Summer and Forever

Mario Bro's

Kevin shook his head at my strange request. I just wanted to forget everything.

“If that’s what milady wishes.” He said jokingly.

“She does.” I replied. I still hadn’t told my parents I wasn’t coming home. I kept feeling that guy’s tongue in my mouth and I wondered if Kevin felt that way after Ingrid kissed him.

“I just realized something.” I said slowly.

“What Sari?”

“We just found out Ingrid’s perfect match.” He stared at me as if I’d gone completely insane and then burst out laughing. Making him laugh made me laugh and I felt the tiniest bit better.

“I should have gotten there sooner.” He said regretfully after a few minutes.

“Are you kidding?” I stared at him in disbelief. “You’d have to have precognitive powers to get there sooner. You’re my hero.” I batted my eyelids at him and he tried not to laugh. I tickled his chin and then he really laughed.

“You’re really alright?”

“Not completely. But I will be.” I promised.

He nodded. “Now milady requested a beating in a video game?”

“She requested a game.” I corrected. “The beating will be handed out for you being an ass when we came in.”

He winced. “Sorry.”

“It’s alright.” I grabbed his hand.

“Guess what?”

“What?”

“You’re going to have to set it up. I don’t know how.” He snorted.

“Technophobic.” I explained.

“Technoretarded more like.”

“Same thing.”

*******

Melina gripped me in a hug that crushed my rib cage and lungs. “Can’t…breathe.” I struggled to say as she grabbed me in a ferocious hug.

“That bastard! He completely ruined your night and…” She seemed to realize that I was having difficulties in breathing because she released me. I let out my breath in a rush.

“Um, my night wasn’t completely ruined.” Kevin was sitting on the couch, patiently watching Melina fuss over me. He didn’t like letting go of me even for a second. Normally I would have found this controlling but somehow I just didn’t want to be let go.

Joe gave me a hug next. His hug was definitely gentler. “Thanks for taking care of everything.”

He laughed. “We actually had to get three counselors to haul him out of the hall. He was out cold and bloody heavy.” I snorted with laughter.

Nick came up to me shyly when I held my arms out. I gave him a kiss on the cheek. “Thanks for everything Nick.” I smiled at him. He went a deep red and mumbled ‘it’s ok’ to nobody in particular.

Kevin huffed impatiently. I rolled my eyes. “Big baby.” I muttered.

“Yup.” He held an arm out for me to join him and I didn’t hesitate. When the arm enclosed me against his side I relaxed against him.

“We’re gonna watch The Ring.” Melina informed us as she plopped down onto the couch with Joe.

I shuddered. “Do we have to?” “Yes.” Joe said firmly. Even Kevin seemed interested in it so I shut up and let them put it on.

****

It was a truly horrible movie. I ended up pressing my face into Kevin’s arm so I didn’t have to see the horrible sights it showed. I could still hear it though.

“It’s over.” Kevin breathed into my ear. I pulled my face away and blinked. The credits were rolling. “Oh.” I said, startled. I hadn’t realized how the time had gone by.

I looked over at Melina and immediately wished I hadn’t. She and Joe were having a tongue wrestling session that wasn’t fun to witness. Kevin looked faintly disgusted too.

“If you go and wake Nick up I’ll take out the DVD.”

“That would require getting up.” I groaned. He grinned.

“Yes it would.” I sighed and got unwillingly to my feet. Stumbling across to Nick I almost giggled out loud at the sight of him. He was splayed ungracefully across the Lazy Boy he was sitting on and his mouth hung open. Drool had started to pool at one corner of his mouth and a loud snoring noise ripped from him every now again.

“Nick?” I whispered. I poked his shoulder. He muttered something but didn’t reply. “Nicky?” I said gently. I tended to coddle people when waking them up. He rolled over growling more distinctly.

I bit back a laugh and grabbed his shoulder more firmly. “NICK!” I shouted in his ear. He yelled and shot off the couch within a second. “I’m impressed.” I smiled coyly at him.

“What the hell?” He yelled.

“It was time for you to go to bed and the position you were in can’t have been good for your back.” I said calmly. He looked at me sleepily. “Seriously, how can you stand sleeping through that bloody awful movie?”

“Bloody awful?” Joe’s voice piped up.

“Yes.” I replied. “It was bloody awful.”

“Your girlfriend has no taste in movies. She probably likes chick flicks.” I glared at Joe.

“No, I like action, murder mysteries and comedy.” I growled.

“Yeah right.” He rolled his eyes and went back to Melina. I turned my back on them both, a bit put out by their behavior. I was just damn tired I guess. Kevin’s hand brushed my hair away from my face.

“Hey.” He said quietly. I looked at him.

“Hi.”

“You look tired.”

“A little.”

“Go to bed. I shouldn’t have kept you up.”

“Melina?” She broke away from Joe and looked at me. “Are you sleeping with Joe again?” I asked tiredly.

“I didn’t sleep with him.”

“You know what I meant.” I grumbled. Melina looked at Joe. He looked at her. “Yes.” She grinned at him. He grinned in return. I rolled my eyes. “Okay.” I yawned. “I guess I’m sleeping with you again.” I said to Kevin. Nick just looked faintly disgusted.

”Don’t worry Nicky. Your turn will come one day.”

“God I hope not.” He retorted.

I crawled underneath the covers in Kevin’s room and listened to the patter of rain that was beginning to hit the roof. I smiled and closed my eyes at the sound. I heard the door open and looked at him.

“Come here.” He held his hand out to me. I frowned, unwilling to leave the warm bed but finally I complied.

He led me out to the balcony that jutted from the back of his room. The rain hit us softly.

“It’s c…c…cold.” I complained. He wrapped his arms around me and pulled me into his body. “Look at the sky.” He said softly. I looked up and saw the rain falling like tears from the clouds. The clouds themselves were a blackened gray slightly illuminated by the moon shining across them.

“Wow, beautiful.” I said.

“Yes.” I looked at Kevin and realized he was looking at me as he said that.

“You’re gonna make a girl blush.” I grinned. He chuckled and softly stroked the side of my face. Another gust of wind hit us and I shivered.

“Alright. Bed time.” We walked back in and snuggled underneath the blankets. I buried myself until only my eyes were peeking out. “I’m cold.” I explained when he looked at me with a raised eyebrow.

“You look like a Martian.”

“That’s not nice.” He huffed his laughter and yawned hugely. His chest rose and fell with the yawn. In minutes we were both peacefully asleep and for the first time in a long time I felt completely secure and safe.
♠ ♠ ♠
I would like to take a minute to thank Mikey'sRevenge for the constant stream of comments. They have motivated me to keep going. Though lacking in content they are truly wonderfully warming to the cockles of my heart :D

THank you to my other commenters as well. They aren't many but they're awesome all the same