Status: very slow activity

Is That Your Reason or Your Excuse?

Do you really think it’s a good idea?

"Amy! What are you still doing here? You have to leave!" Uncle Joe said frantically as he grabbed my arm and dragged me out in the hall.

"But Uncle Joe, I'm not done cleaning," I tried protesting.

"It's good enough from what I can tell. A lot better then it usually its, that’s for sure. I never knew such a teenager that could make such a mess," He rambled.

We finally made our way to the kitchen and I was instantly hit by a wave of sweet fragrances. I looked around and saw that a few of the servers were finishing off putting icing on cupcakes and a really huge cake. It almost made me wish I was invited to this party. Of course Bianca, the Baker's personal Italian Chief and Baker, was well skilled in the kitchen. She could make any food or pastry look scrumptious.

She was one of the few that was actually allowed outside the basement during the time the Baker's were present. They loved Bianca, mainly because of her Italian heritage, and the Baker's were also Italian, s-another fact I knew about the family. I walked over to the counters and soaked in every food that was displayed. It took all self control not to dip my finger into the beautifully displayed cupcakes covered in icing.

"Lovely, no?" Bianca asked.

"Amazing," I complemented with a sincere smile.

She smiled back and continued icing the chocolate cake. I was so transfixed as I watched Bianca that I totally forgot that I was suppose to be heading into the basement until Aunty grabbed my arm, opened the door and dragged me downstairs, Uncle Joe following close behind. I sighed reluctantly and went over to my bed and sat down, once we got to the basement.

"I wish my birthdays were lavished with that many sweets," I sighed dreamingly. "I bet Zacky must be overjoyed to have such a birthday."

"Yeah right," Uncle Joe snorted. "I've never met such a spoiled and unhappy kid in my life. All he does his whine and whine, and beg and beg. If he was my kid I'd give him a nice beating!"

"Now, now Joseph," Aunt Wendy said shaking her head in dismay. "Those kids have troubled times just like the rest of us down here. It saddens me to see young Master Zacky and Matt so unhappy. Parents are never there, no ones give them the proper attention, and no one gives them the right amount of love either."

"I never realized you could be so unhappy with such a great deal of money," I mumbled.

"Believe it!" Uncle Joe exclaimed. "Money either drives you crazy or kills you. But I'd say Mr. Baker was loco before he got the money."

I began giggling lightly before Aunty shushed him and the whole basement was quiet besides a few mumbles and whispers from the other servers. As Uncle Joe and Aunty went away I began rummaging under my bed where I kept my personal belongings. Mostly old magazines and ancient books Aunty gave me in recent years. I even had a few pictures that hung around my bed from those magazines, pictures of bands, phrases, and even a few I just put there just because. I liked to personalize anything I had, it made it feel more like mine.

Ever since I've gotten here I felt like such an outcast. I didn't really belong here, I always felt like a cube being forced into a circular hole. I simply just didn't fit in, as much as Aunty and Uncle Joe reassured me I did. But there wasn't much I could do, I had no other relatives, my parents were long gone. And I don't even know who they were, I never possessed a picture. But I guess it really can't be helped, maybe once I move out of here I start looking for answers. But until then, I have to clean the house everyday.

As I continued looking under my bed I found a brown box. I pushed all magazines and books aside so I can firmly get my grip on the worn out box and pull it out. Once I did so, I opened and picked out a photo that was set carefully of the very bottom of the box with other pieces of scrap paper and such. And on that picture was a depicted moment in my life where I was truly fortunate and I couldn't even remember it.

My mother and father smiling, holding a baby who was securely wrapped in a pink blanket. I was also smiling but with a toothless mouth, of course. Even if I don't remember, I still wish I could return to those days. The days where I could feel the sun shining on my face. They simple days were I was careless and free. I would do anything to be free. Free from these confined walls, and free from the loneliness I feel everyday. I would do anything.

I quickly put the photo away along with the box and placed it under my bed where it originally was. I did this as I heard frantic footsteps coming down the basement stairs. Every head turned because whoever was coming down was obviously in a hurry, and if there was an accident we always did our best to clean it up in that moment. I never was the one who cleaned up in such emergencies but the silence that always fell when the thunderous footsteps were heard just became a habit after all these years.

"Hurry!" Bianca yelled as she slammed the door open.

Which wasn't such a hard thing for a round lady.

"The Baker's are short on caterers!" She exclaimed as she wiped the liquid beads off her forehead with her icing smudged apron.

After that a swarm of hush but alarming whispers went about in the basement. Personally this really wouldn't seem like a big deal but to the Baker's, it was everything. Servants must do everything to keep them happy. Everything. And if caterers were short, and no one filled in the job, hell would most certainly be set loose. Especially if it was on one of their birthdays, because everything had to be perfect. With the Baker's, there was no imperfection and it was our job to make sure of it.

Quietly volunteers spoke up to help fill in the need, but in the end they still came in short. No one else could help out since everyone already had a job they needed to do. They all looked around, searching for a participant. There was anticipation as they searched but suddenly someone suggested something that made my skin prick.

"Why doesn't Amy help out?"

Usually I wouldn't have a job helping out. But you have to realize I'm a sixteen year old that's never seen the light of day. I was going to help cater to a birthday party, not just any old birthday party, Zacky Baker's birthday party. Where it's not just him and his family, it’s the whole neighbor hood of teenagers. I've never had any contact with someone my age in forever, I don’t' think was ready to do so tonight. I couldn't handle the stares or comments someone could possibly make of me. I surely couldn't compare to any of these high class teenagers, especially when I'm just a servant. There was no way.

"Why yes, you don't mind do you, Amy?" Aunty asked.

I looked over at her.

"Do you really think it’s a good idea, Aunty? I mean what if I mess up or-"

"Oh nonsense! You'll do fine. Its just walking around handing entrées to people. Nothing hard. What do you say?" She asked sweetly.

With that face, of course I couldn't deny her wishes. I swallowed my fears and nodded, hoping tonight would go as smoothly as it could possibly go.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, this is kinda just a filler.
Next chapter will be more exciting. Promise!!

comments = Happy Writer/Quicker Updates.