The Meeting

Chapter 1

I sat and watched the rows of buildings speed past.
A soft blur of progressing development.
They were changing a lot round here nowadays.
I can barely remember the old stone warehouses that used to line these streets…

I glanced down at my book again, but I couldn’t concentrate. All I could think about was where I was going, and when I could see her again. I sat back and rested my head on the wall, and closed my eyes. The sun was still glaring when I woke up again. I realised it was only a few minutes till we got to the station, so I packed up my book and put my coffee cup and napkin in the bin beside my chair. I reached up to the overhead shelves, and got down my hat and coat. I stood up and walked down the narrow aisle to the doors, and waited till we finally came to a halt. I stepped out onto the platform lightly. I wasn’t carrying a lot of luggage, for unfortunately, I wasn’t staying long. I looked at my small map and kept walking down the platform until I came to the doors of the station. I walked out and looked both ways… then I saw her standing there. I gasped silently. She was standing under our usual meeting place, the lamppost with the flowers. It was a little darker now, and she was standing there under the soft white light of the lamp. She was wearing a white lacy dress, and her pale skin glowed in the light. She didn’t see me as I approached her for she was reading a book. Her light chestnut curls rested playfully on her shoulders, and her dress blew slowly in the breeze. I walked up to her slowly, thinking of what I would say. She looked up and saw me before I was able to utter a word, and smiled.