I'd Never Thought They'd Get Me Here

The cathedral

Gerard's POV

We finally set down in England. Not that the flight had been boring, we’d had a private jet. A one off, Brian said, only because it was hard to get plane tickets and we deserved it. The airport seemed oddly empty as we climbed down the steps and out, I glanced back at the other guys to see them looking round in confusion. As soon as we were far enough away the plane left again, no doubt going to ferry around a bunch more people.

“Where is everyone?” Frank eventually voiced, after we had walked across the tarmac to find no one. No screaming fans, no smiley air hostesses, no luggage trucks, nothing.

“I don’t know.” Ray scanned the buildings, no sign of life could be seen through the windows. “It’s like everyone died.”

We all walked to one of the buildings, Mikey walking closer to me as our uneasiness grew. It was deserted, a ghost town…

Finding no one there we walked through the building and out, coming across a large car park. Car’s were scattered around, some parked and come just stopped. Doors flung open with things trailing out. Boots gaping wide, suitcases sitting next to them as they waited to be placed in.

“What’s that?” Bob asked suddenly, pointing to the odd colouring on the floor.

“Maybe it’s just oil…” I suggested, knowing full well it wasn’t.

“It’s blood!” Mikey exclaimed, stepping back and almost into me.

“We don’t know that for sure Mikes…” I told him, resting a hand on his shoulder.

“But it looks like blood…” He whispered.

“Let’s go.” Ray decided eventually. “Get out this place and try and find a cab…” We looked at him doubtfully. “Or maybe take one of these cars.”

Frank pointed out a small minivan, very like what we used to tour in, and we went over.

“Keys are still in it.” He noted. Frank got behind the wheel and turned the key, the engine jumped to life. “Got a fair amount of petrol too.”

“Let’s take it.” Bob said, getting in the back.

We piled in, showing our bags in as well. Every couple of seconds I looked around, waiting for people to jump out and yell ‘surprise’. I wanted this to be one big joke, but I’m sure it isn’t.

I sat in the front next to Frank, twisting in my seat so I could see Mikey, who sat behind me, to throw reassuring looks at him. Frank drove carefully out the car park, going through the barrier that was kept open by the car halfway through. There was just enough space to get around it before we were out on the road.

It was the same situation there, the few cars that were on the roads had doors open. It was like people had been fleeing from something. But from what? Surely if there was something wrong then we would never have been sent here? I know we’d been on the plane for quite a few hours, but surely nothing of this size could have happened so quickly.

“Go that way.” I pointed out a road to Frank and he nodded. We drove for about half an hour in silence before reaching a small city.

“Want to stop here for a bit?” Frank asked. “See if any one’s here?”

“Yeah, go on then.” Bob decided for us. “Park somewhere where we won’t forget.”

“How about there?” Ray pointed to a large cathedral the other side of the city. “We can’t forget it there.”

“Ok.” Frank navigated around the roads until he pulled up in a car park outside the cathedral grounds.

“Where shall we check first?” Mikey asked when we were all out. A ring of big, expensive looking houses surrounded us. I didn’t really feel comfortable just going up and knocking on the doors of them.

“The cathedral.” I suggested. “There’s got to be someone there.”

I led the way across the grass and past a small statue. Standing in front of the large doors I glanced at Ray, who shrugged, and pushed them open. Almost at once there were loud bangs, bullets clattered into the wall in front of me and I stopped, almost being pushed into the line of fire by Mikey when he walked into me.