A Twisted Love Affair

The hardest part of this is leaving you

I sat in bed for hours, thinking about dad. Thinking about all the time he’d spent with me, trying to cheer me up, thinking about everything he’s ever done for me, all the times he’d defend me. I think the memories that kept appearing most were the ones of all three of us together as a family.

At some point mom came into my room, but I didn’t look at her or talk to her. I just stayed buried in my own little world. In fact I’m not even sure if she left, or if she stayed in my room, watching me.

Eventually I had to go downstairs. I hadn’t eaten since the smores and it was now 3:00 p.m. “Oh honey!” My mom started mauling me with hugs the minute I walked into the kitchen. “Honey, I’m so sorry. I didn’t mean to upset you and I didn’t mean for you to get involved in this.” I could see that she’d been crying and I started to feel a bit guilty. “Mom it’s not your fault. I love you.” We were silent for a few moments before I pulled away looking for food. As much as I love my parents, I was still starving.

At around 7:00 Ryan called our house. He asked if I wanted to meet him, just to hang out and talk. I took him up on his offer; he always seemed to make me feel better. In fact he was almost as talented as dad in that department.

We met up at the park at around 8:00. The sun had gone down and all the twinkling stars lit up the sky. It was really a beautiful sight. Unfortunately I wasn’t in a good enough mood to enjoy it. “How’re you feeling?” Ryan spoke quietly and softly. He slipped an arm around my shoulders and basically gave off the impression he thought I was going to break. “I guess I’m ok. Worried is all.” He gave me a weak smile and I tried my best to return it. It probably looked pretty pathetic. “What if he doesn’t come back?” I felt tears stinging my eyes again. “Well…what did he say?” “He promised me. He said he’d never leave me.” “Then he won’t.” There was no hesitation. Ryan didn’t miss a beat. “He’d never break his word, especially not to you.” I smiled for real this time. Ryan always knew the right thing to say. Even if a million people had said it before, hearing it from Ryan always helped. “Let’s do something to take your mind off this.”

We ended up sitting through some random chick flick. I was kind of surprised Ryan would pay good money to see a chick flick but, then again, he’s always said he’d do anything to cheer me up. Besides, I saw him laughing at least twice!!

“Did you like it Ry?” I asked, still laughing a little from the ending. “Well…” He was bluuushing! Ooooooh!!!! “Aww. It’s ok. I won’t hold it against you.” We both laughed and headed over to the Starbucks. I don’t know about Ryan, but I really needed some caffeine.

“Chip?” I looked up at him. He looked worried. Maybe because for the last 5 minutes I had been staring at my hot chocolate. “Yeah?” I shook my head and blinked a few times. Trying to get back to reality. “Do you want me to take you home?” My face fell. I was (until about…5 minutes ago?) having a great time, and I never wanted it to end. “I guess so…” I didn’t know how to tell him what I was feeling. “You wanna stay at my house for a bit?” My face lit up and I started smiling. “Ivy?” I asked raising an eyebrow. “Out of town. Business meeting.” I sighed with relief as we got up and walked out to his car. This could actually end up being a good night.

I woke up the next morning…in Ryan’s bed? OH MY GOD! WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED?! I looked around the room, and then to Ryan sleeping peacefully, then at my own fully clothed body. I laid back down and curled up next to Ryan. “Morning.” He smiled and I smiled back. I could sooooo get used to this. “Good morning.” I closed my eyes and dozed for a bit, before being rudely awoken by Ryan. “Come on Chip. I love you a lot and wish I could let you sleep all day, but Ivy’s coming back and I don’t want her to find you here. I scrunched up my nose but climbed out of his bed. I hated the fact that everything had to be Ivy safe but, it’s better then nothing I guess.

“Bye Chip…I love you.” Ryan gave me one last kiss as I hopped out of his car. Of course, I didn’t want to go back to the house, but I had too. It wasn’t like living with my parents…err…mom was optimal.

“Did you have a nice time with Ryan?” Good old mom. Still thinks we’re just friends. “Yeah. Have you…heard from dad?” I managed to get the entire sentence out but I could see mom’s eyes start to water. “No. Not yet. I’m sure we will soon.” I gave her a weak smile and then went upstairs to me room. There was nothing more we could say or do. We just had to wait for dad to return.

Brendon’s POV: I still can’t believe all this is happening. I mean…I never cheated on Katie. I have NO idea where she got that idea. I’d never do anything to hurt her or Chip. I love them both so much, and it kills me that they’re both going through this much pain. I think…maybe I should go away for a while. Give them both some time to figure things out, but I don’t want to leave Chip. She’s going to end up getting hurt by Ryan; I just know it. When he finally ditches her for Ivy, I don’t want her to be alone. I want to be there to make sure she’s ok. I’m her father god damn it! I shouldn’t have to leave her!

I slammed my fists down on the hotels table. This whole situation is unfair. I can’t decide whether to go back to the girls, or to leave and give them some time to themselves. I know Katie wouldn’t want me there, but would she really want me to leave? God I’m so confused.

That’s it. I’m going to just have to leave. If you really think about it, there’s no other option. However…there is one thing I can do. Something that I’m sure they’ll understand, and maybe even take to heart.

Chip’s POV: I ran to pick up the phone. Mom hadn’t got it and that meant it was up to me. “Hello?” “Chip. Go get your mother.” It was dad. DAD HAD CALLED! “OMG DADDY! Where are you? When are you coming home? What are you doing?” He didn’t answer. “Go get your mother.”

I took the stairs two at a time down to the kitchen. “MOM!! IT’S DAD!!! LISTEN!!” I put it on speakerphone. “Dad?” “Are you both there?” “Good. Listen.” All I head was an acoustic guitar…it was playing Cancer…right in the middle of the song.

“It just ain’t living and I just hope you know…” It was dad singing as well. “That if you say. Good-bye todaaaay. I’d ask you too be true. Cuz the hardest part of this is leaving you. Cuz the hardest part of this is leaving you.”

Suddenly the phone hung up, and mom and I burst into tears. Does this mean he’s never going to see us again? Is he never coming back? Was that his way of saying good-bye forever? It can’t be. He promised he’s be back…he promised…