Destination Beautiful

IX - Getting Back

Silence overcame the studio once again as Mike put away his coffeecup in utter shock. Tré’s drumstick slipped out of his hand and clattered on the ground.

“Adie?” Mike asked, still in disbelief.

“Yes, Adie yes!” Billie said. “So, there you go, now you know..”

“But, when? Why?”

“I don’t know..” Billie said.

“She.. some weeks ago she started to get more distant and stuff.. She stopped calling and stuff and when I’d call her it was always very short and well, she was always the one to hang up first.”

“Duuude..” Tré mumbled.

“And today I called her up and some guy answered-“

“Some guy answered her phone?” Mike said in disbelief.

“Yeah and..” Billie swallowed. “I heard her calling him babe,” he said, biting his lip for a moment.

“What the-“ Tré said.

“Yeah, I know. What the fuck, right? As if she would ever.. It’s just that bastard’s fault!” Billie suddenly said, clutching his fist.

Mike looked at Billie for a moment before going over to him and giving him a hug.

“That sucks man, I’m sorry,” he said. “But we’ll figure something out.”

Billie tried to smile.

“Thanks,” he said.

Mike smiled a bit, patting his back.

“Group huuug!!” Tré suddenly called out, crawling out from behind his drumkit and pushing himself onto Billie and Mike.

“Tré, dude,” Billie said as he tried to free himself.

Tré smirked.

“Aw, Billieboy. You know you love it.”

Billie started chuckling and before they knew it all three of them started laughing and didn’t stop for a good few minutes after.

***

“Hey, what’s up?” Steven asked me, as he sat down beside me on the couch I’d been sitting on practically the whole night, bluntly staring in front of me, thinking about past events, and well, I had to admit, thinking about Billie Joe too. He seemed really upset, and part of me just wanted to hug him tightly and tell him everything was gonna be okay.
I looked aside for a moment.

“Nothing, why?”

“Because, Morgan, I know my little sister well enough to know something’s up when she silently stares in front of her for hours.”

I shrugged.

“It’s nothing, really.”

“Alright,” Steve said, ”Don’t keep it for yourself if something’s wrong though.”

“Nah..”

Like there’s someone I could go to when you’re gone.

“Okay,” Steven said and he smiled, placing a kiss on my cheek. “I’m going to bed, gotta be at the airport in time tomorrow. You should go too.”

I nodded and wished him goodnight, but I didn’t get up to go to bed until much later that night.

***

“Are you sure you wanna do this?” Mike asked, looking over at his best friend since 11 years. They’d gone through a lot together, since that day they met in the school’s cafeteria. School, parents, girlfriends, it seemed like Mike and Billie practically spent their whole life together, that’s how much Mike felt he knew Billie. And Mike knew just how upset Billie was with the whole situation, even though Billie himself seemed to hide it pretty well. He sure as hell hoped Adrienne wasn’t gonna let him down, he cared so much for her. Everything was different when they met, it was hardly anything like previous relationships Billie had had. As far as Mike was concerned, Adrienne was Billie’s first true love. And so he hoped for his friend, that she wasn’t just going to let it slip away. Billie deserved true love more then anyone.

Billie Joe had his eyes fixed upon the screens that hung above their heads, informing them about the latest flights from Oakland International Airport.

“I have to..” he mumbled, his green eyes scanning the screen.

Minneapolis, 9:30 am, flight status: check screens for latest information.

He sighed.

“What time is it?”

“Just after 9,” Tré said, checking his watch.

“Damn.. shouldn’t they like.. announce the fucking gate? I mean it’s fucking 30 minutes!”

“Yeah, well,” Mike said, sharing a look with Tré for a moment.

“It’ll be fine,” Tré quickly said. “It says to check the screens. Maybe there’s just a delay or something. Or they’ve managed to work really fast and stuff everyone in within half an hour. Or something.. I don’t know, I guess it’s fine.”

Billie Joe shrugged and continued his gaze at the screen.

***

“Steve, look, it says boarding now. Number one says boarding now,” Cathy practically screamed. She’d been watching that monitor for ages, knowing that flight number one was my brother’s flight.

Steven looked up.

“Ah yeah, you’re right. Thank you Cat,” he replied, smiling down at her.

I sighed looking at the screen, and turned to face my brother.

“Well, I guess this is it then, again,” I said.

“Yeah..” Steven said, smiling a bit.

“Does this mean you have to leave now Steve??” Cathy said, going over to her big brother and wrapping her little arms around his waist. Well, legs. Her brother was very very big and she was still little.

Steven kneeled down, so he could face his little sister.

“Yes Cat,” he said. “I’m sorry but I have to go back to school.”

“But why can’t you go to my school? It’s closer!”

He chuckled.

“I’m at the big school now, so it is far.”

“But Morgan doesn’t go either!”

Steve looked at me for a moment as I tried to keep a straight face at that comment. It’s not like Cathy could’ve known already. She was only ten years old. But it still hit me.

“I’ll be back soon, okay Cat? I love you,” Steven said, hugging Cathy and placing a kiss on her hair.

He stood up again, facing me, and pulling me in a tight hug.

“You take care okay?” he said.

I nodded, wiping away the tears that were forming in my eyes.

“I will,” I said. “You too.”

He released me, stroking some hair out of my face and placing a kiss on my cheek.

“Don’t forget that I love you, ok? And I’m there if you need me. Don’t feel alone.”

I smiled weakly as I felt someone tugging my hand.

“Morgan are you sad? Don’t feel sad!”

I chuckled a bit, taking Cathy’s hand.

“We gotta say bye to Steven,” I said.

Steven smiled.

“I’ll be back soon,” he said, before turning around and leaving for his gate.

“Bye Steve!!” Cathy yelled, as we both waved.

***

“Stupid fucking airport,” Billie Joe muttered to himself as he rushed his way through the crowd of busy businessmen, crying goodbye-saying girlfriends and family gatherings. He knew he had to check other screens. It’s just weird when at the check-in desk they tell you to board 40 minutes prior to your flight, some departures information screen down the hall still won’t tell you your gate number 20 minutes before take-off. Some problem with the software, they’d said before apologizing and giving him the right number of his gate. Like he could give a damn about what was wrong. He just wanted to get to Minnesota. So now he was hurrying to catch his flight to Minneapolis in order to get his girl back, and teach that guy a lesson.

***

We watched and waved at Steven until he’d completely disappeared out of sight. I took Cathy’s hand, turning around and heading for the exit.

“Morgan.. why don’t you go to school?”

I sighed, looking at my sister for a moment.

“Because..” I started, but I had no idea what to say to her. I couldn’t tell her it was because of her, I didn’t want her to feel guilty over something that wasn’t her fault. Even though it was because of her.

“Maybe you should ask daddy that sometime.”

***

It seemed he had to walk for miles, but he’d made it. Billie Joe sank down in his seat and fastened his seatbelt. He reached for his bag and got out a notebook and a pen. Sitting in that airplane, it didn’t take him too long to get back into what seemed so familiar for him, even though it seemed to have fainted out lately. Something inside him had hold him back from what he was so good at doing, something had somehow blocked his ability to do it. But now, as if it’d never been gone, it was back, and Billie Joe was writing again.

I don't know you
But I think I hate you
You're the reason for my misery
Strange how you've become my biggest enemy
And I've never even seen your face

Well maybe it's just jealousy
Mixing up with a violent mind
A circumstance that doesn't make much sense
Or maybe I'm just dumb..


**authors note: I'm sorry for the lack of updates, life's suddenly gotten more busy and interesting as I thought xD however I plan to do more regular updates from now on, but I could really use some feedback for that. So please leave me a comment, it helps me improve myself and it keeps me motivated. Thanks! =]
Oh and, for you blunt people out there. Song is Chump, by Green Day. Obv.**