Status: very slow

Just a Story of One Little Girl

Chapter 21

It took me a little over three hours, limping the way I was. When I got to school, it was 6:52 and kids were all over the place, just hanging out until school started. I walked into the cafeteria, and saw Miranda talking to one of the band kids. She caught my eye and glared at me, but I broke the stare and limped away toward the table Jason usually sat at.

When I got to his table, he jumped up and hugged me. I winced at the pressure, but he didn’t notice. “Oh God Ma – Ellery! Where were you? You’re much later than usual. I was getting worried.”

I ignored his question. “Did you just call me Ellery?”

“Yup!” He answered emphatically. “I figure it’s a pretty name and you keep using it to introduce yourself to new people, so why not?”

I nodded at my best friend and sat down. I put my head on the table and closed my eyes, trying to ignore the pain in my lower regions. All of a sudden I heard Kevin growl.

“Leave us alone, Hunter” he warned. I bolted upright and sure enough, right behind me, was my brother looking very smug.

“I just wanted to come over and say hi to my adorable baby sister,” he said innocently. I stared up at him and he smirked.

“Get away from her,” Austin warned in a low voice. “Now. I mean it. Me and Kevin are black belts in karate and Greg’s a kick boxer. You don’t want to mess with us.”

My brother contemplated Austin. He nodded, but motioned for me to follow. Hesitantly, I did, wincing as I got up from the table. Before I could take two steps, however, Austin grabbed me. “Are you ok?”

I nodded. “I’m fine.” I didn’t even try to make up an excuse.

“Ellery, what happened?” he pressed. He wouldn’t let go of me.

“Nothing.” I wasn’t willing to give up any information; real or fake.

“El, what’s going on?” Jason intervened. “You seem totally dead today.”

“I’m tired, ok?” I snapped. I tried to twist out of Austin’s grip, but he was too strong.

Suddenly, Aiden appeared seemingly from nowhere. His eyes were full of remorse as he wrapped me in his arms. “I am so sorry, baby,” he whispered. “How could I let that happen. Are you ok?”

I stared at him. “Am I ok?” I repeated. “Seriously? That’s the only thing you can think to say right now?” He looked at me confused and I answered his unasked question in polish, in hopes that Jason wouldn’t cause a scene in the cafeteria. “How bout telling me it’s going to be alright. That I’m going to be alright. Reassure me I’m not gonna get an STD or something. Let me know I’m not pregnant! For God’s sake Aiden, don’t ask me if I’m ok because quite frankly I don’t even know.”

MY brother pulled me close again and I snuggled into his chest. I didn’t cry, I refused to be so weak. I felt more people join the hug, and relished in the love that I so desperately needed. The bell rang and we broke apart, going separate ways for our classes.

I kept my head down as I walked and strode into my first class. As soon as I did I heard, “Hey! The pre-k called. They’ve been looking for you.” I glared at Bryan and punched him. The boy laughed at my weakness and I felt tears welling up. This was too much today.

“What are you even doing in here, Bryan?” I spat.

He smirked. “Didn’t you hear? Our English classes are splitting today. 10 from your class are going to Mr. Wood, and 12 from my class are coming here.”

I sat down and slammed my head on the desk as he happily sat next to me. I looked to my right and saw Rob, a football player, casting concerned glances between Bryan and me.

Class started, and with it came the snide comments. I ignored them as best I could, but when our teacher had s read silently so she could set something up, Bryan stole my book. “A baby like you shouldn’t read this. It’s way too advanced. Here” he gave me a copy of Amelia Bedelia.

I reached for my book, but Bryan held it over his head. “Not so fast, midget. You have to really want this book for me to give it back.”

I made a strange noise and Rob looked up. “Bryan, just give her the damn book.”

Bryan laughed cruelly. “I don’t think so. She deserves this for what she did to me a few weeks ago.” He turned to me. “You made me a laughing stock in front of everyone. I don’t forgive people so easily.” With that, he put my book into his backpack and smirked, putting his bag between his legs.

I put my head down on my desk, my hair completely hiding my face. I couldn’t take it! I was on the edge of a breakdown. I took a few deep breaths and cleared emotion from my face before sitting up. Bryan was a jerk, but I refused to lose my patience in the middle of class again.

I looked at the boy sitting next to me. Rob was blatantly watching the both of us. “Bryan,” I began, touching his arm and putting on a fake look of apology. He looked up at me. “I’m really sorry for what I did. You just caught me on a bad day. I hadn’t had a good sleep the night before and I had a big fight with Aiden that day, and Hunter was being more of a jerk than usual. I guess you were just the straw that broke the camel’s back.”

Bryan looked me dead in the eyes. “Too. Bad.” It was like a slap to the face.

My hand shot up into the air. “Excuse me, Ms. Paisof! I have a guidance appointment in five minutes. Can I go now?” My teacher nodded and I dashed out of the room. I began wandering aimlessly through the hallways trying to calm down.