Status: Active

Doves and Crows

Chapter Nine

My pastor was the holiest man I knew.

I know that’s not really a shocker, I mean pastors are supposed to be, right? But most of them rambled, preaching lines like machines. I can’t stand those types of men, with their full guts of gluttony and shiny shoes.

But my pastor, well, he was different.

He read the verses with different modes of passion: sometimes bursting out in heated speeches of adoration, other times whispering the lines like secrets.

“The power of the Lord is great. He can cure us of any illness, take away all impure thoughts, and guide us down the path of righteousness. His love and mercy extends to each and every one of us, but do not believe for an instant that He rejects punishment. All the evils of our world are struck down by His…”

His name was Gilroy Strachan.

But during this sermon, instead of him having my full attention, the girl next to me broke my concentration. You see, on this particular Sunday morning, Lilith Hoots decided to go to church with me. However, the girl wasn’t really the religious type. To my right I noticed her looking down at her penny loafers.

“Pay attention, Lil,” I said poking her leg. Her spaced out expression flew away and she raised her eyebrows in surprise, but only seconds later she put on a smug mug.

“Oh hush,” she joked in a church whisper. I placed my hand on her knee for the third time over the past two days. The reason she had decided to come with us this morning was because her family went on a trip to the Galapagos and my family had gladly let her stay in our guest room. It would have been inappropriate for her to stay in mine. I don’t particularly agree, I’d told my parents we’d been going steady for coming up nine months (a lie that barely got me time alone with Lilith after dark). Anyways, she let me keep my hand in place and turned back to Pastor Strachan.

“Now let us have a moment of silence for the Murphy family. No doubt we have all heard of the atrocities plaguing them,” he said walking across the front of the apse, a mosaic of Mary and Jesus behind him. Across the aisle and two rows up I saw Sarah Murphy and her husband Ron lean against each other and weep.

“Poor souls,” Lilith said with pity, her green eyes fixated on the two of them. I took it as an opportunity to slide my hand up further. But I reached a little too far because Lilith swatted my hand away.

“We’re in church,” she hissed looking around nervously. Father Gilroy cast his gaze in our direction and I smiled paying no attention to the broad next to me.

Then came the time for Confession and Lilith followed behind me until I entered the booth. The confessional held a certain power over me; it was always dark, even when it was bright out, and the wooden bench squeaked a moan. The musky scent sometimes made me woozy.

In other words, the place game me the creeps.

“Forgive me Father, for I have sinned,” I said with a clear of my throat.

“Robert, I didn’t see you at last week’s congregation,” he said and my face went hot in the drafty box. He was probably the only person who could embarrass me.

“I’m sorry, Father,” I mumbled. “I was sick that weekend,” I excused remembering my embarrassing week and my night of drinking.

“I’m sure that night before was hectic, but don’t add lying to your list of sins, my son,” he said with an all-knowing hum.

“Forgive me, Father,” I said trying not to laugh. “In the past weeks I have given into moments of lust and consumed the devil’s drink,” I admitted letting out a deep sigh of relief. Father Strachan didn’t say a word for a minute, so I wondered if he had heard me. I turned my head to look at the screen separating us and felt a chill go down my back. Instead of facing forward like he usually did, I saw by his outline that he was looking straight at me. “Father?”

“Nothing you'd like to add, my son?” he asked turning his head back to its usual position. I gulped and took a breath to calm myself. I thought silently to myself what I could have done and stumbled upon the Tower.

“I’ve passed judgment on the less fortunate when I’m supposed to help them,” I said with excitement. Not for being sinful, but for coming up with another sin to get off my chest. “Sorry, Father.”

“Just do your prayers and He shall forgive you,” he said using a foreign tone. After a few second, after I had began lifting myself from the dreaded bench he spoke again. “I assume you’re talking about those girls in the hospital,” he said with, not so much a demanding tone, but one of great curiosity.

“Yes, Father, in the tower. How do you know about them?” I asked lowering myself back down with a creek of the wood.

“I often visit them around Easter and Christmas time, yes. Is there a problem there?” he assured me. I felt something cold rise from my stomach into my chest.

“Ever since the incident two weeks ago I’ve had community service there,” I answered sensitively.

“You’ve passed judgment on the young ladies?” he asked as someone walked in front of my booth, casting a shadow on me inside.

“Yeah, her and the red headed doll,” I said, the scene concealing a small smirk I had at the thought of Nurse Delilah. The fact that I felt nothing of disgust or pity from Father Strachan surprised me.

“I’m glad to hear you have at least abstained from impure action if not impure thought. Tell me about these ladies,” he beckoned but a sudden rap on the door shook the confessional. A muffled whine came from beyond the box.

“Robbie, let’s go,” I heard and I leaned forward to look through the peep hole. I saw the neckline of Lilith’s dress.

“I’m sorry, Father,” I said regrettably. “She doesn’t go to church often.”

“It’s alright my son. Now do your prayers and I’ll see you next Sunday,” he said and I made the sign of my faith: forehead, chest, left shoulder, and then the right. I let myself out of the booth and took in the less musky air. Lilith stood at attention smiling, her ankles crossed and hands neatly folded in front of her. I took her elbow and led her to the front of the church where my family would be.

“What was so important that you needed to interrupt Confession?” I whispered and she frowned.

“Those church women were gossiping about me. I thought church-going-women were supposed to be righteous and whatnot,” she hissed. I moved my hand to around her waist. I knew which group she spoke of, too. There was a bunch of grey haired Irish women who sat in knitting circles and housewives who had their ‘reading clubs’ who took pleasure in their gossip.

“Don’t pay attention to them, doll face. They’ll find a new topic to whisper about in no time,” I said and kissed the top of her hair. “Rest your pretty little head.”

“It’s not just them, Robbie. People at school are starting to spread rumors about me. Like just Thursday I read on the bathroom stall ‘Lilith Hoots: Head Cheerleader or Head…” she paused with her face turning red. “Well, ever since I started spending time with you and your baseball team I’ve been seen as less of a lady.”

No one really thought of you as that much of a lady in the first place.

“What do you think can fix that?” I asked and she pouted.

“I was hoping you could talk to some people about it. That or you can make me your girl,” she mumbled. I tried to hide my disdain. Couldn't she take charge of her own life?

At least she’s a barn burner.

“We’ll see what happens,” I told her squeezing her closer to my side. She flinches away from me and made me remove my arm.

“What does that mean? Baby will you do it or not?” she asked putting her hands on her hips.

“Hey Robert!” Someone shouted from our right. Matthew came running up and patted me on the shoulder.

“Hey, Matt. What’s shakin’?” I asked as he finished saying ‘good morning’ to Lilith.

“The boys are heading down to the Pier for lunch and a game. Paul and I can’t make it but the others wanted me to give you a heads up,” he said and tipped his hat to both of us before taking his leave.

“Got to go, babe,” I said planting a wet one on her. “See you tonight,” I whispered with a wink. Lilith stood there stunned and blushing.

And that is how you get out of a sticky situation.

So I told my mother and father where I’d be going and they told me to keep my church clothes clean. I kissed my mother’s cheek and walked my way to the Pier. When I arrived, about half the team was missing and Luke was hanging from the top of lamppost.

“Hey Robert,” he said with a slight smirk and jumped down to greet me. I said hello to him and everyone else.

“So what are we doing down here?” I asked patting the side of the boat. Luke sighed gruffly and leaned on the port side.

“We would have started a game by now, but too many people are at church or with their family,” he grumbled. A part of me wanted to be disappointed, but in all honesty I was still too much in a funk over thinking of Annette to care.

“We’re just going to go down to the soda join and chill for a bit, you down?” Todd asked as he tried to hang upside down from the wheel. Luke was slow to reply as he repelled himself from the boat.

“What else do we have to do?” he moaned. The rest of the team agreed hastily and followed Luke’s lead down to the soda-join three blocks away. Just as we passed the Ham House, some low-life brushed my shoulder and ended up crashing right into Luke. His notorious temper flared up and he gripped the guy by the biceps.

“Get off me you crummy bastard!” he grunted, shoving him until he got off of Luke. As he got up I noticed a rather large insignia on his forearm. “My God, would have thought your damn mother would have taught you some—”

“My apologies, Sir, my friend doesn’t know what he’s saying. I’m sure he’ll look where he’s going for now on,” I said rushing to help Luke stand.

“Good choice, Mac,” he grumbled and walked away without even looking at Luke. Luke, who now was giving me one hell of a glare, cleaned off his slacks.

“What the hell was that about?” he asked. I shoved his shoulder.

“Dip-wad, he’s part of the mafia, you know, the people that whacked Al’s neighbors this weekend. Do you want to be killed?” I asked leading the group ahead. Luke took a minute to catch up to the front again.

“Well then, I guess I’m buying your pop today, Robert,” he sighed throwing his arm around my shoulder. I grinned and patted him on the back.

“What do you expect? I am your savior after all!” I shouted before pushing him off. “So if I beat you to the Parlor you’re buying everyone’s glasses!”

I took off on a dead run for the next two blocks. I passed a group of Irishmen in an ally and then a husky Russian in another with a dirty woman. But by the time I got to the soda shop, all there was around me were kids pulling at their parents’ hands and dogs running off their leashed. I enjoyed the scene while I could but Luke come barreling in next to me a few seconds later.

“Jeez, you run like a madman,” he heaved and bent over to breathe.

“Guess drinks are on you,” I snickered and entered the shop. Once Luke followed everyone else inside, head hung in despair, he ordered up a round of floats.

“So kind of you, Luke,” Sean sang as he popped a cherry from his pop in his mouth.

“Yeah, yeah whatever. You should steal more bases, Robert, you’re one hell of a runner,” he replied sluggishly.

“No problem, my boys,” I said beginning to chug down my pop.

“So how—hey cut it out, Sean!” Eric quipped smacking away his pal’s hand from his untouched batch of cherries. “Anyways, how is that deal with your gal going?”

“You mean that Annette chick?” I asked playing it off coolly. “They have her in solitary I think.”

“She’s that much of a nut?” Al asked watching Eric cling his float closer to his chest and away from Sean.

“Just goes to show you all women are crazy, even the sweet lookin’ ones,” Sean commented.

“But she sure is a barn burner,” Luke popping both cherries in his mouth. The couple next to us saw and grimaced a bit.

“You’ve seen her? When?” I asked continuing to not show signs of anxiety.

“I was just coming back from the upper tower when I got you out of that business with Miss Crowe.”

“I thought only the nurses could get you up there,” I added eating around my cherries. Luke smirked and pulled the cherries back out of his mouth.

“The ladies find me rather persuasive,” he laughed before gulping down the fruits.

“How was the dame?” Sean asked playing with his church tie. “Know why she’s in there?”

“Nah, but she seemed pretty out of it. She had this vacant look in her eye and this strange smile. Great figure though,” he said making a woman’s shape with his hands.

“I thought you said you couldn’t see her figure through the patient gown, you lying hound dog,” Calvin said. I gave Luke a shove and tried not to glare. He tried not to laugh but ended up doing it anyways.

“Don’t worry about it, bud. I saw her from behind a screen, no flesh I promise,” he said giving me a smile. “But I can make it happen for you if you want. The nurses there are not exempt from my persuasive ways.”

“Come on, Robert! Let’s go see her,” Todd said. I know he was trying to be my buddy and all, but I didn’t think I could even face her.

“Maybe we shouldn’t,” Sean said gripping his empty glass. Eric stuck his hands under his big, muscular shoulders.

“What are you, afraid of a few crazy girls?” Al asked laughing. “Come on Luke, pay the bill and let’s look it!” The group heckled Luke until he paid and left for our walk to the hospital.

“My God, Robert, you walk here every day?” Sean asked looking around at the poverty and hookers.

“You’re such a wimp,” Tim laughed giving him a punch in the shoulder.

“Ouch!” Sean grunted and Eric patted his back. I noticed the pick-pocket from two or three weeks ago leaning against a lamp pole. He didn’t have the watch on him anymore.

“Must have hocked it,” I mumbled pushing my hands into my church blazer pockets.

“What’s that?” Todd asked as he walked backwards.

“Oh… umm… Can we even visit right now? I’m not sure it is visiting hours,” I said quickly. Luke put his hand on my shoulder.

“You need to relax, Robert. I said I’ve got this,” he said. “Well here we are!” he laughed as we caught sight of the Tower.

“Race you there,” Tim laughed shoving Mark and Al out of the way. Everyone raced up to the hospital at full speed.

I couldn’t help tagging along.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm sorry I haven't updated in so long, but due unimportant reasons I have more free time. I hope you guys enjoy my updates. Keep up the comments and subscriptions, please!