How I Missed You.

The Phone Call

Isabella's

"Mum!" I called stepping through the doorway. I went to the kitchen and placed my bag on one of the kitchen stools.

Mum was usually in here when I got home from school. I grabbed a soda from the fridge and headed into the lounge room. Maybe she was watching T.V.

I reached the lounge room doorway, but heard no sound coming from within. The door was open a crack and I peeked in. No mothers in there. Where was she, she should have been back from work hours ago.

Just then the phone rang and I rushed back to the kitchen to answer it, all worries about my mum gone.

I picked up on the third ring. "Hello?" I said breathlessly.

"Hey," the other end replied. It was my best friend, Mitchie.

"Oh, hey Mitch!" I sat down on the nearest stool. Which just happened to be the one with my school bag on it. As I sat down I heard the remains of my lunch being flattened to a pulp.

"So girl, what up?" she asked me.

I laughed, "Like you wouldn't know. I saw you ten minutes ago!" I replied.

"Hey, I'm trying to make conversation!" We both laughed this time. You didn't talk to Mitchie you listened.

"So what is it this time?" I asked her, grabbing my school bag from under me and slamming it onto the kitchen bench.

"Gosh, Bell, you sound like my mum," she laughed, "Well, guess what?"

"What?" I asked, with my most interested voice. It sounded very false, because I really wasn't that interested. Mitchie's idea of news was usually a discount at the mall.

I heard her sigh on the other end, "Isabella, I told you to guess."

I waited, like hell I was going to guess, it could be a million things.

When I didn't answer she went on, "Oh, fine! Josh just asked out me out!"

See I told you so no big deal, just another guy. "That’s great Mitchie!" I said in a falsely exited voice, I don't think she noticed though.

"Isn't it," she squealed, "Were going out Saturday!"

Poor Josh, he'd get dumped just like the rest. Most of Mitchie’s relationships had lasted just over a week. She just couldn't go out with the same guy for longer than that. She had said once that it was a big stretched on her social life. If you dated one guy for too long then eventually everyone else would lose interest in you, and she just couldn't let that happen. She had a plan to date every guy in our year level before school ended and so far she was making great pace.

"Well you guys have fun, were you gonna go?" I asked, I had been thinking for to long, Mitchie didn't like silences, of any kind. She never allowed you personal space, or time to think. And at times I suppose that was good thing. It’s one of the reasons I’d chosen her for a friend, but then again when your new, who else is going to take you in?

"Oh, I don't know, some place romantic I hope!" I snorted under my breath. Romantic? In your dreams Mitchie.

The front door opened and I heard my mum call me, "Oops, sorry Mitch, got to go, my mums home."

"Oh okay, see you tomorrow then, ily girl!"

"Bye," I hung up the phone glad I got out of that one.

~~~~~

That night I sat on the stairs reading, my favorite book, Twilight. I did this every night, I didn't like my room, it was too small. I use to sit up in the tree house and read, but I didn't have the tree house anymore. It was never really mine, but it felt like it was.
As I sat reading I heard mum on the phone, I didn't know who she was talking to and I suppose now, that I shouldn't have been eaves dropping, but something told me I should.
I sat on the seventh step, out of my mum's eyes.

"Oh, hi, it's so nice to hear from you." My mum said
"Oh, I’ve been fine, yourself?"
"Oh, well she's fine I suppose. She sits and reads all the time, the poor dear."
"Oh, it's terrible. They were so much happier before. I feel so terrible."
"Oh yes!" Mum jumped up.

Up until that point I had managed to catch the whole conversation, but then mum came out of the kitchen so I had to dash up the stairs before she saw me. Close call.