Status: so busy at school, sorry!

Smile for the Paparazzi

Three Times a Lady

Trixie had decided to go back to Chicago after it was decided that Jon would stay in Vegas for a few more weeks to finish up some songs before going back to Chicago for Christmas. Ever the groupie, I decided to stay along with him.

In the last few weeks we spent in Vegas, Jon and I helped Ryan, Spencer and Brendon pack. They were all moving to L.A. in January/February. Jon and I decided to fly to Chicago two weeks before Christmas, and everyone decided to exchange gifts the day before our flight.

The day before we exchanged gifts and two days before the flight to Chicago, Ryan took me to a rather fancy restaurant, saying nothing about why.

He would only indulge in small chat while we placed our orders. My curiosity tormented me.

“So,” Ryan stated after we got our entrees, falafel with avocado spread for me and chicken parmesan for him.

“So,” I mimicked, folding my hands on the table.

“Christmas is two weeks away. Jon and you are going home for Christmas. Panic at the Disco and you are exchanging gifts tomorrow.”

“You have brown eyes,” I stated.

“What?” Ryan asked, taken aback.

“Oh, I’m sorry, I thought we were stating the obvious. Continue.”

A small smile appeared on his face and he did. “I would rather give you your present here, when we’re alone. I have no idea how your brother will react to it.”

I raised an eyebrow. “So, you brought me to a restaurant with dozens of other people?”

“No one we know is here. That is how we’re alone.” Ryan’s smile turned to one of craftiness.

I smiled in return. “If I know that was the purpose of this dinner, I would’ve brought your present.”

“I’m sure my present won’t cause Jon to go into super-overprotective mode.”

I laughed. Ryan had Jon pegged.

He handed me a box about the size of both of my palms pressed together. I removed the green wrapping paper delicately and opened the lid of the box.

Inside was a necklace. In a silver chain, a small heart made out of diamonds.

“It’s beautiful,” I breathed.

“C-can I put it on you?”

“Of course,” I said, blushing slightly.

I handed him the box and he took the necklace out of it delicately. He walked around my chair and I pulled my hair out of the way. I the chain was cold against my neck, but when Ryan fastened the clasp, the pendant nestled in the hollow of my neck.

We exchanged shy smiles and continued our meals.

The next day, we, that is, Panic at the Disco and I, were gathered around a half decorated fake Christmas tree. We had tried to decorate it earlier this week, but Jon got bored, pulled out the illegal substances and that was the end of any help I was going to get.

We pretty much just handed out our gifts to the people they were for. I had gotten Jon the complete Sensual Amber line from Bath and Body works as a joke, referencing an interview they did. As another reference, I got Spencer a shirt that said “More Cowbell”, which was a nod a skit on Saturday Night Live, the same night that they were the musical guest. From the same website that I got Spencer’s present, I found Brendon’s, a shirt that said “Just Say No To Hard Drugs”, which was me poking fun at his not-so-subtle habit of smoking weed.

Ryan’s gift took a little more thought. I found his present while browsing a privately owned music store that only sold vinyls and cassettes. I knew he liked a ton of bands beginning with B, so I was browsing the vinyls in that section. I couldn’t believe my luck when I came across a Beach Boys vinyl. It was Still Cruisin', an album he had wanted to buy for a pretty long time, but could never find in music stores.

When Jon, Spencer and Brendon opened their gifts from me, they all laughed. Ryan, however, smiled so widely I thought he would split his face in half. “Thank you! Thank you thank you thank you!” he said, hugging me to him tightly.

Jon gave me three DVDs, Atonement, Juno, The Bourne Ultimatum. Spencer got me a $50 gift card to Starbucks, for which I heartily thanked him for. And Brendon, ever the wiseass, gave me a box of condoms, which I promptly chucked at his head.

We cleaned up the torn wrapping paper and such, and as we were leaving the room to throw the garbage away, Brendon gave me a gift.

“What’s this?” I asked, taking it.

“The condoms were a joke. This is your real present.”

I shot him a curious look before sliding my finger underneath the wrapping paper. Inside there were three books: Invisible Monsters, Fight Club and Choke, all by Chuck Palahniuk.

“I got you his books that were made into movies, or in the case of Invisible Monsters, in the process of being made into a movie.”

“Aw, Brendon, that’s so sweet! Thanks!” I said, giving him an awkward hug.

“You’re welcome,” he said, hugging me back.

Leaving the Las Vegas-ites the next day was sort of bittersweet. I missed my friends back home but Brendon and Spencer had become like my brothers and Ryan was my boyfriend. They all came to the airport with us, and came as far as they could without actually purchasing a ticket.

Jon did that man-hug thing with the guys. Spencer and Brendon each gave me tight hugs. When it came to me and Ryan, he held me for a very long time. When I pulled away, he pressed his lips to mine, and we kissed for a while longer. Mind you, it was not hardcore making out. It was just kissing.

A cough from Jon broke us apart. “That’s my cue,” I whispered. “I’ll see you in a few months.”

“Goodbye,” he said kissing me once more on the lips, just a soft brush.

“Goodbye,” I said, walking to where Jon was standing.

On the plane, I turned on my iPod and listened to Pink Floyd. Before I knew it, the pilot was telling the passengers to turn off all electronics and prepare for landing.

After spending a few months in Vegas, Chicago was almost boring. It was much quieter at the very least.

At least there was snow. Vegas was so unnaturally warm for this time of year. I was born and raised in Northern Midwest, I liked my winters cold. I liked white Christmases. I did not like not having to wear a jacket in December.

I spent my extra time hanging out with friends I hadn’t seen in a while. Scarlett, Trixie and I went shopping once or twice, and I met up with Joe and Andy a few times. Patrick and Pete lived in L.A., the traitors.

Jon had decided that Dylan and Clover weren’t enough to handle, and bought a dog, which he named Marley. I nearly laughed at the name. First, he named a cat after Bob Dylan, then he named a dog after Bob Marley. What next, a canary named after John Lennon?

I was roped (willingly) into helping him take care of his new puppy. Even though he was the most adorable thing ever, he became slightly less adorable every time he peed or pooped in the house. Oh well, he was a puppy, and that’s what puppies do. Jon was hilarious about it. He would put Marley in “time out”, which of course Dylan and Clover loved because Marley’s favorite pastime was annoying them.

Ryan and I often chatted via webcam while we were apart. It was more personal than an email or IM, and it helped to see his face.

On New Year’s Eve, I declined an invitation to a party, and instead, I sat in my apartment, bundled up, with my laptop.

A small beep alerted me that I was getting a video call. I hooked up my camera and microphone and answered it.

“Hey baby,” Ryan said, smiling slightly.

“Hey,”

“I was surprised to see you online. Aren’t you doing anything with your family?”

“Nope. I was invited to a party, but I declined. I’m not really in a party mood.”

“But you’re in a video chat mood?” Ryan asked, laughing.

“Yeah, I can be in my pajamas for that. Plus, my date is in Las Vegas right now.”

“Oh Kate, what am I going to do with you?”

“You could visit me in Chicago,” I hinted, hopefully.

He sighed heavily. “I want to. But I need to finish preparing for the move.”

“Maybe after everything’s all settled…” I trailed off.

“Maybe,” he agreed wistfully.

I frowned. “I hate long distance relationships. You should have moved to Chicago.”

“I need to be in L.A.”

I sighed. “I understand. Jon’s visiting you guys in March and whatnot, when you get all settled, right?”

“Yeah, why?”

“Well, I was thinking about coming down too. I want to look for an acting job. Nothing big, just a minor character in a movie or something.”

“You should,” Ryan said, smiling.

“Okay,” I said smiling. We continued talking for a few more hours, about random happenings in our lives, what was new, what movies we had seen recently and trivial things like that.

“Ryan?” I said softly after he had finished a particularly funny story about Brendon’s antics.

“Yeah?”

“Happy new year,” I said smiling.

I saw him look at the clock on his laptop. “Silly Kate, it’s only ten o’clock!”

“Silly Ryan, there’s this thing called time zones!”

He stuck his tongue out at me and I smirked.

We continued talking for a while, until well after it was the New Year for Ryan too. He finally told me to go to bed after I had yawned for the fourth time in a minute. I bid him goodnight and disconnected the webcam and microphone before putting my laptop away.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, for some reason, I feel like Kate is becoming Mary-Sue ish.
But I know my readers would tell me if they had a beef with my story, right?
Don't feel bad if you have a suggestion or anything.

So, I want to hear favorite parts of this chapter/what you want to happen in future chapters/what you think will happen in future chapters.

And there's gonna be a big bombshell in the next chapter.

Comments are welcome :)

oh, and if you're a Mitchell Davis fan, check out this awesome story.
http://www.mibba.com/story/jonasloveee/Picture-Perfect/
i loff it :)

PS who else has heard/loves the new Cobra Starship song? Or has seen cobracam.tv?
PPS remind me to never write another chapter in which people exchange gifts.
PPPS i think that's it. this author's note is almost as long as the chapter haha.