Status: Abandonned :(

Sophomore Slump

The Sky and the Wind

Saturday, October 25th

Dear notebook,

We dared leave our havens today.

Alex, my beautifully intimidating goddess of a friend. Diana, the girl with everything I wish I could have. Mikey, the boy whose heart I hold, bleeding in my fist. And myself. Four adolescent human beings, walking the streets in the greatest city in the world.

We had no worries.

The Sky is crying. She is sad that we have broken rules. She is sad that the CDs we bought will be ruined forever because of her tears. She doesn’t seem to notice our smiles, but she tells the Wind to dry us off. The Wind didn't like being bossed around.

Mikey said to me, “No point in buying an umbrella now, huh?” Of course. Umbrellas are useless when the Wind is this mad.

I haven’t written in this thing in a few days. I pride myself for that fact. But I may as well say how my week went. For Free Therapist’s sake.

Wednesday. Not enjoyable. Me and my mom had one of those arguments that would worry child services. My cousin, Ray, literally pulled me out of there. He’s in college and annoying but he loves me. My mom and his mom are negotiating. I’m going back home tomorrow. Time to go to church with mommy. Joy.

Thursday. Volleyball day in gym class. My head was a main target. Mikey, who is a junior but for some reason in my music class, is trying desperately to teach me how to play bass guitar. He wouldn’t want to give up a chance to touch my hands.

Friday. I noticed with littlegirlwithcrush-like glee that Frank’s feelings forDiana Mercury are not mutual. Alex didn’t hesitate to point out that Frank is to Diana as Mikey is to me; faithful and loyal they may be but, in the end, they are just two hopefuls.

And today might’ve just been one of the greatest nights of my life.

Mercury, Alex, Mikey, and me all went to Union Square, the greatest square in all of New York City. The forecast called for rain so we went as early as our teenage bodies allowed us. Naturally, it started to pour as soon as we finished. Tying our shopping bags as protectively as possible, we ran all the way home—our umbrellas got immediately expelled by the vicious wind and our Metrocards had no money in them so we couldn’t take the bus. (The Wind was mad at the Sky and so he took it out on us.) We dodged the buckets of water occasionally to see if the rain would pass—sitting soaked in pizzerias, buying coffee at bodegas—but with no avail. The wind was angry. We all went into Mikey’s apartment, because he lives the shortest running distance; his dad less than excited to see four teenagers wetting his carpet, his mom quick to make us hot chocolate.

And his brother…made my heart stop, when I saw him.

It wasn’t the first time I’d met Gerard, but his unmistakable beauty always caught me off guard. It didn’t help that I was soaking wet and sneezing. While his parents called mine, Alex’s, and Mercury’s parents to let them know that we’d be staying the night (or until the rain slowed a bit), he got us dry clothes, wrapped us in blankets. He gave us towels to dry our hair and joked that Mikey, being the only guy, should’ve done a better job at protecting us from Mother Nature. Us girls were sprawled across the couch; blushing because of the fact that we knew we all had crushes on Mikey’s big brother, blushing because we were wearing other people’s clothes.

When the rain did let down and we left, Alex informed me that Gerard noticed me more than he did the rest of us. Gerard, the artist, the college guy, the most gorgeous man I have ever seen. Noticed me.

Only now do I realize that Mikey disappeared when we’d reached his house. I wonder what that’s about.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thankies for reading. Please comment <3

(Kelly, I heart you.)