I Never Told You What I Did for a Living

Quick Stop

I trudged out to Gerard's waiting car as we prepared to leave the following day. Mikey decided that he was going to stay at Gerard's apartment this time, and Ray had to go back to work. The only other passenger that wanted to return with us was Frankie. He tossed his duffel bag into the open trunk while I ducked into the front seat.

I felt disgusting. I'd had a shower that morning, but since I hadn't brought any clothes with me, I was still wearing the outfit from two days before. I leaned back in the seat and closed my eyes. I wasn't tired, I just wished that I could sleep forever. That way my problems couldn't bother me.

"You're sure you don't want to stop by the hospital on the way? Maybe conditions have improved," Gerard's gentle voice reached through my thoughts.

"I'm sure," I muttered through the hard lump that had formed in my throat. I didn't open my eyes, for fear that it would cause tears to fall.

"Road trip!" Frank yelled as he got into the backseat of the car.

"I wish," I grumbled.

"What do you mean?" Frankie sounded so innocently confused that a small smile cracked my dry lips.

"I wish we could go on a real road trip. Just sort of pack up and go, you know? No particular destination, just the thrill of the spontaneous journey. No worries or cares, just you, your friends, and the road."

"Let's do it!"

Gerard glanced over his shoulder at Frank. He shook his head slowly. "She has school, remember? If she has any more absences she won't graduate."

"I know that. I meant later. As a graduation present, maybe. We could abduct her after her last day of school and just go."

"I like that plan," I agreed.

"Sounds like a good way to kick off your last official summer holiday," Gerard said as he pulled away from his apartment.

"What's Mikey going to do by himself?" I wondered aloud.

"Nothing, if he knows what's good for him," Gerard replied, smirking.

"I can't see Mikey getting into too much trouble," I opened my eyes and watched various familiar buildings fade behind us.

Frankie laughed from the backseat. "Not yet."

"What are you talking about?"

"Oh, nothing. We just decided that someday he's going to move in with me, that's all."

"You're going to corrupt him! Poor little Mikey," I shook my head slightly.

We were all silent for the next few minutes. We were driving past the hospital. There were alternate routes we could have taken, but I knew that Gerard was trying to get me to reconsider. As we approached the turn for the parking lot, I realized that I hadn't told my father that I was going back.

"Wait, I need to go in there."

Gerard immediately headed to the hospital, his face looking almost smug.

"You haven't won," I informed him. "I just need to tell Dad that I'm going home."

Once the car was in park, I rushed into the large, beautiful building. Inside the entrance there were various plants and flowers scattered around, as though they were trying to make it feel more like a home. That was pretty much the last feeling I got when I walked in.

I continued down the white and pale blue hallway until I reached the room that I knew my father would be waiting in. To my surprise, it was empty. Confused, I turned back into the hallway. He could have been any number of places: the bathroom, the cafeteria, or even walking around the grounds. I knew he wasn't anywhere like that, though. Somehow I just knew exactly where to find him.

I gently pushed open the heavy door and let my eyes adjust to the dim light. The blinds in the room were open, but all of the light fixtures were turned off. Dad's head shot up when I entered. He was sitting at Mom's bedside, holding her hand and speaking in hushed tones. Mom's eyes widened in horror as she saw me.

"Why are you here?" she demanded.

I ignored her. "Dad, I'm going home, okay? I have school tomorrow and I can't miss anymore or I'll fail this term."

Dad nodded. "Okay, go ahead, Lily. I'll call you if anything happens. Is Gerard going with you again? And Mikey?"

"Gerard is, but Mikey has things to do here."

I watched my father's eyes darken.

"But our friend Frankie is coming. We won't be alone together, don't worry."

Dad merely nodded his head again and turned back to look at Mom. I took that as a dismissal and began to leave the room. As I let the door close behind me, I could hear my mother's delusional shrieks.

"You have a child? How could you not tell me?! And she's so old! How could you have a child so young?"

Dad frantically tried to calm her, but I lost all interest. I left the hospital, hoping that it was for the last time. I got back into the waiting car and flashed Gerard a quick smile.

"Okay, we can go now."

"You don't have any news?" he sounded disappointed.

"Only that my mother now thinks my dad had a bastard child when he was twelve or something."

Frank leaned up between the seats. "That would be sort of creepy."

"Just a little bit," I murmured sarcastically as Gerard once again put the car into gear.