Heaven Help Us Now

Inconspicuous

Look at her.

EDWARD CULLEN BARELY GLANCED up at Jasper's thought. He knew which girl his brother was thinking about. Every guy---hell, even the girls---had her on their minds. With dark flaxen curls and liquid-ice-grey eyes, she gave Rosalie Cullen a run for her money. The new girl was definitely something Forks, Washington, had not seen since the beautiful Cullen family moved into town.

CHANEL HARVARD SAT NEXT to a girl from her Trigonometry class. The girl---what was her name?---smiled invitingly and asked the trite questions: "Oh, you're new here? How's your first day?" Chanel answered politely, suddenly remembering: Jessica. Jessica grinned and took a bite of the food on her tray.

"Aren't you eating?"

"I-I don't eat school food."

Chanel smoothed out her expression as Jessica nodded, and the former began reading the book she'd brought. She could feel the scrutiny of the group at the table in the corner, all of them looking at her surreptitiously.

"Are you cold?"

Jessica' question jarred Chanel from her deep thinking. "Yeah. I'm not used to this kind of weather. I'm from Florida."

"Here's a jacket."

"Thanks, Jessica."

"How'd you know my name? I never told you what it was."

"I saw it on the worksheet we had in Trig. Sorry."

"Oh, no. Don't be. It's okay."

"So who are they?"

"The Cullens? Their 'parents' are too young to have kids, or they're too busy. Or something. Their father's Dr. Cullen---he works at the hospital. Edward and Emmet are brothers, Rosalie and Jasper are siblings, and Alice is the lonely one."

CHANEL SMILED AND DEPOSITED her bag onto the floor of her car. This would be easy. Just fit in, be on the sly, and don't draw attention. How hard could it be?