Status: very slow

Just a Story of One Little Girl

Chapter 12

Jason and I sat on my bed, waiting for our friends to arrive. I had been two weeks since everyone stormed my house, and we had narrowed the planning committee down to me, Jason, Aiden, J’s three friends: Kevin, Austin, and Greg, and my three friends: Miranda, Emily, and Cecilia (much to Jason’s dismay).

“I still don’t see why those stupid girl friends of yours have to help.” Jason had been bringing up this topic since we saw each other this morning.

I sighed. “Because they’re my friends.” I told him for the millionth time. This time I decided to see what was wrong with having them help us “Why don’t you like them anyway?”

“It’s not that I don’t like them—“

I cut him off. “Come on, Jase. Who do you think you’re fooling? You’ve been complaining all day! Just tell me!” I demanded.

He stared at me for a moment before answering. “They’re bitches, Kenzie. I know you don’t want to see it, but they don’t really care about you. They only like you cause you let them copy off you in class, and your “hot” older brother drives them home almost every day.”

I felt the tears well up, but I blinked them back. He was right: I didn’t want to see it, but I knew it was true. I denied it anyway. “That’s not true! How could you say that? They’re my best friends, and they would do anything for me. You’re just jealous because I hang out with them more.”

Jason gave me a hard look that quieted me immediately. I knew I was being stupid about this, but I couldn’t let it go. “My friends care about you more, and they just met you. They asked us about your bruises. And your friends?” He laughed coldly and his voice got softer. “They brushed it off like it was nothing. ‘She doesn’t get along with her brothers.’ That’s what they said. I know they don’t know the truth like I do, but they suspect. Anyone would.

“I didn’t tell them. I knew you wouldn’t want me to. But my bros came up to me yesterday after you came in to school limping.” I looked down. It was true that my father had lost it two evenings ago when I told him point-blank that I was having friends over again. He kicked me, but didn’t go further because of my cast.

Jason continued. “Austin was really worried, said he thought something was really going on, more than what your idiot girl friends say. He’s the most oblivious guy ever, by the way.”

I frowned. My cast was itchy, but I ignored it. I was trying to think of a response, but Jason started speaking again. “Are they mad at you for not contacting Frank first?” I shook my head no. “I’m shocked! I bet you anything they’re going to try and coerce you into going after him instead.”

I stared at him. I was spared the obligation of responding, because at that moment, my door flew open. Miranda threw herself into my room, onto my beanbag chair, and the rest of the kids followed her, scattering themselves about the room.

The boys all smiled at me as they sat down. Unfortunately, Jason was absolutely right. “So, Mac, me and the girls were thinking…” Emily started.

“And we thought that finding your mom probably isn’t the best idea.” Miranda continued.

“Yeah, like, what if she’s dead or something. We don’t know anything about her.” Cecelia shrugged. “We know Frank’s alive and well, though.”

“So we think you should get together with him after the assembly!” They finished in unison. All I could do was stare back and forth between them and Jason. Finally, I cleared my throat and narrowed my eyes.

“We’re looking for my mother first.”

“But—“

“That’s final!” I interrupted Cecelia. “And if you don’t like it, you can leave.” The girls stared at me for a few seconds, but didn’t move.

“Maybe you should leave anyway.” I had expected Jason to say something like that, but the voice I heard was Greg’s. The girls looked mortified, so he continued. “I mean, you don’t seem to care about what happens to her all that much. You seem more interested in meeting MCR. I think it’s time you left.”

Miranda had fire in her eyes. “Who the fuck do you think you are! Saying we don’t care? Come on!” She scoffed. “We’ve been her friends since like 4th grade for God’s sake. And now, we’re helping her meet and move-in with famous people.”

“Ok!” Kevin smiled. “Now you’ve definitely overstayed your welcome. The door is over there, don’t let it hit you on the way out!” Seeing their faces, he got more serious. “You really don’t care. She doesn’t want to “meet and move-in” with famous people! Don’t you get it? She just wants out! Out of the house, out of this life; and I don’t know how you haven’t seen that something’s going on here more than just sibling rivalry if you’ve been friends for so long. Get out. Now!”

The girls were shocked. Even Miranda was left speechless, and she always has something to say. They just sat there on the beanbag chair and pillows, mouths hanging open at the truth that had just been said.

I looked at Jason. He wasn’t smiling, but had a mixed look of sadness and anger. I could tell he didn’t like how this was turning out, but there was nothing either of us could do about it.

Apparently, Kevin couldn’t take it after a few minutes of the girls not moving. He headed straight over to Miranda and picked her up, carrying her out of my room. That did the trick because, in an instant, Cecelia and Emily followed him out. Kevin came back a few moments later and closed the door, locking it.