Perplexity

Chapter 2

I woke up the next day in the bed of a pick-up truck. The sun was shining as beach goers started to flood the sands. I sat up and looked over at Gerard, who was still sleeping.
“Gerard.” I said.
“Gerard” I hissed again louder and shook him a bit. His eyes snapped open.
“What?” He yawned and stretched.
“We fell asleep in the truck.” I mumbled and threw the blanket off my legs as I jumped out of the truck.
“What time is it?” He managed out and blinked as he looked into the sun. I flipped open my cell phone.
“Ten.” I have to get home and help my parents pack.”
“Do you really have to leave?” He asked sadly as he jumped out also and started throwing the blankets into a tool box in the corner. I walked from the passenger door to him and wrapped my arms around him.
“You think I want to leave? I would love to stay here.” He turned around so I could jump on his back.
“I love you, but this wasn’t my decision.” I whispered and jumped down in front of the door again. He smiled.
“Then ask you parents to stay because of me.”
“Pssh. If anything they are making me leaving because of you.” I rolled my eyes and climbed in. He jumped into the front seat and stuck the keys in the ignition. He backed out of the parking space and started for my house. It was silent for about a half-hour. I finally broke the silence.
“I hate my parents.” I mumbled.
“Yeah, well my par-“ He was cut off by the sound of grinding metal, shattering glass, and the blood curdling scream of pain from me. I saw blood appear from the side of my face and Gerard couldn’t have been bleeding any worse. The screeching of brakes and the gasps of pain and shock from us both was the last thing I heard before it went black.