I Never Told You What I Did for a Living

The Hospital

The ride to the hospital was the most tense few minutes of my life. Mikey and I were given a police escort by the officer, but we still didn't get there fast enough. I was shaking from shock, so Mikey had to drive my car.

When we arrived, I was out of the car and stumbling to the hospital doors before Mikey had even put the car in park. He rushed to my side and put a protective arm around me.

"We're here to see Gerard Way," he said to the receptionist as we hurried inside.

"The doctors aren't out yet," she explained calmly. "You'll have to take a seat in the waiting room for a few minutes."

"I can't," I whimpered. "I need to see him."

"You'll have to wait, dear," she said, her voice taking on a firm edge.

As we sat alone in the waiting room, I continued to panic. I couldn't think, speak, or even cry. Mikey also didn't speak, he simply sat with his arm around me, squeezing my shoulder a little every now and then.

A doctor entered in a white lab coat, carrying a clipboard. Both Mikey and I stood immediately.

"He's going to pull through. He's pretty banged up, though. We'd like to keep him here overnight to monitor him."

"What happened, exactly?" Mikey asked, relieved at the doctor's news.

"Apparently as he was travelling through a set of lights someone made a left turn and he hit them head on. They walked away without a scratch, but both vehicles are in pretty tough shape. I don't think Gerard would have survived if he hadn't been wearing his seatbelt. He'll have to take it easy for a few months, but I think he'll be back to normal soon enough."

"Can we see him?" I practically begged.

"Yes, but not for too long. He needs rest more than anything at this point."

We entered Gerard's hospital room and I shivered. I hated hospitals, they gave me the feeling that death was waiting around every corner.

I began to cry when I saw him. He was pale and bruised, and he looked extremely fragile. He was hooked up to a heart monitor and an IV line was stuck into the back of his hand. His breathing sounded laboured, and I was sure that he didn't even know we were there.

"Gerard," Mikey said softly, breaking the creepy, sterile silence of the room.

Gerard's eyes fluttered open and he smiled weakly. "Hey," he croaked in reply.

"Thank God you're okay, man," Mikey went to Gerard's side. He had been so strong throughout the whole thing that when I saw him start to cry, I didn't know what to think. They talked quietly for a few moments, and I felt like an intruder. I shouldn't have been there. They needed their space.

Suddenly, Mikey stood. "You two need some privacy." Without another word, he left the room.

For some reason, it felt awkward being alone with Gerard. He was so strong, so stable, how could he be in a hospital bed?

"Lily," the sound of his voice snapped me out of my trance, and I hurried over to him.

He wiped the tears from my cheeks.

"I thought I lost you," I wept. "I suddenly felt like my whole world was over, like I couldn't go on."

"I would never leave you this way," he cooed.

"But what if you did? What would I do?"

"You'd keep on living for the both of us."

"What if I couldn't? Life just isn't life without you," I choked.

"Don't talk like that. I'm not going anywhere," he moved to the side of the bed and patted the space he'd just cleared. I took his invitation and lied down next to him. I lay my head gently on his chest, trying not to touch any bruises or injuries.

"I had a long talk with Mikey earlier," I said slowly. I don't know why I told him that.

"Yeah? That's good. I want you two to be close."

"I think we already are pretty close."

He lifted my chin with his index and middle finger and met my lips in a sweet, soft kiss.

"I love you, Lily."

"I-," more than anything I wanted to say the same. I felt the same, but I had to do something else first. "I have to tell you something, Gerard."