I Never Told You What I Did for a Living

Surgery Results

It took me until the third ring to work up the courage to answer the phone. I pressed the reciever to my ear with shaking hands.

"Hello?"

"Lily? I expected to get the machine. Why aren't you at school?"

"I couldn't go today, Dad. I'm nervous enough about Mom's operation, I didn't want to wait out the results in a place that I feel alone and uncomfortable."

"I guess I see your point."

"How did it go?" I persisted, anxious to hear.

"The doctors say it went as well as could be expected. She's in recovery now, and she's sleeping. We don't know how well she's reacted yet, but we will once she's awake."

"When can I come and visit?"

"Wait until the weekend. I don't want you missing any more school."

"Fine, but I'm leaving as soon as humanly possible on Friday."

"Deal. I'll call again as soon as she wakes up and we know more. I love you, Lily."

"I love you, too."

I gently returned the reciever to its cradle. I turned back to face the rest of the room, heaving a sigh of relief. All of the guys were staring at me, waiting to hear the news.

"She's okay, but we don't know if her memory's back yet. I'm going to go see her after school on Friday."

"We'll all be there with you," Gerard vowed, wrapping his arms around my shoulders.

Now that I was more able to relax, I felt suddenly exhausted. We all returned to watching movies, and I returned to cudlling with Gerard on the couch. I wanted to stay awake, because I'd heard about Frank's cooking skills. I really didn't want to have to worry about my house burning down, so I wanted to be the one to cook dinner later on. Unfortunately, I soon fell asleep.

When I awoke, there were pieces of burnt popcorn scattered across both me and Gerard, who was passed out beside me. An ashy taste was in my mouth, and I looked around drowsily.

The guys were looking everywhere but at me. Mikey was feigning interest in the TV, Ray was staring at the ceiling, and Frank was whistling innocently and studying a mark on the wall. I picked up a blackened kernel and threw it at him. It hit him in the ear and he turned towards me, looking apalled.

"Now why would you do something like that?"

"You did it first," I gestured at all the popcorn around me.

"Where's your proof?" he folded his arms defiantly across his chest.

"Your reaction is all the proof I need," I smirked, popping a piece of popcorn into my mouth. I immediately regretted it when the taste hit my tongue.

Frank chuckled at the disgusted expression on my face. "Now you know why we wasted it by throwing it at you. It tastes nasty."

"How did you even manage to burn it that bad?"

He shrugged. "I followed the directions on the bag."

"Somehow I doubt that," I grinned, tossing another kernel at him.

He tried to catch it in his mouth, then thought better of it at the last second. He moved his head out of the way and watched as the piece of popcorn hit the floor. Ray picked it up and shoved it in Mikey's mouth.

Mikey spluttered and spit it out, unable to continue the charade of watching TV. He coughed and shot a glare at Ray, who merely laughed.

Gerard mumbled softly, shifting slightly in his sleep. I smiled and stroked his hair gently. His eyes fluttered open and a strange expression crossed his face.

"Why does it taste like I ate something burnt?"

"Because you did. They thought it would be funny to toss burnt popcorn at us while we were sleeping," I replied.

His eyes narrowed as he observed his friends and brother. "You guys are dead."

Mikey rolled his eyes. "I'm shaking, Gerard," he pretended to be scared.

Frank snorted. "Yeah, what are you going to do? There's three of us and one of you."

"Actually," I interjected. "There's two of us, and one of us has the power to kick you out of her house."

"But you're way too nice to do something like that," Frank's eyes widened.

"You're right. But I am cutting you off from ever cooking anything here again. Except for making coffee. You did a good job of that."

"That's fine. I bet Mikey can make me popcorn. And he probably won't burn it, either."

I laughed. "You'd better hope he doesn't. If anything else turns out this black, I'll be the only one allowed to touch anything that can cook or heat food."

Frank shot Mikey a dark look. "Don't screw it up, Way."