Land of the Unknown

Chapter 3

I wasn’t born with this ‘talent’ and at first I didn’t like having it. Sometime I still don’t. But if I’m helping people live out the rest of their lives then it’s worth it, right? When I was 12 Anna and I were driving with her parents to visit Anna’s grandma for her birthday. I only came because I met her grandma once and she really liked me for some bizarre reason and every time she comes over to Anna’s house she asks for me, so Anna’s parents asked me to come along as a surprise. Everything was fine we were halfway there when we were going through an intersection when a van smashed into Anna’s parent’s car. Everything happened fast after that. It was like we went from driving to in an ambulance to the hospital. I managed to come out of the whole thing with a couple bruises same with Anna’s mom, Lynn. Anna’s dad, Paul only broke his arm. But Anna had it the worst. The way the van hit, was directly where Anna was sitting. Anna was in the hospital for weeks in a coma, and several broken ribs. I pretty sure I missed almost a month of school just sitting by her hospital bed. Anna was my best friend, I thought I was going to lose her, and one day it really got to me. What if Anna doesn’t wake up? I was holding onto her tiny hand so hard. It’s funny because I can still remember it like it was yesterday. And when I was holding onto her hand and wishing, hoping, praying that she would come out of this coma, her eyes suddenly fluttered open. I was scared out of my mind. I was glad to have my best friend and all but did I actually bring her out of it. I thought I was crazy for the longest time. Until I told Anna what happened when she woke up. She told me it wasn’t like waking up it was like someone was yanking at her, forcing her to wake up. So after I tested it out a few times, and no not on random people, I decided that I actually did have these powers. I’m not completely sure if I always had them or if it was the impact the van had when it hit us, or even something else. Whatever it is, I still have this freaky power. Not that I’m complaining or anything but I feel like such a freak. Not only do I have to deal with my parents, go to school, watch my little brother, go to work to try and make enough money for when I go to University but I have these powers to. I was reliving the day of the car crash while sitting on a bench at the park watching Nathan play. It’s like the memory came at me from nowhere. Looking at my watch I see it’s getting late.

“Nathan, buddy, time to go home”

“5 more minutes?”

“Nathan you need a bath and an early sleep”

“Fine.” He grumbles

“Thanks, and who knows maybe dad will be home.” That remark lights up his face. My dad tends to be home more than my mom. Wouldn’t want to get his hopes up by telling him she might be home.

When we get home it turns out that my mom is home instead of my dad. Which makes Nathan ecstatic; it makes me want to run the other way.

“Mom we’re home. Dinners in the fridge.”

“Mommy! I made cookies today at Anna’s house. We used cookie cutters!”

“Oh, Nathan sweetheart that’s great but mommy needs some peace and quiet; I’m working on a big case.” I only nod to acknowledge what she said. “And Isabelle, why weren’t you watching your brother today? You weren’t working at that horrible ice cream shop were you? I swear they have mice.”

“No mom I wasn’t working and no mom they don’t have mice. I was running a few errands, Anna was nice enough to offer to watch Nathan.” I manage to say while grinding my teeth together.

“Oh. Well then why don’t you take your brother upstairs and clean him up. He has sand under his nails” how she managed to know that is not clear to me. I mean she hardly looked at Nathan how in the world did she notice sand under his nails. It’s like a radar, seek out everyone’s flaw and point them out.

“Yea, sure thing. Come on Nathan, maybe after your bath we can watch some tv.”

“Can we watch SpongeBob?”

“Of course we can.” I say while patting his head.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm going to put up another chapter. Comment are wanted. Pointers would be great too :) After this chapter i will probably update once a week, unless i get more comments.