Yellow Dose of Obsession

III. The Man Who Never.

Beethoven’s Fifth Symphony was playing from inside my father’s bedroom. I could hear it from the front door.

As I opened it, I immediately saw Diane sitting on the couch, watching her favorite Spanish game show. She had lowered the television’s volume, apparently to give my father the chance to listen to his kind of music.

“How’s school, boy?” She smiled at me. “You look tired.”

I stared at her wrinkle-less face, thinking of what to say.

“I want to go to sleep,” I finally blurted out, throwing my bag on the floor.

And I started walking towards the stairs.

Now, the clown looked really disturbing that I had to stop. There he was, sitting on the couch, looking straight at me. His white powder seemed to be his true skin. His lips, bright red, displayed the widest of smiles. His eyes—oh, those eyes—looked like they knew every inch of your body. The clown was there, looking at me. Pointing at me. Standing up, and approaching me. Watching my every move.

“Do you want to play?” It said using his hoarse voice.

And I had to run. I had to run upstairs, straight to my room. Straight to the place where I always found safety. I quickly hid under the covers.

Thoughts were racing through my mind. I have to be brave, they said. I have to avoid being treated like… like a…

And then, Beethoven’s Fifth Symphony ended.