Perplexity

Chapter 3

To wake up in a room with strangers is terrifying. To add machines is worse.
I opened my eyes to hear beeping machines and see my mother crying my father’s shoulder. He looked over at me and relief and happiness washed over his face.
“Don! Don! She’s awake.” My dad cried and my mom looked over at me faster then ever. Her worry turned into relief.
“What happened.” I mumbled. Then my memory jogged. I sat straight up.
“Where’s Gerard?” I asked quickly.
“Well, honey, Gerard is in and out of a coma. He is in really bad shape and there’s a chance me might not live.” She squeaked. Before I knew it I was tearing of wires and running down the hall frantically looking in every room I passed. People gave me looks and stares, but I ignored them. I finally reached his room. My eyes started to well with tears. They had machines and tubes hooked up to him in every other place and he breathed steadily and silently.
I walked over and touched his hand. I brushed some hair out of his face. It was warm with life, but he looked dead. It only took one look at him to make me break down crying on his lap The smell of the sea still lingered in his black shorts, in crested with sand. My mother rushed in with a nurse soon after.
“Annica, they need you to get back on to those machines or you’ll pass out.” My mom breathed heavily. I couldn’t look up from him.. The love of my life was on his deathbed and they wanted me to be calm?
“I want to stay here, with Gerard.” I sobbed.
“You can’t. We would like you to stay In your room another night and then you’ll be fine.” The nurse said. I looked up at his lifeless face once more and let a few more tears fall. I squeezed his hand and kissed his cheek.
“Come on.” My mom said and hugged me while leading me out of the room.
***

The fact that I might loose Gerard surged through me all night. I couldn’t sleep, and I couldn’t eat When I would fall asleep I would have nightmares, and when I would eat, it was very little. I wanted to go down and see him but nurses came in and out of my room too much. I tried to relax and watch TV or read, but I still felt sick. Sweat beaded down my face from tossing and turning. I finally did fall asleep