Late Night Scene

Chapter Three

Nick's Point of View

"I wouldn't get any closer."

The voice made my heart skip a few beats. I hadn't noticed the woman by the door- had she been there before?

"We're only assuming those cuffs will hold up." She smiled, and something told me she wouldn't be in too much trouble if they didn't.

"What's wrong with him?" I asked, my voice sounding raspy and weak. Joe snarled again, starting to thrash against his chains.

"He's hungry." Her smile became a smirk, and she stepped closer. I watched his eyes dart over to see her move, returning to me before even a second had passed. "And I can only imagine how much worse it is for him with you in here."

Hungry. I knew exactly what she was implying, but knew just as well that it was impossible. It had to be a bad dream. I tried to will it away, to change it all to something nice- Joe and I laying down in the grass, maybe in a park on a sunny day, arms wrapped around each other. I tried to make it change in my head, but nothing happened.

"We'll take him out to feed. You should notice a significant difference when you see him next. Amber!"

The door opened and the blonde woman entered the room. Joe's snarl ripped through his chest as he moved, trying to get to her now. An indication that she was human, if it happened to not be a dream.

She ignored him, but kept her distance as she crossed the room in an arc to get to me. Joe tracked her, side-stepping to stay facing her at all times. He writhed against the restraints when she reached me and he was turned towards both of us.

Her smile was warm as she pulled out the key to release me, helping me to my feet. I scowled at her, repulsed by the woman who had aided in doing this to my Joseph.

"Amber will take you into a special room now, so we can let him free. You'll see him again in a few hours."

As she'd said, I was taken into a small room with a thick metal door. The various locks and bolts to keep us safe only made me more nervous, imagining how bad something must be to actually need those. Would Joe really be able to do so much damage?

I was fed while I waited, refusing to say a word to this Amber. My curiousity as to why she was involved with such a crowd didn't anywhere near rival my hatred for her. We sat in silence for hours, and I jumped when there was a loud banging on the door. Amber stood, unlocking everything to have it pulled open. The vampire woman who'd taken Joe stood there. I was once again irritated by how much they smiled.

"We're back," she announced. "Would you like to see Joe again?"

The way she said his name like he was a friend infuriated me, but I nodded. They led me back out, locking me to my wall again once we were in the dark-walled room. Thankfully, someone had cleaned up my vomit while we were out.

My brother was sitting against his wall, his face hidden as though he were trying to block out his surroundings. I saw him sniff the air, and his face quickly turned towards me. His gaze filled me hope, as well as sorrow. I could tell his dark eyes were pained, and I wished I could comfort him, and that we were anywhere but here. But as long as we were here, I could appreciate the acknowledgement in his eyes; he'd recognized me.