Dreams that Never Wake

The Impossible is Possible

My eyes shoot open, an underground beat pulsating though my skull. That same memory haunts me every time I fall asleep. I identify the underground pulse I’m feeling, it’s the bass from a song turned up too loud, screaming in my ringing ears. I remember this house. It’s the only place I’ve ever known, since I lost my parents. I remember the man in this house, a man I feel such hatred for, I feel like I’m burning, my skin on fire. I remember defying this same man. And I remember the deathly glare shooting out of his eyes, at me.

It’s frightful, when he’s angry. Like something straight out of hell, his eyes seem to turn a coral black, his fists clutched with a dark, uncontrollable rage. The strike; like a snake, pouncing on its prey. Me; the victim of his deadly attacks.

I feel the unmaintainable desire to flee from this place I lay. The instinct, something I thought long suffocated. I turn on to my side, my front encrusted with thick dirt. Abruptly, I’m grabbed roughly, violently, my shoulders screaming with aching pain. My heartbeat screaming, running rapidly. I search for my attacker, already knowing the only one person to grab me this way. The same man hits me today. The same man to take me from all I loved. Enraged eyes intently stalk me, looking straight into my soul. His face, pure malevolence, looks even darker tonight. He doesn’t have to say anything. I already know. I’m wiser now, not as innocent and beautiful as the child he stalked and found irresistible. I was a burden now. One he was going to deal with.

I probably deserved it. I mean, I had wasted my life with this man I so deeply despised, the man I was so disgusted, repulsed by. This man had stolen me from my home, when I was a child. Stolen my family, the only one’s who have ever cared for me. Stolen a life I could have had. I never dared myself to think these thoughts, to think of everything I’d lost, everything I could have been. A doctor. A scientist. Someone’s best friend.
I feel a furious heat rush to my core and down my bruised arms.
I want out.

His iron grasp tightens on my upper arm. I bite hard on my lip. I taste blood. Adrenalin pumps in my veins, my heart beating strong. I stare into his coral black eyes with the hatred I’ve felt for a lifetime. A lifetime of not living, just being. I smile.