Caution

Caution

“Don’t say a word.”

Nick tried. He really did. But in the end, the urge to speak overcame him.

“Cripple.” He laughed and dodged Joe’s crutch as the older brother swung it at him. “I told you not to climb that tree.”

“That doesn’t help him now.” Their mother closed the hotel door behind them, rubbing her eyes tiredly.

“It makes me feel better,” Nick debated, acting uncharacteristically obnoxious. “I was right. I guess you learned your lesson, Danger.”

Joe used his crutches to hobble over to the bed, Denise Jonas following to prop his leg up with pillows. “You’re a douchebag,” he muttered.

“Joseph Adam,” their mother scolded immediately. “Watch your language. Nick, lay off. He just got home from the hospital and you can’t go a minute before you start teasing him.”

“How’s he going to perform? Can we get him a pimped out wheelchair with our emblem on the side?”

Joe fixed him with a dark glare and Denise sighed. “Nick, you can sleep in Kevin’s room tonight. Let Joe get some rest.”

Nick’s playful smirk vanished instantly. “But I want to stay in here.” He wracked his brain for a decent reason as to why. “Who else is going to make sure that Joe doesn’t let his side of the room turn into messy chaos?”

A poor excuse, but it made their mother consider it. She glanced at Joe, accepting his nod of approval. “Alright. You can stay in here, but if he asks you to leave, you leave. Understood? Here’s a key to Kevin’s room.”

Nick took it, nodding obediently. Denise kissed both of her sons’ cheeks, exchanging ‘Goodnight’s and leaving the room. The younger brother turned the extra lock on the door before climbing onto the bed with Joe.

“I’m sorry for teasing you.” He spoke sincerely, settling down next to his brother. “But I did tell you not to climb that tree.”

“I should listen to you more.” Joe reaches up, pushing a few chocolate curls away from Nick’s face. The younger smiled, moving closer to press soft kisses to Joe’s neck.

“You really should. We could have avoided all of this. You scared me half to death when you fell.”

“You’re too cautious,” Joe accused, running his thumb along Nick’s jaw line.

“Not too cautious,” Nick disagreed, a smile on his face as their lips connected.