How I Missed You.

I want my Mummy!

Tuesday came too fast, one minute I was sitting on the couch watching movies with James and the next I was waking up to the beeping of my annoying alarm clock. One thing for sure, I was not ready for this oral. I especially wasn’t ready for James to see me make a fool of myself.

I spent half an hour going over my speech, rushing to get ready for school and leave the house early enough that I wouldn’t be late. Neither Mitchie nor Jamie came to pick me up; I had asked them no to, expecting my Tuesday morning to be a hectic one. I rushed out of the house at 8:45, failing to kiss my mother goodbye. Pulling up my socks and fixing my hair I hopped to school, thankful that no one could see me. Going over my speech once more in my head I saw the black car come around the corner, saw it idle at the curb just a few meters behind me, saw the hooded figure open the drivers door and hop out, saw the glistening off the kitchen knife he held in his right hand. Ignored it all, until I felt the blade against my neck and I was as helpless as a rag doll. Screaming inside my head, I saw the world split and the ground rush up to meet my face.

James

I scuffed my shoes on the stone pavement as I waited at the bus stop, I was glad to have almost all day to get to Isabella’s school. I wore my faded school uniform and school bag for display, I had told my mother it was just a normal school day, not wanting to lie to her about the swimming carnival. My groan cut through the silence, the bus was late and I hated waiting. My stomach growled, I hadn’t had a very hearty breakfast and the only things I had on me were a couple of sour worms. And did I mention, THE BUS WAS LATE! Stupid public transport.

~~~~~

I hopped off the bus before it was my stop; there were too many mothers with screaming infants shooting me daggers as ditching school. I looked up at the sky; the sun was hiding behind a cloud casting a dark shadow over the streets. I used to think that when the sun hid behind a cloud it was because it was angry at someone, or felt over exposed.

There were still a few blocks before I’d come to Isabella’s school and she didn’t have English till period three after lunch. I would’ve joined her then, but I didn’t want to risk seeing Jamie, who she’d most probably be with.

When there was ten minutes till period three I headed off to Isabella’s school, hoping to camp outside the window before the teacher got in. Lucky for me Isabella’s English classroom was at the very edge of the school so no one was around, and luckier still, the window was already open, so I grabbed my jacket, laying it down so I wouldn’t get a sore arse and plopped myself down on the grass.

I started to get worried when Isabella’s class came in and there was no sound of her voice, even more worried when I was brave enough to sneak a peek into the classroom and she wasn’t there, far more worried when the teacher marked the role and some blond girl said Isabella’s hadn’t been at school all day. She had just texted me last night saying she was definitely going to school and nothing but a terrible virus would stop her from getting out of bed in the morning, and even then she surely would have called to say I had no reason for coming. But she hadn’t done that and she wasn’t at school. That left a lot of unanswered questions and I shivered as a whole manner of disturbing images flashed into my mind as to where she might be and what might be happening to her.

Pushing those thoughts from my mind I silently slipped away from the window, grabbed my phone and dialed Isabella’s number.
No answer.
Dialing, I tried again.
No answer.

I had recently acquired all of Isabella’s friend’s phone numbers and now I punched Jamie’s number into my phone and sent a text flying his way.

Hey Man,
Where’s Isabella?


I waited a few seconds before my phone started to buzz, flipping the cover off I read the quick message from Jamie.

I don’t know. I thought she was just sick or something.

I don’t think so; she said she was coming today. I know it’s weird, but I’m worried, she’s not answering her phone.

Where are you?

I stared at my phone, puzzled, then texted back my whereabouts.

I’ll be there in two minutes.

Wow, I thought as I shut my phone and shoved it back into my pants pockets. Jamie must really care about Isabella, maybe I’ve misjudged him, just a little bit.

I waited behind a rose bush in case someone I didn’t want seeing me came walking past. After a few minutes I heard the voice, “Psst, James? Ouch? Where the hell are you?”

I chuckled stepping out from behind the bush, “Right here.”

He rolled his eyes, “So tell me what you think happened with Isabella?”
♠ ♠ ♠
Chapter :)