I Never Told You What I Did for a Living

Movie Night

We pulled up to a small blue house and Angela shut off the car.

"Well, this is where Natalie lives."

"Is everyone already here?"

"Sure are," she got out and I did the same. We headed up to the door, where I paused to knock. Angela laughed. "Just go in. I practically live here, they don't care."

She opened the door and I followed her inside. The outside of the house had looked so plain, but the inside was breathtaking. It was obvious that Natalie's mother must have been an interior designer. Angela didn't even pause, she just continued through the house and to a closed door. Once I snapped out of my trance and caught up to her, she opened the door and disappeared down a flight of stairs. I followed and found myself facing a hallway and two doors. I went down the hallway and found another door, which was open a crack. I caught a glimpse of Kevin sitting on a chair, and I pushed the door open.

"Hey!" Josh grinned. "Glad you could come."

"Anything was better than staying home. I'm so glad you guys invited me."

"Well we figured we had to get you to hang out with us sometime, since you ditched us on Friday," Kevin explained.

"Sorry about that. I had to go and see someone this weekend."

"Your mom?" Natalie asked.

"No, I don't get along with her. I went to stay with my boyfriend and his brother."

"Told you," Kevin sneered at Josh.

"Damn."

"What are you talking about?" I glanced back and forth between the two of them.

"I was right. You've got a boyfriend," Kevin replied.

"That doesn't explain what just happened."

Kevin sighed. "Josh was going to ask you out."

"What's with all the guys in this school wanting to ask me out? I'm nothing special."

"But you're new," Josh pointed out.

"So?"

"So you're intriguing."

"I'm not interesting."

"Then why don't you get along with your mom?" Angela asked suddenly.

"We just... have different opinions. We've always fought. Of course, now I seem to be doing that with my dad, too. Maybe you guys shouldn't get too close. I might start fighting with you, too."

Natalie laughed. "We fight all the time. You'll fit in, we already told you that."

"Whatever you say."

We all sat in Natalie's room and talked for awhile before deciding on a movie. We watched a horror movie, and Josh made sure not to sit close to me. I hoped I didn't make things awkward, but it seemed that because there were so many of us, it was okay. Kevin sat on one side of me, and Natalie on the other. I began to learn things about the group. Natalie's parents were divorced like mine, and she now lived with her mother. The reason she'd been to rehab was because she'd gotten depressed when her dad left and began drinking. Josh had only hung out with Ben because their families were close, and as soon as he met Angela and Kevin he'd jumped at the chance to hang out with a new crowd. Angela and Kevin had moved from a big city, like me, and had been immediately outcasted. They were fraternal twins, and were very close.

A couple of hours later, Angela offered to take me home. I didn't want to go, but I knew that it wouldn't be long before Dad noticed I was too quiet and decided to check on me.

We got back into her car and drove to my house. She stopped down the road as she had before, and I said a quick goodbye before running across the yard to my house. I crawled in through my window and replaced the screen. I was pretty sure that my dad wasn't aware of what had happened, as the house was quiet and I was sure he'd gone to bed.

I realized then that I would have to get up early the next morning for school. I wasn't overly tired, but I knew myself well enough to know that I would be the next day. I quickly changed into my pajamas and slid underneath the covers on my bed. It wasn't long before my eyes closed and I drifted off into a dreamless sleep.