I Never Told You What I Did for a Living

Surprises

"But you just got here," there was a complaint in my dad's voice when I broke the news that I wanted to go home for the weekend.

"Yeah, I know, but I need to get a few things. It looks like I'll be here awhile and I left some very important stuff behind."

He didn't seem to believe me, but he gave in. "I'll drive you to your mother's tonight, and I'll be there Sunday afternoon to bring you back."

"Thank you!" I grinned and hugged him quickly before darting to my room to gather a few things.

The ride back to Mom's seemed to take forever, simply because I was excited. Dad noticed.

"I thought you liked it at my place."

"I do. I even met some kids today that I get along with really well."

"Then why do you have to go back so soon?"

"Dad, you said it yourself. You can't spend too much time with someone if you really care about them."

Understanding broke across his face. "Oh, this is about that boy."

"Sure is," I smiled. "He just got out of the hospital and I can't wait to see him."

"The hospital? Evidently you haven't told me much about him."

"He was in a car accident. But don't worry, it wasn't his fault."

"Are you sure you want to go to your mother's? I can just take you to his house if you want," he offered. "That way, I can meet him."

Of course there was a hidden motive behind that offer.

"I think he's scared of you," I laughed.

"Why?"

"Because he told me that he didn't want to have to deal with an overprotective father, or something to that extent. I told him that you aren't like that, but I don't think he believed me. He worries a lot. Especially about me."

"How old is he?"

I grimaced. "He's in college."

"He's that much older, yet he's still scared of meeting his girlfriend's father? You're sure you want to be with him?" Dad's voice was light and teasing. I sighed in relief that he didn't dwell on the age difference.

We pulled up to the apartment building and Dad killed the engine. I jumped out, not even bothering to pause long enough to get my bag. I knocked on the door to Gerard's apartment, shaking in anticipation. There was a long pause, and I began to wonder if he was home.

When the door opened, Mikey was grinning.

"Lily? I can't believe you're here!" He gave me a hug, then looked past me curiously. "Who'd you bring?"

I turned to see what he meant. I had completely forgotten about Dad. He was walking in our direction, carrying my bag. When he reached us, he smiled politely.

"Dad, this is-"

"Gerard!" he stuck out his hand. "Nice to meet you."

Mikey looked bewildered, and I laughed.

"No, Dad. This is Gerard's brother, Mikey."

He dropped his hand, embarassed. Mikey stepped back and ushered us in. He caught my arm as I walked past.

"Gerard's in the shower," he explained quietly. I nodded.

"I guess I should have expected something like that when I showed up uninvited." I walked in and sure enough, I could hear water running in the bathroom.

The apartment looked exactly as it had when I'd lived there, and I flopped down on the couch that had once been my bed. Dad set down my bag and sat in a chair, looking uncomfortable. The water stopped soon, and I could hear him going through drawers in the bathroom.

"Can I talk to you for a second?" Mikey leaned over the back of the couch.

"Sure," I stood and followed him into his bedroom.

"What's your Dad doing here?"

"He wouldn't let me come if he didn't get to meet Gerard."

"You didn't think to call me to get you? I would have, you know."

"Yeah, but Gerard's car was wrecked in the accident-" I stopped short as I remembered something. "But then how did you pick me up that one day?"

He smirked. "His insurance covered the accident, so we got a new car. Well, not new, exactly, but it's new to us."

"Cool. Maybe I can talk my dad into letting you take me home on Sunday. That way, you'll know where I live and you can come visit."

We heard the bathroom door open, and we hurried from the room. Gerard was standing in the hallway, wrapped in a towel. He was looking at my father, but nobody was speaking. He looked confused, which was understandable. When he heard Mikey's door open, he turned to us. His face lit up, and I ran to him.

"Lily! I can't believe you're here!"

"I wanted to surprise you."

"I'm definitely surprised!" he pulled me into a hug, and I breathed in his clean, fresh scent.

"My dad wanted to meet you," I explained as he glanced again into the living room.

"Also a surprise," he muttered.

"Go get dressed, then we'll talk," I said, reminding him that he was in a towel.

He blushed a little, then disappeared into his bedroom.

"Okay, so that was Gerard, right?" Dad clarified.

"Yeah, that's him. Hey, about Sunday," I began, as Mikey came up beside me.

"Yes?"

"Do you think that the guys could drive me back? I mean, that way, they would know where I live so that they could visit."

"I guess that's okay. Just be sure to call me when you leave so I know when to expect you. And don't stay too late," he commanded.

"Yeah, I know," I grinned.

After a minute, Gerard reappeared and sat on the couch next to me. He made no movement to show affection, as though it would upset my dad. The interrogation didn't last long, and I was grateful. Dad didn't ask any questions that were out of line, and both sides of the conversation were very polite.

When he finally left, Gerard pulled me into a quick kiss. "I missed you," he whispered.

"I missed you, too. But for right now, we've got the whole weekend together."