How I Missed You.

One of the Good Ones

James

“Hey Cooper,” I waved to my friend.

“Hey man, where were you this morning?” Cooper shut his locker door and leaned against the nearby wall.

“Oh I had a dentist appointment. Check up y’know?” I bent over to get to my locker. It was under Coops.

“Oh right, well you better hurry up, we’ve got maths now.”

“Oh right, yeah. You go on, I wouldn’t want to make you late too.”

“Kay, man, see ya in there,” Cooper waved to me and walked off in the direction of the H block class rooms.

I fumbled with my lock, what was my combination again? “Argh!” I slammed my fist into my locker door.

“Forget something?” A voice form behind startled me.

“Arianna, hey,” I spun around. I pulled on my lock once more and it finally opened.

“Eh, just for a sec, I guess.” I laughed at my own stupidity. Out of kindness, I think, Arianna didn’t join in.

“What do you have?”

I looked at the timetable I stuck to my locker door and groaned, “Math’s, you?”

“Math’s.”

“Haha, cool. Care to join me?” I asked.

“I’d love to.”

We started walking, I was unsure of the time, but I was almost defiantly sure that we were gonna be late.

“So, still doing what Jacob tells you to do?” Ariana asked.

“Still getting yourself into trouble?”

She laughed, “I guess I do kinda have a big mouth don’t I?”

“You think?” I chuckled.

“So, Jacob?”

“I told you, he doesn’t run my life, but he does keep me from getting beaten to a pulp every other day.”

She scoffed, “Of course he does! He’s the one doing the beating in the first place!”

“Your point?” I asked, shifting my books to my left hand.

“My point! Stand up for yourself! You don’t have to be friends with this… jerk. Just because it means a safe harbor.”

“Woah! Why do you care so much?” I asked, taking a step away.

She calmed herself, “I just don’t like seeing good guys getting won over by the bad ones.”

~~~~~

“Seriously dude?”

I nodded, I was walking back to the lockers with Cooper, Arianna had left the classroom as soon as the bell had rang.

“Wow, that’s freaky man.”

“Tell me about it,” I was telling Cooper about what had happened before class, about Arianna’s burst.

“Hey, she called you one of the good ones,” Cooper laughed.

“What does that have to do with anything?”

“I dunno?” He shrugged, “I mean how can she care about you that much? She doesn’t even know you yet.”

“I know, but I’ve never really had someone care about me that much before.”

“Man, your going soft, wait till Jacob hears this.”

“Hey,” I stopped Cooper.

“Relax man, I’m not gonna tell him. He’d flip f he found out you were even talking to that girl. What was her name again?”

I sighed, “Arianna, her names Arianna.”

“Right, right.”

I rolled my eyes and we headed to lunch.