I Never Told You What I Did for a Living

Student For A Day

The room was eerily quiet. So quiet, in fact, the I had trouble concentrating for fear that someone was watching. Libraries always had some kind of noise, but here there didn't even seem to be any pages turning. I bent low over the book I was browsing through and flipped a page as quietly as I could.

It wasn't quiet enough.

"Hey," a voice whispered behind me. I turned to see a guy about 24 years old, I would guess. He had black hair that was slightly shaggy, and an average build. There was nothing extraordinary about him, yet something struck me as he pulled up a chair next to me.

"Hey," I replied.

"How come I haven't seen you around before?" his voice was quiet so as not to disturb others in the room.

I shrugged. I was there only for the day, just trying to get a feel for the college and classes. I had to decide if I wanted to attend the school or go somewhere else, so I had been travelling to all the campuses I'd applied to in order to make my decision.

"I think I would have remembered someone like you. What classes are you taking?"

I decided to play along. Really, who would it hurt if I acted like I really went to this school?

"I'm majoring in music production," I answered. Just as I spoke the words, I panicked. What if that was his major and he knew I was lying?

"I'm in fine arts. What's your name?"

"Lily. And yours?"

"Gerard. Do you think we could hang out sometime? I mean, if you're not busy or anything."

I glanced at my watch. "Actually, I'm running late for a class. Maybe some other time," I picked up my bag from the circular table and stood.

"Wait," he paused. "How can I reach you?"

"If anything's meant to happen, we'll meet again and you won't have to worry about it."

With that, I turned and walked from the room. I didn't look back, though I wanted to more than anything. I wasn't used to good-looking guys talking to me, and I certainly hadn't been expecting it to happen today. As i sat down in the back of a classroom a few minutes later, I came to the realization that I would never see Gerard again.

Oh well, I thought. I guess it just wasn't meant to be.