How I Missed You.

Who said that?

I kicked the stones on the footpath as I made my way home. Mum had called when I was at my locker and told me to come straight home “no dawdling” were her exact words. I remember the note on the calendar and wondered if that had anything to do with my mum’s weird behavior. I walked up the driveway and knocked on the door. This was one of the days when I felt stupid for forgetting my keys, funnily enough that usually happened when my mum was home, which did save me from standing out side for a few hours but thanks to those times of forgetfulness my mum now thought I forgot my keys everyday.

I heard talking from inside and profanity coming from behind the door; mum must have stubbed her toe on the coffee table again. Finally, with the shuffle of keys and much muttering form my mother, the door opened.

“Good, it’s you,” she sighed.

“Who else would it be?” I asked as I wiped my shoes on the welcome mat.

Mum greased me off and walked back down the hall.

“You’re dressed awfully nice!” I yelled to her.

“Yes, well I hope you scrub up just as well,” she called back to me.

“And what’s that supposed to mean?” I called back, walking up the stairs.

“We’re going out tonight, of course. Didn’t I tell you?”

I leant over the banister, “No, I guess you failed to mention that!” I knew it. She was keeping things from me, I just didn’t know if it was on purpose or not.

“Oh, well, I’m telling you now. Now I’ve picked out what you’re going to wear—”

“Aww, mum! Did you have to?” I yelled at the top of my lungs as I ran straight to my room to find the outfit lain out neatly on my unmade bed.

I stared horrified at the scene. Ironed pants and button up shirt. Was she crazy? Were we going to a wedding?

“Mum,” I groaned to myself.

“Hurry up!” I heard mum call from downstairs, “I don’t want to be late!”

I sighed. Did parents enjoy this? Making us feel like idiots? Was this their purpose in life? I stopped asking myself questions and began to get changed. Apart from the fact that that the shirt felt weird when I moved, it wasn’t so bad.

“Are we ready?”

“Yeah, ‘cause this is what you call ready,” I mumbled.

“What, James?”

“Nothing, nothing. Yeah I’m ready.”

“Good. This is so exciting,” mum beamed.

“What is?” I asked. I had never been so confused in my life.

“Oh, stop asking questions and get in the car,” I got pushed towards the front door.

“Okay, okay, you don’t need to be so pushy mum,” I grumbled.

“Oh wait,” mum pulled me towards her and attempted to tame my hair. It felt like first grade all over again.

“Mum, please. Don’t you know by now that my hair has never sat flat?”

“I know dear, but there’s no shame in trying.”

“Yeah, except it’s complete waste of time,” I rolled my eyes. Mothers.

“Just in the car, Jimmy.”

“Okay, I’m going,” I laughed and went out the front door to the car parked out front.

The drive to wherever the hell we were going was a quiet one. I didn’t ask any questions because I knew my mum wouldn’t tell me. She was very could at keeping a secret, unlike me.

Finally the car stopped and I jumped out. “Mum?” I asked.

“Hmmm?”

“Where are we?”

“You’ll see.”

“We walked into a fancy restaurant. There was much chatter coming from the inside.

“Can I help you?” Some girl in a uniform came up to us. Her name tag read Jenna.

“Yes we have reservations,” mum whispered something into the girls ear.

“Right this way,” she said and extended an arm out to the numerous tables.

Mum lead the way and I followed behind the attendant, this was exactly where I didn’t want to be.

“Sharon!” Someone greeted us.

“Julie,” my mum replied.

“James?” I heard someone ask.

I looked up from my shoes and gasped. This couldn’t be happening.
♠ ♠ ♠
Chapter :P