Summer and Forever

Discontentions

"Sarai honey?" Denise knocked on the door. I got up without disturbing Lockie and opened the door.

"Yeah?"

"You have a phone call." I walked downstairs with lead in my feet, still thinking about that program. She handed me the phone and left the kitchen so that I could have some privacy.

"Hello?" I said dully into the reciever.

"Sari?" Kevin's voice shocked me so much i bolted backwards a step into the chair. There was a clatter and then silence. "Sari? YOu alright?"

"I...yeah...no. I saw Melina...spoke to her.." I couldn't form a coherent sentence but he got it.

"I'm so sorry, she stole my phone." He growled. I laughed a shaky laugh. "Honey why are you shaky?"

"Nothing. Really." I forced a smile into my voice. "I'm ok." That sounded a lot more natural.

"I miss you too." He said quietly into the speaker. I laughed again and the shaky quality crept back into my voice. I gripped the phone hard as if it would get away and he would be gone forever.

"Kevin?"

"Yeah?"

"is Ingrid really Joe's girlfriend?" He sighed and I could almost picture his exact motions. He would rub his neck and a pained look would be on his face.

"Yes."

I swallowed. "Okay." I squeaked.

He laughed. "You couldn't sound more stressed if you tried."

"I just...I don't know. I don't like her at all."

"I know."

"She's not coming to the wedding is she?" He went silent. "She's not right?"

"She's Joe's girlfriend."

"You could break them up." I suggested weakly.

"I"m not interfering in his love life." He said indignantly. I laughed a bit more naturally and sat on the stool.

"Ok. I think we can deal with it." I could tell that Kevin was strangely angry about something. "Kev?"

"What?"

I had no idea what i'd done to make him so mad. "Um...nothing." I said miserably.

"I have to go." He sighed angrily.

"Will you call back later?"

"I don't know." He said bluntly. Then he clicked the phone off. I stared at the phone with a miserable feeling settling back in my gut. I felt sick. I didn't want to fight with him. I should've gone on the stupid tour.

I could've been with him...and...been with him. I shook my head and after replacing the phone I went upstairs to sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
Short chapter i know. Trying to keep the ball rolling here.