I Never Told You What I Did for a Living

Mikey's Side

"What happened in there?" I asked as Gerard backed out of Natalie's driveway.

Mikey shrugged. "I tried to let her down easy. Seriously, though, how can someone hold on for that long? We broke up years ago."

"Yeah, I liked her and all," Gerard muttered as he accelerated. "But I thought she was a little clingy."

"She was even back then, but this is a little extreme. She thought I was here to announce my undying love for her," Mikey shuddered.

"Guys," I interrupted. "You're talking about my friend! She's been the nicest person to me here, and I don't really want to talk about her like this."

"Sorry, Lily, but it's the truth. If she believes that I'm still hung up on her, she's way off."

"Well, she doesn't believe it anymore. You made sure of that."

He sighed. "I wasn't trying to hurt her or anything. I was just trying to get her to see that she's missing out on her life by dreaming about the past."

"I know you weren't trying to hurt her. You're not like that. If you didn't think this was all for the best, you never would have done it. In a way, I admire you for having the guts to go through with it, Mikey. I don't think I could."

"Heads up, Gerard," Mikey chuckled. "She's not going to tell you when she leaves you."

"Shut up," Gerard tossed an air freshener at his little brother. "You're an idiot."

The conversation took a few more turns until it had nothing to do with what had just happened at Natalie's house. We all went to my room when we got back to the house. After having a discussion about the latest horror flicks, I began to feel the length of the day catching up with me. I yawned, and Mikey grinned.

"So, who's sleeping with who?"

Since I had no air fresheners handy, Gerard threw one of my pillows at him.

"You're sleeping alone, smartass."

"I don't think Lily's dad will like the two of you together," he pointed out coyly.

"What Dad doesn't know won't hurt him," I shot back.

"What if he comes in to check on you?"

"Stop hinting that you want to sleep with my girlfriend! It's not going to happen!" Gerard smacked Mikey upside the head.

I fell back on my bed laughing, and they did the same. I lay there in between the two of them as they continued arguing over sleeping arrangements.

"If you don't stop fighting, you can sleep together and I'll go to the couch," I threatened.

"You heard her, Mikey," Gerard tossed a blanket over top of me and it landed on Mikey. "Go sleep on the floor, or couch, or wherever you want. Just as long as it's not with her."

Mikey groaned and rolled off the side of the bed, landing on the floor with a loud smack.

"You okay?" I asked.

"Fine," his voice was muffled by the blanket.

I grabbed a pair of pajama pants and a tank top from a drawer then went to the bathroom to change and brush my teeth. When I returned, Gerard was still on the bed and Mikey was curled up in the blanket on the floor.

"Do you need more blankets? I think I've got another in my closet."

"I'm okay," he replied.

I hopped onto the bed and got under the covers. Since Mikey had a pillow, Gerard and I had to share the only other one I had. It wasn't exactly a bad thing.

"What am I going to say to her at school on Monday?" I mumbled.

"Tell her to go for that other kid that was there. Not her brother, but the other one," Mikey suggested.

"Josh? Yeah, right."

"Well, tell her what you want to."

"I'll decide about a split second before I open my mouth to speak," I smirked.

Gerard kissed my temple softly. "Don't worry about it before you have to."

"Easier said than done."

"Well, then just don't talk about it. I don't want to anymore," Mikey grumbled as he shifted his position on the floor. "Maybe this time she's really out of my life."

I had a feeling that something had happened between Angela and Mikey that he just wasn't telling me.