Alexander Ruddley

Forward

FORWARD:

There she was, sitting there. A cigarette between her crimson lips, and a wine glass in her left hand. It’s funny how you pay attention to details when you’re face to face with who you hate. I wanted to be repulsed by her, I wanted to look the other way, but I couldn’t. After all this time I still hear my breath catch in my throat when I see her. She was cross legged, and I was staring. Draped in a black strapless cocktail dress, her golden hair fell in perfect curls just passed her collar bones… her sapphire eyes illuminated by her smoke colored eye shadow. She was the embodiment of perfect, and I felt my knees almost give in.
“Alexander, you’ve kept me waiting.” Her musical voice surrounding my head, I wanted to run. That’s a lie. That was the last thing I wanted. I wanted to fall to the ground. I wanted to worship her.
“Do come closer, Alexander dear. It’s been ages since I’ve seen you last, do come here.”
And I couldn’t say no to her. I took the six steps until I was in front of her. My jaw was trembling, and my heart racing. She set her wine glass down, and she stood. I sighed deeply as her electric eyes met mine. Then the world went red. I was on the ground in seconds. I felt her black stiletto meet my ribs, and I let out a loud cry.
“Yes ages.” Was all I said and she knelt down to look me in the face again.
God, she was so beautiful. I hated her so much. She laughed and I swore no angel could match the musical tone in her voice. I bared my teeth in pain as I lifted myself to a sitting position. She placed her cool hands on my face and kissed my lips. She tasted of cigarettes and cheap wine. She got to her feet lit another cigarette and took a sip of her wine and sighed as she sat back down.
“Now, Alexander, to the root of your business. What is it you want with me?”
I had to choke on my first response. She locked her gaze with mine once more, and I felt my throat tighten,
“It’s about Rachel.” Sarah’s eyes locked on mine and she raised her perfect eyebrows.
“Oh?” was all she said. She had a masochists smile now. Painted on her lips. She blew a perfect smoke ring and swirled her finger in it.
“What of the poor…Girl?” she spat the word.
I looked at the ground and suddenly felt very dirty.
“She really needs some. She’s about to push over…” I sucked in my lips, and felt ashamed.
Without any sound Sarah rose. I felt her cold hands on my face as she traced my profile.
She whispered almost inaudibly,
“And what are you going to do for me, Alexander?” I let go of the breath I had been holding.
“…Whatever you want, Sarah.” I felt her lips move into a smile against my neck,
Her warm breath almost making me sick as she said,
“Do you even need to ask sweet Alexander?” I felt her intertwine her cold fingers in mine as she led me through the front room to her bedroom.

It was raining as I waited huddled under Sarah’s front porch, hand wrapped tightly around the paper bag in my pocket. Sighing and closing my eyes I ran out into the rain.