I Never Told You What I Did for a Living

Surviving

"You'd better get ready."

I groaned and rolled over on my bed, glancing at the digital numbers on the alarm clock.

"For what? It's too early for me."

"You've got school in an hour and a half."

That got me up. I was instantly upright and wide-eyed.

"But I thought I was getting a break from all that here," I protested.

"A break from your old school. You need an education."

"But I don't want one," I groaned again and flopped back on the bed.

"Suck it up and get moving," Dad left the room and I slowly got up.

I had a quick shower and dressed in my favorite outfit. My dark jeans were torn on the knees and my shirt was from a Smashing Pumpkins concert. The shirt made me think of Gerard. I missed him, and I wasn't quite ready to start a new school and make a more permanent change.

Dad drove me to the school and took me to the front door.

"Want me to come in with you?"

"No, thanks. I'll be okay."

I stepped out and shut the door. I turned to face the school. It was much smaller than my school back home. To me, this simply meant that there would be fewer people to whisper and glare. Maybe it wouldn't be a bad thing.

The receptionist in the main office gave me my time table and a map of the school. It was a good thing that Dad had made me leave early, because I got lost on my way to homeroom. For a small school, it sure had a confusing layout.

I made it to the room just before the bell rang, and sat beside a girl with long, wavy brown hair. She smiled. I smiled back, but it was more out of shock than friendliness.

I had to stand and introduce myself when the teacher took attendance. It was hell. As if I had ever had any trouble drawing attention to myself, now they force everyone to stare. Great.

When I sat back down, the girl that had smiled introduced herself.

"I'm Carrie," she offered her hand and I shook it. "What classes do you have?"

I showed her my timetable and she inspected it.

"We've got Biology and Calculus together. I'll sit with you if you want. I can show you around."

I nodded, still confused by how kind she was. "Thanks."

The bell rang, and the class dispersed. I was grateful that calculus was my first class, so I wouldn't have to find my way by myself. I followed Carrie around until she sat in a desk. I took the one next to her, hoping that I wasn't stealing someone else's seat.

As soon as the teacher entered, I could tell I was going to have problems with her. She was in her mid-forties, and her light hair was pulled back into a tight bun. Her outfit was very proper, and her heels clicked with every step she took. Her narrowed eyes flicked to me immediately.

"I see we have a new student," she glanced down at a paper on her desk. "Lily, please stand and tell us where you're from, and something about yourself."

I sighed and stood. "I'm Lily," I smiled sweetly at the woman and sat down.

"That's not what I asked you," she pointed out, obviously annoyed.

"I know. That's just all I felt like sharing."

I heard a few of my classmates snicker.

"Don't make this difficult. I expect you to do what I ask from now on," she directed briskly.

"I can't believe you said that!" Carrie whispered in awe.

I grinned, but didn't reply. An odd feeling came over me in that moment. I knew pepole were staring, but it wasn't out of hate. It was simple curiosity. These people actually wanted to get to know me.

In my next class, Carrie wasn't there. I sat next to a very tan boy that had been in calculus.

"I'm impressed," he said as I sat down.

"Why?"

"Nobody has the guts to stand up to Mrs. Gillroy."

I shrugged. "She got on my nerves. I hate the whole first day thing."

"You move around a lot?"

"No, but I always feel bad for the kid getting put on the spot."

"I'm Ben."

"Lily."

"I know. That was all you said last class, remember?"

I laughed. "Oh, yeah."

"Listen, I know this will be wierd, but there's a dance this Friday and... I was just wondering if, maybe, you would be my date?"

My jaw dropped. I had been here only a couple of hours and I was already being asked out?

"I kind of have a boyfriend," I hoped my tone was apologetic.

"Figures," he muttered. "Well, forget I asked. I don't want things to get awkward."

"But why did you ask me?"

He looked confused. "Because you're interesting. There's nobody else here like you."

"I never knew that was a good thing."