Summer and Forever

Don't tell Hilary

The assembly took too long to end. Girls began to cheer Ingrid as she went back to her seat. She flashed one vindictive grin in my direction and then sat down amidst the approval of her peers.

Kevin, a little flustered now, just sat down and refused to read out any more names so Nick took over.

They finished the assembly with the reminder that the formal was tomorrow night and so everyone was going to go into town and look for dresses. The boys’ music camp was a mile or two down the road. They were going to join us for the dance.

Kevin immediately found me as soon as the assembly was ended. His arms went around my shoulders and he pulled me close. “I’m sorry.” He said quickly. “I didn’t want to kiss her. I swear. I never thought she’d actually…”

I put my hand over his mouth. “You didn’t kiss her. The slut kissed you.” I growled. He relaxed visibly and sighed.

“Sorry about that though. I should have known that she’d try something. i should have thought like her.”

“Nah.” I forced a smile and wrapped an arm around his waist. “If you ever start thinking like Ingrid I’ll give you a manicure and facial.” He shuddered mockingly and a small smile came to my lips.

I felt a tap on my shoulder. Kevin stiffened and I knew who it would be.

“What do you want Ingrid?”

“I just wanted to ask what you thought of my demonstrational kissing. Did it give you any pointers? I know my way around Kevin and so I thought I’d give you a heads up on what exactly to do when kissing-”

I whirled around and caught her with my oncoming right hook so perfectly I should have been in a martial arts movie. Her nose broke swiftly and there was a crack as my fist connected. She fell like a potato sack to the ground and lay limply there just staring up at me in shock.

Kevin’s arm instantly restrained me but I was done. Instantly I felt guilt and something else; fear. I was afraid he’d dump me for hitting her. I bit my lower lip and didn’t dare look up at him. I just pulled away and jogged out of the hall.

I was back at the lake. I guess I wanted Kevin to find me. Predictably, his footsteps came up behind me a good thirty minutes after I’d disappeared. He didn’t sit down next to me and that worried me.

I closed my eyes and waited for him to break up with me and send me back home. “You know, I’m going to have to be careful of your right hook.”

I whipped round to look at him in surprise. He had a light teasing twinkle in his eye and the corners of his mouth were pulling up in a smile.

“You aren’t pissed at me for hitting her?”

“She deserved it.” I raised my eyebrows.

“Aren’t you the anti fighting, peaceful one?” NOW he sat next to me.

“I am but I also know when someone deserves a punch.” I had to admit. I was speechless. “Also…”

“Also?”

“I’m touched.”

“Huh?” Whatever I’d expected, I hadn’t expected that.

“That you’d get so mad over some girl kissing me…it was so sweet.” He made goo goo eyes. “Aren’t you just the cutest little thing?” He cooed as his hand reached to pinch my cheek. I slapped his hand away, laughing in spite of myself.

That boy just continued to surprise me. “They’re probably going to punish you by not letting you go downtown to buy a dress.”

“That’s cool. I just won’t go the dance.”

“Hell no! You’re going to leave me alone in a roomful of girls who now think they can get away with kissing me randomly?”

“They now know they can’t get away with it.” I muttered grumpily.

He chuckled. “Ingrid isn’t happy. You’ve damaged her face for the dance.”

“The poor dear.” I muttered sarcastically.

“You want to go back with me now or don’t you want to face anyone? Melina’s pretty worried about you.” I sighed.

“Can I hide in your room?”

“I think Hilary is looking for you.”

“Oh.”

H stood up, brushing off the seat of his jeans and held out a hand for me. When i grabbed it he pulled me up fast and i stumbled into him. He brought his lips to mine and for a few seconds nothing else in the world existed. "Can you promise me something?" He asked me.

"Mm hmm." I breathed.

"Don't tell Hilary what we've been doing this entire camp as justifcation for hitting Ingrid."

I burst out laughing and strode off up the path with Kevin's hand in mine. It was still going to be a beautiful day.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hm. Its an alright chapter i guess. Ingrid's nose got broken. hehehe