I Never Told You What I Did for a Living

A Good Little Girl

"What happened this morning?"

I glanced up from my sandwich just as Angela sat down at our table in the cafeteria.

I shrugged. "Who knows? Natalie lost it. If you pick her side, that's fine. I'll go back to being a loner like I was at my old school."

"Why would I stop being your friend? Lily, none of us are abandoning you. I just want you to know why she reacted the way she did."

"Because she's crazy?"

To my surprise, Angela laughed. I was expecting her to get mad and stand up for Natalie. Maybe it wasn't the first time she'd acted this way and I wasn't the only one fed up with it.

"I wish it were that simple. Remember how her dad left?" Without waiting for my response, she proceeded. "She has issues with people leaving. She's scared Kev's going to do the same thing."

"But with me? Doesn't she trust anyone?" I dropped my plate onto my tray, suddenly uninterested in the food.

"Like I said, she has issues. It's not that she doesn't trust you, it's that she doesn't think she's good enough for Kevin."

"But she thought he wanted me. Where does she get that idea? Me and Kevin were always fighting before and he hugs me one time and she blows it out of proportion."

"I'm sorry you had to see that side of her, but I think you really got through to her."

"What did I do?"

"Nobody's ever gotten mad at her when she acts like this. It showed her that she affects other people when she has these reactions."

I rolled my eyes. "She didn't know that before? Are you kidding? How did you guys put up with that for so long?"

"You just kind of get used to it, I guess."

"How can Kevin put up with her?"

"He likes her. You do crazy things for people you feel like that about."

"Yeah," I muttered. "Like take your girlfriend home and stay with her so she doesn't do anything stupid."

"What?"

"Sorry, I'm just rambling on about nothing," I lied quickly.

She surveyed me suspiciously, but didn't ask any questions.

I shrugged off her gaze and pushed out my chair. Leaving her sitting alone, I dumped my uneaten food in the trash can by the door. I was early for my next class, and the room was empty. I pulled out a pen and began to draw on an empty space on my binder. Once people began to file into their seats, I looked at what I'd drawn.

If only Mom could see me now.

An angel with black wings and open arms was hovering over me and Gerard. He was holding me in his arms and rain was pelting down on us. It was impossible to differentiate between raindrops and tears on our cheeks.

He was being so amazing, so strong. What other guy would pack up himself and his brother just to help out a girl like me? He was one in a million.

I wondered if he knew how much I appreciated him. My stomach tightened and twisted as I thought of how lucky I was. How did someone like me end up with someone like him?

He and Mikey were the closest thing to a real, functional family I'd ever had. I loved them both so much it almost hurt.

When school was over I tossed my books into my locker, where they collided with the back and a loud clang echoed through the hallway. Without looking around at all the staring faces, I headed for the door.

I saw Gerard's car as soon as I stepped onto the sidewalk. Mikey wasn't with him, but I assumed he was back at the house.

"Hey," I attempted a grin as I slid into the passenger seat.

"How was school?" there was a strong note of teasing in his voice and a grin played with the corners of his lips.

"Shutup and get me out of here."

As the car pulled away, I saw Natalie and Kevin leaving the brick school building. She was smiling and laughing and acting as though Kevin had just told a hilarious joke, but the confused expression on his face contradicted her act.

That girl had some serious problems.

But I was over it. I wasn't going to let Natalie bother me.

The only person who could affect me anymore was Gerard.