Beyond the Mirror

An Unfriendly Face

"What are you doin' in here you little maggot..."

My uncle's voice lowered from a bellow to a dangerous whisper as I quickly broke off the connection with the beautiful Earth girl. Eimelee, I think she said her name was... and how beautiful too. Her eyes a captivating mix of browns and greens, blues and purples, I had never seen a person with mixed eyes before. While I had been scrying, I heard her through the mirror, and her voice had captivated me. Why did she sound so heartbroken? I closed my eyes as I recalled what she had said about herself, "I hate you! You're stupid, you're ugly, and you're weak! I HATE YOU!"

Another loud rap at the door woke me from my daydream. I hustled over to the door and opened it, immediately casting my eyes to the ground. If there was one thing that made uncle madder than ever, it was an insubordinate looking at him eye to eye, so I wisely kept my gaze riveted to the floor.

"Good evening Master. What is it you ask of me?"

Even though I am a member of his bloodline, Uncle Cassius was Emperor of Summervale, and demanded respect from everyone below him, and that included me. If I referred to him without a title, I surely would receive a beating, or worse. His full title was Emperor Cassius the Scourge. It was no secret that Uncle Cassius was a tyrant. He killed both of my parents in a fight over the throne back in the year 313, I was only 3 years old. Since then, Cassius has made it his mission to squeltch every rebel faction in Summervale, and mobilize to take control of all the other provinces. He put together his own personal army, known throughout the land as the Black Hand, and wherever they go, death follows. Not only does Cassius have soldiers and warriors at his disposal, but many of them are magic users like me, a talent that has been dwindling in humans the last 300 years or so. Not only that, but his army is full of non-human creatures, evil, undead creatures summoned by his most powerful dark mages. The only people that stand in the way of the Empire are the elves of Tel Aviv, the last sanctuary. Tel Aviv is a vast river valley, full of woodlands and enchantments. It is because of these enchantments, and the resolve of the elven rebels that Cassius has been unable to take the province, we've been in a stalemate for the last 5 years or so, neither province has gained or lost ground.

"I came up here to tell you to shut your hole Tristan! The servants heard voices coming from inside this room. A woman's voice to be exact. You aren't sending information to elven spies are you....?" His voice was calm, but one thing I have learned about my Uncle Cassius is that the quieter he is, the angrier he is.

"Of course not Master. My loyalties lie with you, they always have. I am greatful for your mercy." Ever since he slew my parents, Cassius has always been suspicious of my loyalty. I personally believe that he would have left me for dead if I had not already begun to show the signs of a powerful enchanter. Humans born with the ability to do magic at all are rare, but to have the powers of an enchanter? I have become the Emperors ace in the hole, I know that he is just biding his time until he can send me away to destroy the elves, against my will or not. When I come of age, Cassius has promised me a high position in the ranks of the Black Hand. Cassius has kept me to a strict training regimen, expanding my skills and discovering new ones as we go along. My tutor is the only elf left in Summervale, Mirdalas. He has taught me everything I know, and he is the only person I have ever thought of as family. He is kept in the tallest tower, without windows, because as all humans know, elves crave natural sunlight and fresh air. My Uncle keeps him here against his will, and in exchange for training me in the arts of magic, Cassius has agreed to keep feeding him. Sometimes I can even convince him to let us train together outdoors, under supervision of course.

"Yeah, well, you better be greatful I haven't snuffed your life out already, just like your parents! You work for me, GOT IT?"

"Of course master..." I whispered through gritted teeth, "I wouldn't have it any other way..." It took all of my willpower to bow before him, but on the inside I was thinking, "I want you to die you traitor! Just you wait until my powers grow stronger. Then we will see who's life gets snuffed out..." I must be careful, even with my own thoughts. Cassius has powerful vampires at his disposal that have been specifically trained to get inside your head. I shudder at the thought of one of those filthy creatures probbing around in my thoughts. Even with Mirdalas' training on blocking, I am only a child by elven standards, and these vampires have had centuries to hone their skills.

Cassius chuckled darkly and ruffled my hair.

"There's a good lad. Now quiet down in here and practice. We'll never be able to crush those impudent elves unless you practice! I don't want to hear any more about these "other voices" coming out of your room, unless you have bedded one of the maidens around here, got it!?" He laughed at his own joke before stomping away down the hall towards his study. As soon as he was out of sight I scrambled to my feet and closed the door tight.

"How am I ever going to get out of this mess?"
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry if the first couple of chapters seem boring, but I have to set up the characters. Things will be getting a bit more exciting in the next few chapters. Let me know if you like it.