The Snowy Hearts of Love

Second Snow

“Macy calm down.” Lyn whispered with a weak smile. Tears were still streaming down my face and I couldn’t stop the sobs erupting in my chest, “Sheesh you’re such a cry baby.” She whispered shaking her head slightly.

“Cry baby!” I shouted in her face, “I thought I lost you!” I screamed sinking onto the cold panel floor of the hospital. Lyn was hooked up to so many machines there wasn’t enough room for me to crawl up there with her like I use to.

“I’m here calm down, and go get some juice!” she yelled back at me. Walking out into the hallway I stood by the vending machine waiting for it to spit out our apple juices when I heard the worst news of my life.

“Lyn Harper?” the nurse asked.

“Yes. The doctors are saying she might not make it past winter.” The other nurse said.

My breath shortened and my eyes went wide. I heard the clank of our drinks falling and I just froze. Counting to 5 I turned to the machine. Like a dead machine like robot I picked up the drinks and took them back to the room. Faking a smile I handed a juice to Lyn.

“What’s wrong?” she asked seeing straight through my façade.

“Want to go play elves and fairies again?” I asked with a cock turn of my head looking at her like I use to.

“Sure let me ask the nurse if it’s okay.” She said calling up the nurse.

“Come on we can sneak out like we use to!” I begged with puppy dog eyes.

“Fine but just this once.” She warned with a stern but playful look. Opening the window we prepared to slide out to the tree branch that led to the easy way down the huge oak tree outside her window.

Quickly undoing the machines we pretty much flew down the tree and into the woods. They were small and dense but beautiful. A small creek ran through them and we ran to it first. Laughing and playing like children we never noticed the growing light behind us. Finally turning to it we screamed as it consumed us into a blinding painful light that seemed to pierce our skin and consume our hearts. Grabbing onto each other’s hands we pulled ourselves to each other. Whatever it was it was taking us together.
♠ ♠ ♠
Here it is ladies and gents! Enjoy.

-Gwen