Status: FIN (:

Love Me Patiently, Love Me Honestly

Chapter Seven

John

Walking back in to the house and seeing Kennedy and Maddie intertwined wasn’t the easiest thing to deal with, but I slapped on a calm face and tried not to clench my fists. All eyes were on me as I walked back to my seat on the couch, I gave them all smiles and turned my attention to the TV. The movie was almost over, thank God. I just wanted Maddie alone.

Once the movie ended everyone stuck around for about an hour after. We were all talking and Kennedy kept his hold on Maddie and she didn’t seem to be fighting it. I looked at the two with their smiles on their faces, and I had never wanted to kill Kennedy more than in that one single glance.

“John? John?” Kennedy called my name and snapped his fingers in front of my face.

“Huh, what?” I responded.

“You’re glaring at me. Are you okay?”

“Oh, yeah, sorry.”

Soon after all the guys headed for the door.

“John, you’re staying the night here right?” Maddie asked.

“Yes.” I smiled, hoping Kennedy heard.

“Okay, bye guys!” Maddie said and hugged each one of them. She looked at me awkwardly before hugging Kennedy. He pulled her into him and held her tight. I walked away and began cleaning up the living room.

Once everyone was gone Maddie and I went up to her room and laid on the bed.

“What do you want to do?” She asked. There was this unspoken tension between us but I wasn’t going to be the one to bring it up.

“Do you want to go ride my quad?” I asked.

“John, is that supposed to be some kind of sexual innuendo?” she asked, incredulous.

“No, I meant...actually ride the quad I have…perv.” I laughed.

“Oh, well…no, I don’t.”

“Why not?” I whined.

“I don’t know how to work one of those things, and its scary…”

“You don’t have to work it, you can hold onto me, and I’ll keep you safe. I promise.”

“Fine, lets go.” She said reluctantly.

We got in my car and drove to my parents house where my quad was currently being held. I wheeled it out to an empty parking lot right behind the house. Maddie looked scared out of her mind.

“Come on baby, don’t you trust me?” I asked, pulling her into a hug.

“Fine.” She said and jumped onto the quad. I got on in front of her and before I even turned it on she wrapped her arms around my waist and leaned her head against my back. I smiled to myself. This felt good. I started the quad off slow, only going about 3 miles an hour. We just went straight for a while. I sped up eventually and in five minutes we were going 11 miles an hour.

I made a slow turn and we tipped a little bit. Maddie squealed and tightened her grip on me. I rubbed her hands with one of mine. We continued to go straight and her grip loosened.

“This is kinda fun.” Maddie said in my ear.

I smiled back at her and sped up.

“That does not mean speed up!” She yelled. I slowed down and laughed.

“Can I drive?” She smiled.

“You really want to?” I asked, bringing the quad to a stop.

“Yep! I like these things.”

We switched spots and for 5 minutes she went 1 mile an hour. Every once in a while she would push the gas too hard and we’d speed up, but then she’d hit the brake and we’d jolt to a stop.

“You can’t do that Maddie.” I laughed.

“Why not?”

“It’s bad for the brakes.”

“Well what am I supposed to do?”

I sighed. “Here.” I put my arms on either side of her and placed my hands on hers. I moved her thumb to where it was lightly pressing the gas. This felt good, too.

“See, you just do it lightly, but keep steady.” I said as I slowly released her hand.

“Don’t let go.” She said, alarmed.

“Okay, okay.” I laughed and placed my hand on her again.

“Let’s go fast!” She said excitedly. I pushed the gas more and got us up to a fast pace.

“Okay! Let go now!” She said and I let go. I put my hands on her waist and held on. She went up to 18 miles an hour and I could tell she was having fun.

Suddenly, a car came into view down the road some. I didn’t mention it to Maddie because I figured she’d seen it and get out of the way. But as the car got closer I realized that may not be the case.

“Maddie!”

“John! What do I do! There’s no place to pull over!” She panicked. The car got closer and I grabbed the handlebars, I swerved out of the way just in time. I felt the quad begin to tilt and I wrapped my arms around Maddie. I made sure her head was against my chest and when we fell she was lying on top of me.

“Are you okay?” I asked over the motor of the quad.

“My ankle. It’s under the quad.” She said, I could here the pain in her voice, even though she was doing her best to hide it.

I got up and lifted the quad. Her ankle was blue and purple and really swollen.

“Come on, I need to take you to the hospital.” I picked her up and placed her in my car. Words can’t even describe how awful I feel.

“Maddie, I’m so, so sorry.” I said as I started down the street.

“Don’t talk to me.” She said, crossing her arms and looking away from me.

“Baby.”

“No, John. It’s your fault! I told you I didn’t want to go! I knew something bad would happen!” She pouted.

“I’m sorry! Forgive me, please!”

“Oh it’s gonna take a lot more than that.” She told me. We didn’t talk the rest of the way to the hospital and I just felt so bad. The ER wasn’t busy so we got in right away. The doctor examined her and did an X-ray. She said it was just very badly sprained. She’d need crutches for a least 2 weeks and have to wear a big boot on her left ankle.

The nurse helped her get the right size crutches and showed her the easiest way to walk and such. She glared at me every time she stumbled. Once we got back to the car I turned to her and grabbed her hands.

“Baby, I am so sorry. You have no idea. I would never want you to get hurt, and I feel so badly that you did. Please forgive me. I promise I’ll take care of anything you need for as long as you want. Pleaseee don’t hate me.” I begged.

“You’ll do anything? Like be my servant?” She grinned.

“Yes.” I told her.

“Okay, you’re forgiven.”

I smiled and hugged her.

“Your first task, get me some ice cream.” She ordered.

“Of course.” I smiled and helped her into the car.

We got back to Maddie’s house and once we get in she turned to the stairs.

“Make sure I don’t fall.”

“Do you just want me to carry you?” I asked, hoping she’d say yes.

“No, I have to learn sometime.” She said and began walking up the steps, crutch after crutch. She stumbled once and fell backward, but I caught her. Once she got to the top she turned to her room, once she was on the bed she threw down the crutches and laid down.

“I hate those things.” She said.

“I’m sorry.” I said for the billionth time that night.

“Will you get me some PJ’s?” she asked as she began taking off her boot.

I walked over to her drawer and pulled out some clothes. “Are these okay?” I asked and held up some blue shorts and a white shirt.

“Yes. And uh…will you help me get my pants off? My ankle is so swollen it hurts when I try. Stupid skinny jeans.” She smiled helplessly.

I walked over to her and began pulling at the bottom of her pants. I pulled off the right pant leg easily. With the left I tried to be as gentle as possible. But she was right, her ankle was really swollen and her jeans were really tight.

“Okay, think happy thoughts.” I told her and pulled on the pant leg as hard and quick as I could.

She screamed loudly and kicked her legs. She kicked her right foot right in between my legs and I fell to the ground.

“Oh my gosh.” I cried.

“Oh John! Are you okay!?”

I yelped and began rolling on the floor. Of course this happens. “Maddie, I thought you forgave me! Forgiveness doesn’t involve revenge too!”

“It was an accident! But now that I think about it, ha! We’re even.” She laughed.

I got up and ignored the pain in my groin. “Fine.” I said and laid down next to her.

“Heyy, you got my pants off.” She smiled. I looked at her and realized our faces were only inches apart. I think she realized it too because her eyes got more intense. I stared at her and just admired her beauty. I remembered what Garrett said about making her want me more, and I moved my face closer to hers. She didn’t move away. I put my forehead against hers and stroked her cheek with my hand. I worried she didn’t want this. But then she rested her hand on my chest and I took that as a right of way. The second before our lips touched I heard her front door open and slam shut. She pulled away quickly and sat up.

“Maddie!” I heard Pat yell as he ran up the stairs.

“No Pat stop!” I heard Garrett yell, a little more distant.

Pat ran into Maddie’s room and stopped when he saw me on the bed, and Maddie with her pants off.

“Uhh…sorry, to interrupt. But, I wanted to make sure you’re okay. I just got your text.” Pat said awkwardly.

“Yeahh, I’m fine.” Maddie said. She pulled on her shorts and grabbed her crutches. Come on Pat, let’s uh, go… get some food.”

They left the room and Garrett sat with me on the bed.

“I tried to stop him. I knew something good might be happening in here.” Garrett said.

“Correction, something good almosthappened in here.” I said. Disappointment was the only mindset I could think in right now and every thought killed me. It seemed like she wanted to kiss me, too. But what if it was just sympathy? What if she didn’t realize what was going on? What if she did want it, but now was having second thoughts?

And the worst of them all, what if she was thinking about Kennedy?
♠ ♠ ♠
Please, please, pleaseeeeee comment.