Summer and Forever

Breakfast with Kevin

I got shaken awake gently by the nurse who told me that it was the next morning and there was an hour before breakfast. My headache was gone so I decided to have a shower and wash my hair from all the lake water it’d received yesterday.

I heard chattering in the room and to my annoyance I heard Ingrid’s voice mention my fake name Skunk. “That bitch probably held her breath underwater so that she could get held by Kevin Jonas. How pathetic is she?” She sneered.

I winced and just stood there, listening. “Ooh, Kevin I’m underwater. Please rescue me with your big arms and broad chest.” I didn’t recognize that voice but I didn’t need to. It was probably one of Ingrid’s followers.

“She’s not that bad.” Melina. The kid had some guts, sticking up for the outcast.

“Shut your face Melina.” Ingrid threatened. Before it could get ugly, I opened the door and walked in.

The room went silent as they all looked at me. I knew I had a nasty bruise over my eye where I’d whacked my head. My face was its normal white color but the blackness of the bruise made it look almost gothic. I looked like hell.

“It’s alright. Please continue your discussion.” I said sweetly as I walked in.

“I have every intention of doing just that.” Ingrid replied just as sweetly. I silently gathered my shower stuff and towel while they sat awkwardly and waited for me to leave.

Melina was shuffling and shifting around, unsure of what to do. I left them all, shaking my head.

*****

The showers weren’t half bad. My white streaked raven hair looked messy so I brushed it and shoved it under a beanie. When I got back the other girls were gone, presumably to get to breakfast on time.

Melina was sitting on her bed hugging her knees and looking upset. “I saw what Ingrid did to make you fall.” She said, looking distraught.

I stared at her. “And…?”

“And I’m sorry!” I was thoroughly confused. “I should have spoken up and said something. I should have…I should have…”

I sighed. A do gooder. “No you shouldn’t have. You’d just be picked on and it’s not worth it. I’ll get revenge.”

She stared at me with wide eyes. “Revenge?”

“Sure.” She nodded, still clearly upset.

“So, are we getting breakfast?” She asked after a few minutes. I quickly dressed into jeans and an off the shoulder shirt. “I guess.” I shrugged.

I pulled my beanie off and rubbed my hair to partially dry it before letting it fall onto my back.

*******

The mess hall was crowded. Melina was waved over by some obvious friends of hers. She looked at me apprehensively and I knew she felt guilty about abandoning me. “Go ahead. I have to get food first anyway.”

Breakfast was bread and slop. I stared at it and I couldn’t help wrinkling my nose. “Ew.” I mumbled.

“You say something?” The cook asked aggressively.

“I said it looks great.” I replied. She raised an eyebrow and I moved away, scanning the crowd to look for an available spot.

The counselor table was swamped with students. Hilary was not particularly popular and she didn’t look happy. It looked like the Jonas brothers were getting all the attention but that’s what you get when you invite three famous guys to serve at an all girls camp.

I sat next to Hilary.

“Hello.”

“Well hey there camper. I heard about your accident.”

“Yeah…accident.”

“That’s a nasty bruise you acquired.” She went on cheerfully, happy that someone was speaking to her.

“Yeah, wood and heads don’t mix.”

She burst into a forced, over enthusiastic laugh and slapped her hand onto the table. “That’s a good one Cage! That’s a good one!”

Her loud voice attracted other people’s attention and she grinned when they looked at her questioningly. She just wanted attention. I rolled my eyes and ate my bread and slop. It didn’t taste any more appetizing then it looked.

****

Kevin slid into the seat next to mine with a slightly husky grin on his face. “Hey.” He said with a smile. He was obviously the more reserved of the brothers. “How’s your head?”

“Hmm? Oh. Yeah. Fine thanks. How’s yours?”

He looked surprised. “Fine thanks.”

“Good to know.” He chuckled and I gave him a half grin.

“You enjoying the breakfast any more then I am?” He asked.

“I don’t know if it’s possible to enjoy this breakfast.”

“It’s supposed to get better.”

“Key word there is supposed”
I saw Ingrid giving me death glares and I sighed.

“What’s wrong?”

“Hmm? Oh, I’m getting death glares from your number one fan.” He raised his eyebrows and looked over to where Ingrid was glaring at me.

“Oh, her. She comes here every year. She’s a real queen to all the newer girls and lords it over them.”

“I know. She’s in my cabin and reckons it’s funny to call me skunk.” I said sourly.
He chuckled.

“Hey!”

“Skunk is kind of funny, you’ve got to admit.” He bit his lip, trying not to laugh.

“Of all the people that could have saved me yesterday, it had to be the one that finds my insulting nickname amusing.” I remarked dryly.

“Well your hair is…” My joking mood vanished and I looked at him with a deadly glare.

“Do you have a problem with my hair?” He looked taken aback.

“Uh, no.” He backpedaled. “Your hair is fine. How do you dye it?” I raised an eyebrow. Did Kevin Jonas seriously just ask me how I dyed my hair?

“I don’t dye it.”

“What?”

“It’s natural.”

“Really? You’re an albino?”

I smirked. “I guess you could say that…”

Ingrid plopped into the seat on the other side of Kevin after making some poor girl move. “Hey Kevvy. Tough year this year, huh? All these new girls.”

“Hi. Yeah, it’s a little overwhelming but not too bad.”

“I see you’ve met Sk...Sarai.” Kevin just nodded and avoided her gaze, trying to lean away from her overwhelming smell of perfume. That meant he leaned into me and I felt a rush of heat from his bare arm making contact with mine. Ingrid saw this and scowled.

“You shouldn’t get involved with Sarai though. She tends to stink a little.” Ingrid said nastily.

I clenched my fist and was about to rise and attack her when Joe and Nick Jonas came over and I had to restrain myself. “Kevin, the activities have been cancelled so we’re going to go ahead with the music classes for a while. Becky wanted you to know.”

Kevin nodded and looked at me. “Help me set up?” He asked.

“I’d love to.” Ingrid replied. Joe made a face which Ingrid didn’t see and I couldn’t help but laugh.

“Yeah I’ll help.”

“Uh I think Kevin asked me.” Ingrid said venomously. Kevin looked at Ingrid apologetically.

“Actually I sort of asked Sarai.” Her eyes bulged and she looked mortified and furious.

I gulped quietly, knowing I would cop hell from her later, when her precious Kevvy wasn't around.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yeah, not putting up anymore until i get at least three subscriptions or some comments...please?