back for three years! Three years candy! Do you know what that was like? I was four when you left for Christ sake! You promised you’d come back and you never did!” he exclaimed, fighting back tears.

I looked at him, his fragile, broken expression, and felt myself welling up.

I turned my back on him and got in the car, quickly wiping away the few tears that escaped before he saw them.

The drive to the motel was quite.

Horribly quite.

I felt like I’d broken Frank’s spirit. Like I’d killed that little flame that always seemed to glint behind his eyes.

As I pulled up outside our room I turned to him.

“I’m sorry Frankie, I really am, I didn’t think…I just thought you’d forget about me.” I admitted.

“What, like you forgot about me?!” he snapped.

“I never forgot you Frankie,” I whispered.

“You forgot you’re son though,” he whispered back.

“How did, when, how do you…” I stuttered.

“I know what happened CC, I’ve heard so many stories….” He admitted, looking away from me.

And at that moment, my world came crashing in.