I Never Told You What I Did for a Living

Doubts

"I'm new to relationships," Kevin muttered slowly. "What did I do wrong?"

"Nothing. It's just Natalie overreacting. I'd bet my life savings she just ran to the bathroom. I'm going to go talk to her, okay? You go to class. There's no sense in all of us getting in shit for being late."

I turned and headed down the hall in the direction Natalie had just disappeared, grinding my teeth as I went. What did she honestly think? That Kevin would cheat on her? Or that I would be the one to drive him to it?

I pushed open the door and found Natalie wiping her eyes at the sink, just as I'd expected. I'd thought I would calm down when I saw her, but I only felt more infuriated.

"What the hell is your problem?"

She turned to me, shocked. "What?"

"Explain to me what was going through your head out there. Please. I'm dying to know," my voice was as sharp as daggers.

"What do you think was going through my head? I just tell you he's my boyfriend and I turn around and he's all over you! What did you think I was going to do?"

"All over me? What world do you live in? It was a hug! I'm having a hard time right now and he was being a good friend. A friend, and that's all. How was that unclear for you?"

"You didn't see the look on his face. He's never looked at me that way. Never. Why is it that as soon as you show up everyone forgets about the girls here?"

"What the fuck are you talking about? What did I do to you?"

"You just walked in and everyone started drooling. You were fresh and new and exciting. All of us were just old news. Nobody cared. Josh wanted you-"

"This is about Josh? I don't want him! I have a boyfriend!"

"It's not about Josh! The point is he wanted you, Ben wanted you, and now Kevin. What are girls like me supposed to do?"

"Kevin doesn't want me! We're friends, how many times do I have to say it? Kind of like I thought you and me were friends. Apparently I was wrong."

She looked as though my razor-sharp words had just slit her throat. Her eyes widened and she seemed unable to breathe. "You mean we're not friends?"

"If you can't trust me, then no. Hell, if you can't trust your boyfriend then maybe you shouldn't be with him, either. Grow up, Natalie. Friends don't act this way."

"So I have no reason to worry? Explain why the whole time you were gone he was asking about you. You expect me to think he doesn't have feelings for you?"

"I don't know what you should think about that. All I know is that he's with you, so he's obviously got feelings for you. And why would I do anything with him? I'm in love with my boyfriend, okay? That's all there is to this."

"I never meant for you to think I didn't trust you, Lily. I just don't know what to think right now."

"What's there to think about? Kevin's worried that he did something to hurt you. Guys who don't care don't worry about that. Believe me, I've been in those relationships. Those assholes don't care about your family, your problems, they hardly even care about you. Kevin's not like them. Don't ever treat him like he's untrustworthy, Natalie. He'd never be unfaithful. So don't act like he's cheating on you. Stop being so fucking overdramatic. The world doesn't revolve around you."

"It doesn't revolve around you either."

"I'm not the one acting like it does," I turned and stormed out of the bathroom, the image of her tear-streaked face still flawless in my mind's eye. Maybe I shouldn't have yelled. Maybe I shouldn't have been so harsh.

It was too late for maybes.

"Is she okay?"

I jumped as Kevin came around the corner.

I shrugged. "You'll have to decide on that one for yourself."

I slipped into my first class a few minutes later. The teacher paused from his lecture just long enough to give me a scornful look. I ignored it and sat down.

I'd promised Gerard I would go to school like a good little girl. No matter how angry I was, I wasn't about to break that promise.