How I Missed You.

How was I supposed to know that would happen?

I was scared for what today would bring. From everything that Isabella told me yesterday Jacob was really mad and hurt which made him one dangerous person. If only I could read minds, then I’d know exactly what he was thinking and whether or not I should stay away. But since I couldn’t, my plan was stay away. Or at least have someone in between myself and Jacob at all times.

I walked to school trying to remember what class I had first. I was pretty sure it was English and when I reached my locker Cooper confirmed it.

“You look worried,” Cooper stated as we made our way to English. “What’s up?”

I sighed, “Nothing, I’m just being stupid.”

Cooper stared at me unbelieving but dropped the subject.

Jacob wasn’t in English, he didn’t arrive late for second period P.E, and he wasn’t at lunch kicking around the footy with Shane and Reese. He was absent for his favourite wood work class and wasn’t flirting with Sierra at the lockers after school. He was away. Either he really was sick or he just wasn’t up to facing me today. No doubt he knew Isabella would’ve told me everything. I was suddenly terrified. If Jacob didn’t come to school he must be furious and seeing Jacob furious, well it was enough to make anyone faint.

Cooper, Reese and Craig didn’t think anything of Jacob’s absence but they knew something was up with me. I spent the whole day looking over my shoulder afraid that Jacob would spring out of the bushes and attack me. I wasn’t a wuss; I didn’t get freaked out by scary movies or strange noises in the dark. I didn’t believe in things like ghosts and vampires. I was a brave person but Jacob had the ability to scare the shit out of me.

I walked home after school still paranoid about Jacob lurking behind every bush. But I got home safely and was sure to lock the door when I got in. My mum was heading to a party and wouldn’t be back till really late, around twelve so I had the rest of the night all to myself.

I decided to get straight to it and actually try and do my homework for once. My grades were really starting to improve and I didn’t want to disappoint my mum by having them drop. I quickly skimmed over my English work writing things that didn’t make sense, the teacher wouldn’t really check to see if the work was right. I read the paragraph I had been assigned for History and did a few Algebra equations that were most definitely wrong. Then when I was on the verge of falling asleep I packed up my stuff and put on a movie. Tonight was Pirates of the Caribbean 1-3. My favourite was Curse of the Black Pearl. I grabbed the popcorn out of the cupboard that we had failed to eat yesterday due to Jacob’s departure and spread myself out on the couch.

Jack and Will were stealing a boat when the door bell rang. I paused the movie and hopped up to answer it. As soon as I had the door open I wish I had pretended not to be home. It was Jacob.

“Hi,” I said, trying to sound like I didn’t know what happened yesterday.

“Cut the crap James,” Jacob hissed, shoving me aside and entering the lounge room. I closed the door and followed behind him.

“Look, I’m sorry about Isabella alright? I really did think she liked you,” I lied.

“Bullshit. She never did and you were just covering!” Jacob shouted at me. “You know what she said yesterday?”

I shook my head, even though I did know.

“She said she liked someone else! And I think I finally worked out who that someone is,” he smirked.

Oh shit, I gulped. I felt the pain as his fist collided with my nose, surely breaking it. The blood ran down, into my mouth where I gagged at the taste. I crumpled to the floor as I took a second blow to the stomach and whimpered when I felt him kick me where no guy should be kicked. “No!” I gasped. How had this happened? The last thing I remember was hearing a chuckle and the front door slam as Jacob ran from the scene. Then all was blackness.

~~~~~

“James? James?” A voice called to me.

I opened my eyes the bright sunlight causing them to burn. I shut them again quickly. I heard someone running and then the sound of the curtains closing. Uncertainly I reopened my eyes to find darkness meet them. I went to sit up and felt two hands help from behind. I touched my hand to my face to find it clean. Whoever woke me must have cleaned the blood away.

“Are you okay?” The voice asked. I now recognised it as Isabella.

I turned towards her, wondering how she got it.

She seemed to read my mind and said, “The front door was open.”

I nodded. She stared at me, asking with her eyes, “I’m fine,” I told her, “just a little sore.”

She nodded jumping up and grabbing and icepack for my nose. My stomach was aching and my balls hurt but not so much that I couldn’t grin and bear it.

“Wh-What happened?” She asked sitting down beside me.

I groaned as I touched my nose and felt the full effect of the punch, “Jacob.”

She gasped. “I’m so sorry James. This is all my fault!”

“No, it’s mine. I should’ve just told Jacob straight out that you didn’t like him. It’s my problem, now he thinks you like me instead of him.”

She blew out a puff of air and stared at the carpet her brow creased like she was thinking hard.

“I’ll have to go explain. I only told him that I liked someone else so he wouldn’t feel as bad,” Isabella sighed pulling at her hair.

“So you don’t like someone?” For some reason I really needed to know the truth.

“No,” she shook her head.

“The lie will come back to haunt you,” I stated simply.

~~~~~

I was relieved when Isabella offered to talk to Jacob, but I knew it was up to me to fix the situation. Either something I did or said made Jacob believe Isabella liked me and I was determined to stop some stupid misunderstanding destroy our friendship. So Thursday morning came and I left far earlier than usual, I wasn’t going to school, but was taking a detour to Jacob’s house. I figured that if I actually showed up with a purpose he’d have to talk to me, he can’t avoid me in his own house. Of course this was plan A, plan B would be to follow him around for the school day until he gets so annoyed that he can’t not talk too me. Of course plan B would only work if he actually came to school that day. I hadn’t worked out a plan C so I was hoping that plan A fulfilled its purpose, preferably giving me enough time to get too School after.

I wore my hoodie over my school uniform and tucked my ear phones inside slipped my hood up; it was getting chilly despite forecasts for bright sunny days. I cranked the volume up wishing the music would calm my nerves and let me think of that to say. Jacob would yell, of that I was sure. And once he was finished I’d have to state my case and hope he realises his mistake. This could be a long morning.

I looked up; Jacob’s house loomed over me. Well the house didn’t, it was only one story but the trees around the edge looked kind of creepy. But I was just trying to scare myself. I walked up the driveway and knocked purposefully on the front door which was situated so carefully that if you had never been to Jacob’s house before you’d have no idea there even was a front door and might try to climb over the fence to get in the back way.

There were a few minutes where I thought no one was going to answer but then, through the tinted glass I saw the reflection of what could only be Jacob before he opened the front door. He mouth was set in a hard line and he wasn’t changed yet, still wearing boxers and a singlet top. I cleared my throat, it was now or never.
♠ ♠ ♠
Here look! As promised one chapter. I know it's later than I expected too, it's 8:30pm but the computer's been so slow today. And yes I know that's a crap excuse but it's the only one I've got.
I'll hopefully get another chapter up tomorrow, most likely it'll be up late though, I tend to get distracted during writing.
:D